Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suitable track seats for larger drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005 | 12:10 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bull
I have seen the Kirkey seats that are designed to be installed at a 20 degree angle and have often wondered how one would be able to drive in that seat! I agree with John's observations on such a seat.

The Roadrace seat that I have is not designed to mount at such an angle, so there may have been a change in the design in recent years????? Mine is very near upright, with less than 10 degrees of recline in the seatback. The seat bottom is also inclined, with the rear of the seat cushion recessed lower than the front of the seat. <snip>
I entirely agree with Bob on this.
The negative rant that JH posts every time this subject comes up simply does not match with the facts I see. I fitted my 951 with the Kirkey Deluxe RR using the Kirkey side mounts onto Sparco rails. The fitting was simple, and the range of rake adjustment provided by the rear holes in the side mount plates was more that adequate to get a perfect angle for my 6'4"+ frame. A simple install, and a great seat. No affiliation, but a very happy user.
Old 07-10-2005 | 12:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Bob
I think I'm going to get a set based on what I've seen in your car, your recommendations and others and having sat in the kirkey seats at Stable Energies. Bob also suggested adding a back brace to the seats as well, is this worth it? I've heard stories about the incident at a LRP club race a couple of years ago where someone was killed, and that maybe a seat brace might have helped.

I just have to find a buyer for my sparco torinos now... maybe I could make them into office chairs instead, but without the harnesses, unless we start chair surfing in the hallways again.
I would get the seat-back braces in all cases where there is a cage or rollbar for mounting.

You should be able to sell your Sparcos through the various websites. I could have used them in my Seattle days....rolling around in an office (top floor) chair during earthquakes!
Old 07-10-2005 | 12:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by APKhaos
I entirely agree with Bob on this.
The negative rant that JH posts every time this subject comes up simply does not match with the facts I see. I fitted my 951 with the Kirkey Deluxe RR using the Kirkey side mounts onto Sparco rails. The fitting was simple, and the range of rake adjustment provided by the rear holes in the side mount plates was more that adequate to get a perfect angle for my 6'4"+ frame. A simple install, and a great seat. No affiliation, but a very happy user.
Tony, I think it may simply be that John and I are talking about two different Kirkey seats. Kirkey does make some "layback" seats, under several different model names. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/36000shopd.html

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/53000shopd.html

There are currently 21 different seats (not counting options within each model!) on the Kirkey website: http://www.kirkeyracing.com/

I also have no affiliation, and there are many good fitting, safe seats out there.
Old 07-10-2005 | 12:54 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Bob,
John specifically identifies the Deluxe Road Race model, which is why I posted. That's what I have, and it installed perfectly with none of the issues John raises. Not a major deal, but I don't like to see people turned off a great seat by single source negative reports when others have have properly installed and used the seats without a problem.
Old 07-10-2005 | 02:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tony, agreed. I may try to slip a slider under mine, as my driving position doesn't make for easy entry/exit from the car. But, I sure do like the headroom!
Old 07-10-2005 | 05:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Recaro ProRacer SPG XL (XL = 35mm wider)
Old 07-10-2005 | 06:20 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have Cobra Imola GT2 seats in my 993. OMP big would not fit. I'm 5'9" and 230.....ok 240.
T
Old 07-10-2005 | 08:24 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony;

You have been around long enough to know the difference between an aimless rant and constructive criticism. We have also BOTH been around long enough mutually that you should know better than to try and portray what I said as a rant. It MOST CERTAINLY WAS NOT A RANT. It was highly detailed information in answer to someones questions based on direct experience with what he was asking about.

I have tried these seats twice in two different cars and they did not work well at all. If you have had good luck with them, I'm just tickled pink for you. Just freakin wonderful! You're a "happy user", but if I was not similarly inclined I should shut up? I said nothing about you. I would expect that same proper treatment. Bad day in Virginia or what?

I simply added my two cents worth. OK... five cents. There is nothing worse than finding out AFTER you buy something that it doesn't work for you. Now, people looking at these - or any seats - may think longer, harder, and with more insite than before. That's all I care about.

Sorry all;

I am simply offering my experience. Take it leave it. As always I'm perfectly content to let my record of efficacious advice speak for itself.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob, et al - The Road Race Intermediate and Deluxe are only built one way. They are both 20 degree seats. Look at the drawings you posted and you should see what I am getting at in reference to "butt cup." These are the only seats that Kirkey builds with dead flat bases. This is one aspect of these seats that I feel is ill advised. I have spoken to Kirkey about this directly. Let's just say they admit to not being overly familiar with road racing, and leave it at that. You draw your own conclusions.

And please don't anyone confuse thick foam padding with body retention. This padding exists for comfort, and it will do nothing to hold you in if you hit something.

I'm glad they work for you, and I know we have no problem. I just always want to let people know about unforseen nuances that they were quite unaware of. It's the instructor in me, you know?
Old 07-10-2005 | 09:20 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RedlineMan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob, et al - The Road Race Intermediate and Deluxe are only built one way. They are both 20 degree seats. Look at the drawings you posted and you should see what I am getting at in reference to "butt cup."...................................................
I'm glad they work for you, and I know we have no problem. I just always want to let people know about unforseen nuances that they were quite unaware of. It's the instructor in me, you know?
John, no problems here. However the seats that I have installed are nowhere near "20 degree seats". Hopefully you will get a chance to take a look at Mosport when we are both in attendance. The seat bottom is not flat on my seat, and I would not, of course, be influenced by foam. (at least not since I was 16, which you may know was not very recently ).

Anyway, the original drawings I posted don't show me a "20 degree layback", nor did the installation. Of course, they don't show the bolt upright position of my Amish relatives "Dining Chairs" either.....but they don't invite me much any longer either.
Old 07-10-2005 | 10:29 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Thanks Bob - my experience exactly. The seat bottom on the Kirkey DRR is deep and that one of the things I really like about the seat. Not sure where the 20degree layback is coming from - if you use the Kirkey side mounts, your can set the angle within a nice wide range.

John, my comments are neither personal nor driven by "a bad day in VA". In fact, it's been a very nice day in VA. Its just that there are people who have different outcomes due to a multitude of factors. Generally speaking, if I have a bad experience with a product I try to find out if others have figured out a better way to use/apply it or if their experiences have been the same as mine. I've learned a lot from this board by asking just that kind of question.
Old 07-11-2005 | 03:13 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

i want one of the wide racetech seats, also in the TRG #88 car we have a cobra evolution gt seat and it is pretty wide.
Old 07-11-2005 | 08:22 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Recaro ProRacer SPG XL (XL = 35mm wider)
I have the SPG XL as my driver's seat (6'0", 210 lbs) and like it a lot. It is the same width as the Pole Position (and GT3 seat) but has higher placement and larger openings for the shoulder harnesses.
Old 07-13-2005 | 01:53 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Kirkey Seats

Are these seats "approved", is it FIA? I have also heard that the Kirkey seats may be too rigid in the event of a crash...but they are cheap compared to Recaros.

I have also heard that seat back braces that were all the rage a while back, may not be the best solution...

I have the Sparco EVO 2 seats. EVO 3 seats for the really big person, are tough to stuff into a 993. These have been great seats for me. I fluctuate between 240 and 260 Lbs, (6'2") depending on how much pasta and beer I am consuming. Even at my "Fat Weight" I can fit into the EVO II seats

If I were buying seats again, I'd see what the Porsche factory is doing in their race cars. I can assure you it is not Kirkey. Why? You tell me...I'd be curious to know.
Old 07-13-2005 | 01:05 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Bob,
John specifically identifies the Deluxe Road Race model, which is why I posted. That's what I have, and it installed perfectly with none of the issues John raises. Not a major deal, but I don't like to see people turned off a great seat by single source negative reports when others have properly installed and used the seats without a problem.
Purely as a point of order, not personal contention;

I feel it is a bit of a stretch to assume that someone has something "properly installed" just because it works for them physically. To assert this assumes that they know what a proper installation is, and what parameters are necessary for both ergonomics AND safety. The two are not mutually exclusive, nor are they necessarily bound together, but they can quite often be at odds.

The reality is probably just the opposite. It is much more likely that they simply have the item installed so it works physically. To make an item also work from a safety standpoint means you have to know what is and is not safe within that product's realm. I really don't think the majority of people have that knowledge. And so, there is Rennlist.

They are a very comfortable and well made seat. I simply have not had the "good luck" to have them work for both comfort and safety as others may have. It is not a question of not having found a "better way," it is a factual reality. I am not willing to compromise on these points, especially when I have found that a better solution exists elsewhere.

To each his own and caveat emptor.
Old 07-13-2005 | 07:56 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree that making assumptions is dangerous. I wouldn't assume either way about installation of safety equipment until I knew who did the insatallation and inspected it myself.

Quick Reply: Suitable track seats for larger drivers