Sponsored by:

Gingerman PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Dave Parker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gingerman PCA Club Race

It's raining here in Iowa today, so I thought I'd capture and post my videos from this weekend's club race.

My thanks to all the SEM folks for putting on a great event. The weather was excellent and so was the racing.

I've posted several different laps from the Group 3 Sprint Race. Most of the race was close racing and Rick Koehler ('F' 911 Carrera #40) beat me by inches at the finish (0.022 seconds according to PCA timing/scoring). I guess I'll have to mount my transponder out on my front bumper .

Here's a link to my web site with the videos..... Hope you enjoy.
http://members.rennlist.com/pdparker/
Old 07-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Be sure to watch that last vid

I had a front row seat for Dave and Rick's battle through the final corner (finished less than 2 sec behind them).

Unbelieveable move thru the last corner by Dave. I was sure there was going to be 13s flying. A classic contest of brakes vs horsepower.

As I said after the race, Dave, "Wow".
Old 07-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Bob M
Instructor

Thanks for the video's Dave -- they were great!

I was there also doing the DE part of the weekend in my black 996TT. The weekend couldn't have been better -- just what the doctor ordered. And, you are right, the weather was perfect.

I am including some pics I took as well. One of them is of my friend Rick Riley's newly finished RSR replica. He entered it into the DE as a shake down. He just returned from the Porsche Parade where he took 2nd place (295.9 pts) with it, missing 1st place by only 1 point! He wants to show it one more time before exposing it to racing wear and tear.

Funny story about this last weekend and his car ... Since this was a total rebuild, everything was taken apart. This included sand blasting the tub before repainting it. On his first run this past weekend, he found himself in the middle of the Sahara Desert, as residual sand made its way from the nooks and crannies into the interior of the car. That was a surprise but he took it pretty well. Looks like he will need to keep a shop vac handy for a while. The car itself ran great. We timed him in the low 1:27's. Here are the pics. Thanks again for the videos -- Bob Malone

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ds..._72_070205.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ds...72b_070205.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ds...0105_copy1.jpg
Old 07-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Dave Parker
Instructor

Mike,
If you watch the first lap .... you kind of got caught up in the trafic which allowed me to get a run on you going into 10.

It was great racing with you ... look forward to doing it again.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

lol -- Yes Dave, I was very aware of being caught in the traffic.

Your video also shows me coming back and nosing ahead after 10, then just how much better your brakes are going into 11.

Since they only gave us a 2 minute warning on grid, I didn't have time to get the video turned on before strapping in, or you would have heard lots of F words on the tape.

After that, I could only hang close to you guys but not get into it. I kept waiting for one of you to screw up, but neither did.

Great racing to both of you.

It was a ball and I look forward to our next weekend on track.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Great vids Greg,
I can catch a couple of seconds of my car from your shots. I had a battle going on with Erick Koler the whole race. BTW, one of your G class brothers was making short work of the middle of F class, D. Moses got by me, Erick K. D.Crossman and one of the auto edge guys in 2 or 3 laps. That guy was driving the wheels off his car!! I have the red 944 S2 with the Jordon "buzzin hornet" logos on my car, I dont think we got a chance to run together this weekend.
It was a great race weekend, all the cars were so close, it made for some excellent racing. I was in a pack of 5 from start to finish the whole race. We kept trading places for 25 min. and was glad to finish where I started!! (In front of Mike ,as seen in my avatar!!!!)
Old 07-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Dave Parker
Instructor

Eric,
I saw you guys up there, Dwayne Moses started right in front of me, then got by Rick. After I got by Rick I was trying to catch the group you guys were in, started making some progress, but then started getting pressure myself. Dwayne was really fast..... I hope to race with him again some time.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:56 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Gingerman is an awesome track for racing. In my sprint race, I was in a pack of 4 cars including Jeff Phillips and Kurt Konrath the entire race. Jeff started beside me and Kurt was directly behind me at the start. Jeff got me going into 1 and I followed him for many laps before his tires gave up and he went wide in 3. I finished .2 seconds behind a C car and .9 in front of Kurt in his 87 930. He was on me the whole race. It was without a doubt the best race I'll have. No rest at all.

Oh yeah, it was great to finally meet Mike and Eric and listen to them talking **** all weekend. I can't wait til Road America.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:57 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
You and Kurt both ran a great race and it was a blast to try to hold the two of you off...must have been very entertaining as I went wider and wider through each corner. Your patience certainly paid off! It was a really fun race for me too. EVERYTIME I looked in my rear view all I saw was your windshield, you were that close.

The C car was Janusz Tokarczyk from the Chicago region. He made a great move on me at the restart in turn one...even had me smiling.

As I added up the sessions, I ended w/ 16 heat cycles on the Toyos. They started to fall off about a second per session at about 14 but up until then, they were pretty darn good. Next test set will be the MPSC's. Looking forward to Road America as well...maybe we can repeat, with a slightly different outcome??? :-). Congratulations on a great race!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:25 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jeff, it was great to meet you. You certainly had your hands full with those tires. I got to see more and more of the side of you car in 2 and 10 each lap. Joe L was on the knoll watching and said you had the save of the weekend in 3.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:33 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good meeting you, too, John (remember me ... the guy with the gold-plated wrenches?). I was also on the hillside and witnessed Jeff's masterful save. I almost thought she was a goner as he left the pavement and started sliding quickly on the grass but his cool head and skill saved his bacon quite handily.

Thanks again, Jeff, for the great mentoring job. Your insights, encouragement and last-second dash for air really made for a great first PCA outing for me.

Nice job to you, too, Dave. I had a great view of the rear of your car as you cut through traffic on the sprint start. Wow! I tried to follow but ran out of legs between T7-T9.

And, yes, that Dwayne Moses is some kind of racer. I was gridded next to him on a couple of the practice starts and saw what going for a hole shot is all about. I have much to learn.

Great weekend! It's always a good time in the Turtle Pond.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 07-06-2005 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

So you are joey bagadonuts. Cool. I've been reading your posts for years especially when I was a frequenter on the 964 board. It was nice to meet you as well. I look forward to seeing you again at Road America.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:20 PM
softright
Advanced

Hey John and Jeff, I had a blast too. John, correction, my 87 is a 911 with a mass air flow that bumps me from F to D, no turbo. Look forward to seeing you guys at RA...Kurt Konrath
Old 07-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 174 Posts

Big thanks to all the wonderful folks I had the opportunity to meet at Gingerman this weekend, all the fellow "turtle-ponders", and to Eric and Kurt in particular. I really appreciate all the pointers in helping me get through my first race.

It was a blast and I will be back for many more, starting with Road America.

F-stock car is is back in office-commute service... Wonder how long THAT'S gonna last!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dave Parker
Eric,
Dwayne was really fast..... I hope to race with him again some time.
Check out Dwayne's best times from each session

Practice 1 did not run
Practice 2 1:46.771
Practice 3 1:41.265
Enduro 1:37.759
Sprint Warm-up 1:43.162
Sprint Qualifying 1:38.407
Sprint Race 1:37.311

Then check out his pass on me like I'm standing still between 3 and 5 in your first lap video.

Maybe it was his first time at Gingerman. Maybe he likes to grid himself so he can pass people. Whatever, he got very fast very quickly. Amazing...

Quick Reply: Gingerman PCA Club Race