Sponsored by:

Rookie canidate

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't be too hard on yourself; another important part of learning to race is learning when NOT to pass! Just because you can get beside the guy doesn't mean you should stay there. Sometimes (like when you're not ready to accept a repaint as the cost of a $5 trophy) you realize that you need to back out of passes and save the opportunity for later. I haven't watched the video, but it sounds like you're doing a good job of exercising descretion, caution, and wisdom in giving up those opportunities. Possibly because of such descretion both you and your buddy can look forward to more of the same exciting action next race! I've got some good video from this past weekend, racing against someone I have only a little time competing with, showing a lot of pass attempts given up for the same reasons.

I painted my cage with POR-15 - practically indestructible, even though it's not colour-matched! www.por15.com, IIRC...
Old 06-10-2005, 04:09 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ditto... your first wheel to wheel race may be the second most life shifting experience you ever have... just getting through it in one piece is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud... now you will be 10 time better prepared for your second race...

Good rule of thumb for any racer.... if you do not think you can take the pass you probably can't... as you get more experiece you will get better at recognizing a good and bad pass opportuinity.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:09 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

i have been running MPSC's and Dunlap SSR's. The MPSC's are about heat cycled out. Should I run the Dunlaps for the first race (does it really matter for the first race?) or try the Ra1's or another set of MPSC's?

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-13-2005, 11:32 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I would stick with what you know for your first race. I had never driven on MPSC's so I decided to do several sessions before I actually raced on them. They had at least 30 heat cycles on them before I raced on them. I wanted to make sure there were no unfamiliar items on the car as I did not what to learn anything new while trying to learn to "race".

BTW, you guys make excellent points. There is absolutely no need to finish ahead of anyone, you just need to finish. I’m a believer that you really can’t learn until you do. I took my first race as an educational event, nothing more. I really didn’t care if I passed anyone (but deep down inside I wanted to, hell I even wanted to win the race, but I controlled it). I actually got lucky to be behind my friend. I can’t begin to mention how big of an educational experience that was, I was basically playing lead and follow. If I had been in front of him, I would not have learned a tenth of what I did. Lapping someone is easy, passing for position is a different story (I’m not sure you can ever be 100% sure on a pass for position). Oh yeah, if you look closely into the helmet, you can see how high my check bones are from smiling. I couldn’t get the grin off my face for a couple of days.

George
Old 06-13-2005, 12:36 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

George... If you don;t WANT to pass somebody, you probably have no place racing at all... we talk about car control, but IMHO, racing is all about SELF-control... that is really what makes it challenging.

I remember telling myself before my first race to just take it easy.... I'd "settle" for a podium... man, I got an education in reality real quick.....

Personally, I think the 4-race rookie policy in PCA is a brilliant idea. When I started, I looked in the mirror and told myself "rookie = dumbass". Ultil I got the stripes off, my goal was not to make a total a**hole out of myself..... (now they are off and I'm free to be an A-hole, but that is a different story...)

Knowing when to stick a pass is the hardest thing in the world... and every Sunday you can watch the best drivers in the world screw it up... so that's how steep that mountain is...
Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My first two races were at my home track a few years ago. It was a little worried about the speed of "race cars" and people passing every where. Turned out being not as bad as I though.

Most of the time the first few practices are pretty docile in PCA since folks are learning the track. Just remeber the practice sessions are not races. They are just like DE, but with wide open passing. Get comfortable with being pass everywere with no point byes. Also learn who is really fast and you can pass because you are faster. And yes you will be faster than someone. Heck there is only one guy in every run group that is the slowest. Changes are slim it would be you. Remember in practice most folks don't want to race so give them room and will give you room.

Come race time hold your line and position. If some one wants to pass don't roll over, but if it looks like the have the corner just let them have it. Your first race is not really the best place to defend position like mad man. Also focus on hitting your marks and keeping the car on track. Lap times will come as you get more comfortable. On the flipside if you can make a safe pass do it, just be ready for the door to shut.

A sucessfull first race weekend means you finished the race, you keep the car on track, and you ran around the track and nobody really noticed you. Other races tend to notice the yahoo's not safe and sane drivers.

Quick Reply: Rookie canidate