Sponsored by:

Question re: PCA DE safety rules

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:45 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question re: PCA DE safety rules

Just a quick question regarding the DE rules concerning safety equipment for driver and passenger/instructor.

I do NOT want to skimp on the safety of my passenger/instructor, but if I were to install a GT3 seat into my 996 would I have to install one for the passenger as well or could I go with a different race seat? I was thinking of maybe a sparco or recaro performance seat for the passenger, which would still allow for multi-point harnesses on track but be more comfortable for my everyday passengers.

Thoughts as the rule doesn't really say it has to be exactly the same?
krista
Old 06-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Per my region's rules, they have to be similar. For example: if I have a racing bucket for the driver, I need to have a similar racing bucket for the passenger. It can be the same make/model, or it can be different, as long as the designs of the seat are the same.

To clarify: if I am using a 5-point harness system for both driver and passenger, and my driver's seat has the shoulder harness pass-throughs, I cannot use the stock seat for the passenger/instructor -- it must also have the pass throughs for the shoulder harnesses.

-Zoltan, NNJR Track tech co-chair
Old 06-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read it pretty much the same way. I'm a regional tech inspector and I'd have no problem passing a car with two different brands of seat, as long as they were of the same type, e.g., shell seats with harness passthroughs and similar bracing. And as an instructor, I'd be okay with riding in the right seat under the same standards.

Matt
Old 06-10-2005, 09:03 PM
DanS911
Pro

Ditto here
As the Track Events Chairman for the PCA Goldcoast region I can tell you that you are thinking clearly.
The idea is that you must provide the same measure of "safety" in the right seat not necessarily the same comfort and coolness!!
Old 06-11-2005, 01:04 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Ah, excellent. Gentlemen, thank you for your input.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Z-Man, Ash in Army of Darkness [Evil Dead III] was the BEST! OT...but hey I lost my Necronomicon password.

Zach

Quick Reply: Question re: PCA DE safety rules