Sponsored by:

Fatal Accident Before ATrack Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 09:11 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatal Accident Before ATrack Day

OK guys, wasn’t too keen on posting this but I hope it will help someone.

I was driving up to a PCA event at BlackHawk Farms Raceway last Friday. Right before the Belvidere oasis, a large SUV (Explorer size) cuts sharply from the right lane, across my left lane and into the center grass median about 100’ in front of me. I was talking on the phone at the time and said “holy ****” to the person I was talking to. I at first thought it was a trooper doing a high speed turn around but then the driver quickly cut the wheel … without slowing, and jumped back onto the road. The SUV started to flip right in front of me. It flipped once, dug in and did a double flip. I feel strange saying it was kind of like a movie. I was talking to FormulaOne10 (Rennlister) at the time and said “got to go”. The SUV stopped right in the middle of the road and it was quite a mess. I jumped out of my car and ran to help. I got there the same time as a bigger guy. Our first thought was to get the people out of there. We could only get the middle side door open as the SUV was on it’s side. He and I helped the people get out of the SUV. I thought we helped 4 but the police report says 5. (How does my memory miss a person?) The woman in front we had to extract through the windshield as we could not get her door open and she needed a lot of help.

By this time, enough people had gathered around and I could see two people pinned underneath. About 10 of us lifted the SUV and I took a look at the 2 people and I thought they were dead. It wasn’t pretty. The situation was complicated by the fact that the damn vehicle was heavy to hold up and to get a real close look would not only have been “uncomfortable”, but I might have been crushed doing so. I had no idea if fuel was leaking, etc. Even if I did get under there and found a pulse, I could not have pulled them out without risking serious damage, so we I decided to wait for help.

Now that the SUV was stabilized and we helped who we could, I went to call 911 and turn off my car. When I called, they said that it had already been called in and I asked if Medi-Vac was on the way and they said no. I said if the two were still alive it would be their only chance. The sent the helicopter. One was DOA and the other they got to the hospital. I don’t know after that. I did what I could but feel bad that I maybe could have done more to the one guy in the back who was still apparently alive.

Lessons:
1. I am going to enroll my wife in driving safety school as she will not accept instruction from me (long story … trust me). Had the woman slowed in the median she would be fine. Had she not cut the wheel sharply to re-enter she would have been fine. Very sad.

2. I was worried about how this would affect me tracking. I know from skiing racing and jumping, and even from golf, that if you have negative feelings or your head’s not in it, that you’re toast. I went out for the first session and was able to concentrate fine. If I couldn’t, I would have bagged it.

Please make sure you’re wife knows how to drive and my best wishes and condolences to those people.
http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...73211167427477
Old 06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

CLASSIC NHTSA fishook maneuver. I wondered just how realistic those tests were (in working on/evaluating non-tripped rollover)... guess this answers that! I'll keep the rest of my opinions to myself, as no-one will appreciate them.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about it all seeming like a movie. About 20 years ago I was driving from Rochester, NY (my home town) to my sister's just outside Boston. I like to drive late at night and early morning because you basically own the road. Cutting to the chase, I started following a late 70s vintage Caprice because it was going the speed I wanted to go. Suddenly the car was on the shoulder of the road and I thought maybe I missed an upcoming exit. In an instant it was down in the ditch. I started slowing immediately to help when the car caught the guardrail (about 6-8' below the road surface) and shot up in the air and flipped over, looking for all the world like an episode of CHIPS (even thought that at the time). I stopped to help and I was lucky because everyone was OK believe it or not. The driver simply fell asleep at the wheel.

I fully appreciate your feelings of wishing you could do more. You did what you could and that is all anyone can ask. That doesn't keep you from feeling funny though.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:27 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

The only horror I had seen on the hwy., was a car with just the rear end in one piece, the whole front and the cabin was squashed in,.....I saw it in the last stages of the clean up, and I was in terrible shock the whole day...I am pretty sure it must be even worse for you after what you had witnessed, BRAVO for the being the good samaritan, I agree with the decision you guy's made in waiting for the EMS to arrive for the critically wounded,....sorry you had to go through this horror,......great idea on driving school for all...
Old 06-14-2005, 09:48 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...

As someone who used to tow years back, and is still doing damage appraisal many years on, well, you sort of get used to it. Most people simply have no idea what it's like.

You're a good man, Tim.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

About 10 years ago I was cruising in the fast lane of the Hollywood freeway at about 70. In my rearview mirror I saw a S class MBZ coming up really fast behind me racing a smaller BMW. I held my speed and position as they approached. The MBZ changed lanes to pass to the right of me and in doing so forced the BMW to move to the right also. The MBZ flew passed me on the right at an estimated 120 or so. As the BMW passes I could see the young girl driving was having problems and the car started to fishtail as she couldn't control the lane change at such a high speed. The car flipped up into the air and must have rotated 2 or 3 turns before coming down and flipping end over end down the freeway finally coming to rest under the Santa Monica Blvd. overpass. Along with others, I jumped out and ran to the car where these 2 young girls were climbing out of the crushed car via the rear window. Remakably neither was really hurt, just scared ****tless. I looked at the crushed Beemer and realized it was a brand new 525. I've never had a negative thought about BMW's since.....

And no, the MBZ never stopped......
Old 06-14-2005, 11:10 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Had the same thing happen to my wife and I going down an Interstate mountain pass in Nevada - van full of family flipped and rolled right in front of us. Bunch of people stopped, one was fortunately an ER nurse on her way to work. Its an odd feeling watching someone pull on latex gloves before going into a wreck.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

A few tips from a Volunteer Fireman with 25 years on the job. Average 20+ vehicle extrications and 2-3 fatal per year.

Ask before you move out of car. If any real pain leave in place and stabilize neck until help arrives. (Cars do not explode like in the movies) BUT If fuel tank is compromised REALLY LEAKING get them out! or electrical short is smoking cut positive battery cable

Generally stabilize in place is better. We want to have collars and boards in place prior to movement.

If unconscious establish airway tilting head back GENTLY and pull down on jaw until breathing freely and wait for help. (it will seem like forever)

12-18” of crush on passenger compartment is sure sign of probable internal injuries – bleeding. Where they were seated in car is important to who gets treated first!
Trapped under vehicle. If just extremity dig out or lift is ok but don’t make things worse if too risky wait for help!!, IF body/torso DO NOT LIFT car. Wait for help. They will start to bleed out internally as soon as weight comes off. You need ALS Advanced Life Support help there IV’s in place etc. when lift or pry out is made.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:28 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Bill, I guess we should have left the people in there. Wow ... didn't think of that and they sure wanted the hell out.

So, I should have looked and seen if anyone needed immediate medical attention (bleeding profusely, CPR, etc.), and then tried to calm the survivors down and stay still? With dead people next to them and sitting/laying it's side? I don't think they could/would have done that. But, I see your point and in the future, I will take the "less is more" approach. Thanks.

Now I hope I didn't do more harm hauling the people out of there as there were internal injuries involved (I don't know the extent). They did do it largely under there own power, we assisted, but still.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:02 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

CC, At least you helped, most people would of just drove on. Chicago is always bad for accidents, the last time I went thru there (memorial day) I seen 5 accidents.

I've seen a few accidents happen, but nothing that bad. The others I always came up on after the police arrived. Yes, one time there was ejection and covered waiting for the coroner.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:10 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim, it sounds like you were fortunate to not get caught up in the wreck yourself. It is also fortunate that this accident did not invlove any other vehicles.

I have also always been told to leave the injured as they are unless they are very likely to suffer greater injury. I still commend you for going out of your way to help out fellow humans.

I have also thought about encouraging loved ones to attend some sort of driving school to improve their ability in emergency situations. In my stupid teens I was in an accident that I could have prevented if I had the knowledge I have gained from HPDE. Luckily there were no injuries.

Standard driver's education given to 16 yr olds is little more than how to use your blinkers (and most forget that anyway). What options are out there for people who aren't comfortable with piloting a 300hp 951 down a racetrack? I know Skip Barber offers some classes. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:55 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Likewise Mid-Ohio School offers such courses, including one for Teen Drivers. I'm pretty sure Beaverun does as well.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Tim, you describe people with dead people next to them, people who are panicky and desperate to get out. I know that from the point of view of possible spinal injuries it is recommended that people not be moved, but I am guessing they were moving around under their own steam, and in a position to suffer further severe psychological injury.

While I don't know what the "right" thing is to do under the circumstances in which you found yourself, I sure would have been tempted to do as you did.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:20 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

CC... very scary experience, but thanks for sharing...

First, you are correct. Pulling the car back onto the road was exactly the wrong thing to do as any experienced track person can tell you. At some point in DE you learn to overcome that instinct and get the car under control first.

Panic is the villian here, and track teaches you how to keep your head in these situations. I wonder whether your track experience helped you keep your head in this situation.... many people might have swerved to avoid it and casused a wreck themselves.

Also, where these people wearing seat belts? They should keep you from being trown out of the car.

Just reinforces my belief that the street is the most dangerous place to be in a car.

BTW getting your wife to do DE or take an emergency avoidance course is a great ides...
Old 06-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Hi CC

The situation you had is one of the most difficult especially with a car on its side or roof. If they are mobile and want out they are coming out no mater what you advise them. Better to help if they won’t listen and then try again to get them to sit down and remain quite.
Nice work

Quick Reply: Fatal Accident Before ATrack Day