Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pit to car radios - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 03:54 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pit to car radios - recommendations?

Any recommendations on pit to car communicators? Further, are there setups available that work from pit to more than one car and from car to car?

What are the different features and options I should be aware of and is there any key feature I should looking for?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There's a couple ways to go - cheap or good, or somewhere in between. Business radios will require a license from the FCC. - That might be more than you're willing to spend. If it isn't, you can look at
www.tracksideradios.com, Racing Electronics, Radio Head, or Racing Radios

FRS radios are UHF, only 1/2 watt, fixed antennas, probably not strong enough for your use. They don't require a license but use is restricted to family members.

GMRS radios are also UHF, up to 5 watt, external antennas, might work for what you want to do. Again restricted to use between family members, and they do require a license. It's $80 for 5 years, no test required.

An interesting choice might be a MURS radio. It's a set of VHF frequencies recently de-licensed by the FCC. 5 different channels, 2 watt power, external antennas permitted. Since they're so new there probably isn't much traffic on the frequencies.

Here's a good article explaining the different types of radios http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2003/0627.htm

Of course, there's always CB Radios. 10-4 good buddy?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I forgot to add - if both cars are on the same frequency one crew can talk to both drivers at the same time, or the drivers can talk to each other.

Things to look for - driver side - noise cancelling mike, I prefer earplugs to speakers in the helmet.
Crew side - again a noise cancelling mike, and the headset should reduce outside noise. You can also get ones that allow input from a scanner, so the crew can listen to the track crew, or other drivers, or whatever. However, at some tracks the corners are hard wired so there isn't any radio chatter to monitor.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:29 AM
LS7-Kevin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is Amateur Radio (ham radio) as long as the event is "not for money", i.e. drivers nor pit crew are paid or accepting any monies for participation. All users would have to be licensed amateur radio operators. The test is relatively easy, and the license for UHF and VHF does not require morse code. The only drawback is using your call sign at the beginning of transmission, remembering to use it every 10 minutes, and the conclusion.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:24 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I'm heading down to the ALMS race in Portland soon, and was going to pick up a scanner to listen in to the pit/car radio comms... anyone have any idea what frequencies they'll be using?

Any recommendations on a scanner to buy for such an event?

EDIT: Found a site that lists the frequencies... http://www.racingfanatics.com/ALMS%2...ome%20Page.htm
Old 07-03-2005, 05:14 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

set your mobile phone up for fixed dialling and use it with an ear piece.
Also set up some pre-arranged SMS messages and send these as required, like "in for gas", "need tyres", "body damage", "big body damage", "on fire".
This might sound odd, but it works, no licence problems and its really good for those places with very long circuits.
I have a professional solution to this but it involves UMTS and VoIP, but it does let you stream pictures and telemetry, and if you need more bandwidth you can duplex your data link. If you watched the F1 race at Catalunya (Barcelona), you would have seen Mario Thiessen tracking the progress of the BMWs at the 24 Hours of the Nuerburgring on his iPAQ, all based on this technology.

R+C

Quick Reply: Pit to car radios - recommendations?