Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing suit compliance...is mine too old?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:12 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing suit compliance...is mine too old?

Now that my 8 months of car repair are coming to a close I am again back on course to get this way over due debut race underway but still have some issues to deal with first. This is one............

Can anyone decipher the numbers on my Sparco race suit? I am certain it is too old but need to ask.

Norme1986/1986 Standard 01.008.CSAI.87

Tia!
Dal
Old 06-17-2005, 11:24 AM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Dal
"Norme1986/1986 Standard 01.008.CSAI.87"

What you have there is a suit made to the 1986 FIA standard. This not a big deal for racing with most U.S. sanctioning bodies as long as the suit is still serviceable with no rips, holes, or tears.

Unlike helmets, and harnesses, suits are not an item that "expires". You could start and end your amatuer racing career with the same suit as long as you did not outgrow it or have a fire incident and burn the suit.

Now, if you are going to Europe to race or if you are going to do any pro racing your current suit may not be allowed.

I hope that helps.

Dave Parker
Manager, OG Racing
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Dave

Thanks a million! That made my day. I have the Sparco that is exactly like the Sprint 5, iirc. It is brand new in terms of condition so I am good there. So now all I have to purchase is a new SA hat, transponder and a net and I am headed for a shot at a podium!!

And besides if the techs see my Rolex series patch they will most likely not even pay any mind to it and assume it is legal.

Dal
Old 06-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Dal,

I asked this same question some time ago, too. I have an '89 OMP 3-layer suit but it doesn't have the SFI patch on the side. So, my suit wasn't consider up to safety specs w/ my club (POC). My suit still looks great and I wish I could use it. I guess you'll need to check w/ your club(s) to see if it's still legal.

Rich

Last edited by 911; 06-18-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:21 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dal and Rich,
Rich brings up a point that i had not thought of, the SFI patch. Check with your sanctioning body and confirm that you are not reguired to have an SFI rating patch on your suit. Most of the U.S. bodies recognize both SFI and FIA ratings, there are a few that do not recognize the FIA rating. Apparently POC is one.

One of the first things that the guy who got me into this craziness called racing taught me is to "READ THE RULES". Which I try to encourage everyone to do, read the rules for your particular sanctioning body.

Sorry if I provided incomplete information.

Dave Parker
Manager, OG Racing
Old 06-17-2005, 01:52 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

PCA for me. I have never known them to check suits just helmets. Besides that I will be going so fast fire couldn't catch me......Well that the story I am sticking with. lol...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A quick read of the PCA General Competition Rules shows that an SFI Patch is not required.

Dave Parker
Manager, OG Racing
Old 06-17-2005, 04:30 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Rule book is what prompted the question. I saw the recommended SFI 3.2/5 but my suit does not have those numbers so I figured the ones I have had some meaning but unclear how it applies to a rating. I then assumed the same applied to suits as do helmet ratings. But not understanding the FIA numbers and seeing 1986 I had to investigate what the real rating is and if it is acceptable. Mine is at least 2 layers but unsure of what a layer is considered. If the outer shell is one layer then I have a second layer inside.

Thanks
Dal
Old 06-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Dal,

If you ever find out what your FIA numbers mean, please let me know. I'm sure ours are the same. Thanks.

Rich
Old 06-17-2005, 07:02 PM
aubreym
Intermediate

Default #75

Dave,

When's the #75 car going to be back on the track and who'll be driving it?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:17 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911
Dal,

If you ever find out what your FIA numbers mean, please let me know. I'm sure ours are the same. Thanks.

Rich
Rich,
Will do. I did at one time have a link to the numbers and it was a very long list at that of all the years past to present. This is another reason I inquired because according to the list a new Standard/Norme was issued yearly which did not make sense to me as a number regarding the rating.

But I know I got the FIA link from Geo here on the list. Perhaps he can be of help.

........................................................................ ................

Dave ....Feel free to respond to Aubrey in regards to his ? I have no problem w/a subject change!

Dal
Old 06-20-2005, 04:12 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Aubrey
I have been asking Mr. Love that same question for a year now. He still has not answered. I have offered my services as a driver and even told him I would discount my normal fee.
But I also have my own racing program to keep me busy too.
cheers
Dave Parker
Manager, OG Racing

Quick Reply: Racing suit compliance...is mine too old?