Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which H&N device do you use and why? What car do you drive?
HANS
61.40%
R3
7.02%
Issac
28.07%
Other
3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Hans, R3, Issac, other?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005 | 01:02 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

I purchased a Hans with optional quick release six months ago. I time trial, not race so the certification does not really matter but everything that I read, including the NASCAR mandate, made it sound most credible.
Old 06-10-2005 | 01:04 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

HANS for both of us...

Ever notice how HANS is EVERYWHERE in racing... from F1 to NASCAR.... there is good reason it is most commonly used... so that is what we went with!!
Old 06-10-2005 | 01:42 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

When did we decide that our lives were only worth 1200 dollars? I beleive you only get one, unless I missed something along the way. I'd pay 20K to make sure I "may" walk away from a incident while racing. How many have fire suppression devices in your cars?

Do you think professional race car drivers get into a car that doesn't have a HANS device or fire suppression system? I'm definitely unbiased on which system you use, but please use ONE.

Let me think: when I played Pop Warner football through College we always wore the same mandated protective equipment that the pros do….hmmmm. I wonder why?

How many wear a mouth piece while driving? It does help stimulate saliva when, but then again, that's what dentist are for.
Old 06-10-2005 | 02:50 AM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceboyd
HANS for both of us...

Ever notice how HANS is EVERYWHERE in racing... from F1 to NASCAR.... there is good reason it is most commonly used... so that is what we went with!!
I do not buy into the statement because something is everywhere it is the best or a good reason to buy something. There are so many examples of products that were not as good as others because of timing, marketing, etc but not because they were the best. Do you have an AMB transponder? Many people do but it is not the best and sure is over priced as are head and neck restraints. If we as consumers (and vendors) blindly purchase based upon the logic that "everyone" uses it, nothing of better quality, performance, or price will ever come forward.

Personally, I think the Isaac systems are producing some interesting ideas with various price points for people to choose from based upon their needs. If any of us believe in the college tests (which were at an angle versus straight on) then the Isaac intermediate system performs better and reduces head loading better than any of the competitors. The shock system will work far better than a strap that must flex and snap/stretch under load versus a shock that absorbs the impact. You can see this in the data that there are various set ups loose and tight that affect the performance of the product versus the Isaac which does not have that issue.

There are things were are stuck with in life that were not good products but were at the right place at the right time, Microsoft products for one, VHS tapes which we are still living with to name a few, but head and neck restraints are just starting. Let's not exclude other products that will make us safer because everyone is using one product now.
Old 06-10-2005 | 03:21 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well said Kary. I just wish that Isaac get the certification done so many people will have no more arguments. This talk here has been very helpfull to see openly the issues at hand. In my mind the previously untouchable so it seemed Hans, it now seems to have significant issues for us DE' ers and Club Racers. We simply dont have the resourses or money for that matter to make our cockpits optimized for Hans like the pro teams do so at this stage it looks to me that while it is the current ticket for the pro teams, for us we need the best protection we can afford and it looks like the Isaac could be winning this one.
Old 06-10-2005 | 08:54 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Ray
When did we decide that our lives were only worth 1200 dollars? I beleive you only get one, unless I missed something along the way. I'd pay 20K to make sure I "may" walk away from a incident while racing. How many have fire suppression devices in your cars?
And so you shall! Let's see: cage, fire surpression, suit, cool gear for suit, gloves, shoes, helmet, kill switch, belts, fuel cell, FIA seat or seatback brace install, not to mention all the performance related safety enhancements, little things like proper brake lines, brake cooling etc... Done right, you'll take a pretty big bite out of 20 grand.

One fire surpression device with 3 nozzles... and I'm still just a DEer at the moment. I still wonder how I could have been so stupid to think that my track car could cost less than my street car.

BTW, you don't need the pro, the $985 "economy" model will do just fine.
Old 06-10-2005 | 10:25 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

RJay you're dead on - I was primarily comparing HANS/Helmet costs - but you're right, all the other required safety devices add up quick! But well worth the costs!

Quick Reply: Hans, R3, Issac, other?