Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the 996TT a Supercar for Track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:20 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Making the 996TT a Supercar for Track?

Given how low prices have gotten for some 2001-02 996TT's...here's a wicked thought.

Buy one for say ~ $70k...spend another $30-40K and send it to a reputable tuner like Ruf for total conversion. I mean 600+ hp, engine internals, exhaust, new tranny, suspension, brakes, aero, seats and safety equip. Then for ~ 100K one has a Super track car that blows everything away.

'Am I missing something here? Would like the experts to chime in with their thoughts...thanks.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Rennlist user ColorChange would be a good person to ask; or perhaps search for some of his posts.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:14 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My very inexpert opinion is that you'd end up spending more than 70K on the mods. So much would have to be thrown away off the 996. 4WD, for starters. The body sheet metal. The stock suspension. And isn't the motor in the 996TT the semi-dry sump? Porsche used the old 964 block for the GT3 and GT2 variants, which has an actual track-worthy dry sump system.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting idea though Jack brings up a very valid point. They're just too heavy to be competitive, so you'll end up spending additional monies to lighten it up. The reality is that the additional HP you're talking about is probably the least important mod you'll need if you're really intend to track the car. It's the suspension and weight that will have the most impact. Doesn't mean it won't be cost effective, but I'd sure do a real comparison to the costs of buying a used cup car or street GT3 with all the required goodies intact.

I've been throwing suspension, rim, and tire monies at my 993 TT for the past year and racing in C class. While I'm quicker than most anything out there down the straights, I get my *** handed to me in the turns by the lighter cars that simply don't have to push 3300+ pounds around and that includes GT3's (3,000lbs.). I would really consider upgrading one of those for a street/track combo. LWFW, Moton club sports, proper setup, and lighten it up a touch and you'll have a screamer for similar monies with reasonable maintanence costs and maybe even a warranty!

After racing them all year I wish I had gone that way....
Old 06-21-2005, 01:44 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Interesting idea though Jack brings up a very valid point. They're just too heavy to be competitive, so you'll end up spending additional monies to lighten it up. The reality is that the additional HP you're talking about is probably the least important mod you'll need if you're really intend to track the car. It's the suspension adn weight that will have the most impact. Doesn't mean it won't be cost effective, but I'd sure do a real comparison to the costs of buying a used cup car with all the required goodies intact.

I've been throwing suspension, rim, and tire monies at my 993 TT for the past year and racing in C class. While I'm quicker than most anything out there down the straights, I get my *** handed to me in the turns by the lighter cars that simply don't have to push 3300+ pounds around and that includes GT3's (3,000lbs.). I would really consider upgrading one of those for a street/track combo. LWFW, club sports, proper setup, and lighten it up a touch and you'll have a screamer for similar monies with reasonable maintanence costs. Wish I had gone that way....
How much weight can one...realistically...expect to shed from a 996TT?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JackOlsen
And isn't the motor in the 996TT the semi-dry sump? Porsche used the old 964 block for the GT3 and GT2 variants, which has an actual track-worthy dry sump system.
I believe the 996TT has the 'actual track-worthy' dry sump system from the GT1 derivative block.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
How much weight can one...realistically...expect to shed from a 996TT?
The 993 TT is just a little lighter than the 996 TT, and I've seen them down to as little as 2500 lbs. with 2 wd. and light weight body parts. You would see similar numbers in the 996 of course. I guess what I was trying to say is that after you spend all that time and money what have you gained in relationship to a used cup car or modified GT3? And the GT3 would still be streetable.

Just my $.02.....
Old 06-21-2005, 02:07 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I guess what I was trying to say is that after you spend all that time and money what have you gained in relationship to a used cup car or modified GT3?
The ability to run in GT1R

I would think that the 996tt is going to be the platform in a few more years in GT1R/S. 2500lbs, 600+hp, better aerodynamics, and more downforce will all equal one really fast car. Heck, the AWD is a big advantage if it can be setup correctly (there's a reason that most series ban AWD...).

Bobby, the issue is going to be cost. Development and tuning will take years and tons of $s. Very few people have done this, so I would double your estimate, and mentally budget $200k to fully develop a top notch 996tt race car.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I believe the 996TT has the 'actual track-worthy' dry sump system from the GT1 derivative block.
This is correct.

Bobby C,

The person you should ask is Rick Gilhart. Link here: Gilhart Motorsports

Greg A
Old 06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I have done a lot to my car but Rick Gilhart and Norm Goldrich are the people to talk to, not me. I;m not in their league.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Give time and money it can be done. Weight is only thing holding the car back in stock form.

What holds the car back in ligthened form is simply the cost effectiveness of the GT3 cup.

While you could make a 996 TT very fast it takes lots of development money and time. On the other hand you can just but a GT3 cup and go fast out the box with the need to develop anything. If drive well the car are already fast than jsut about anything. Want more speed get GT3 RS if you want to be super super fast.

When it comes to the 993 TT, well simply buy proper 993 GT2 factory to get that speed. Tweak from there for more speed.

That is not to say someone WON'T build fast GT1 style 996 TT. Certainly it could be done and the car could be quite fast. It will just take someone to explore the posilbillites.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I think Rick Gilhart owns the black 996TT that raced Sebring PCA. Very quick car. I was amazed at how stock it looked inside and out.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:29 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, I think you didn't have a close enough look. If my memory serves, full carbon fiber dash, ...
Old 06-21-2005, 04:31 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone has built a GT3 Cup with a twin turbo motor. I saw it zipping around in a club race or two last year. Sick.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:45 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Want more speed get GT3 RS if you want to be super super fast. .
I agree with this, if you think the 996tt have come down in price which make them a great value, do a search for GT3R, GT3RSs and you see a great value there. These cars are quick and require little or no development and when you finished with, you should be able to resale it.

Quick Reply: Making the 996TT a Supercar for Track?