Sponsored by:

Buying a used GT3 cup car

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005 | 08:39 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Francisco, I presume you are spanish, I am too

If you are in Spain, talk to Konstantin for sure, if you are in the US, talk to him too He has sent 996 Cup Cars before to the US and you can get in touch with the owners to see how sattisfied they are. His team races almost every week end in Supercup, he knows what he is talking about and is one of the most honest guys you can meet.

Saludos
Old 06-06-2005 | 10:27 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Hi,

I was the guy asking these questions just a few months ago, now I feel like a veteran with the cup cars due to lots of races and damage

I race both of those cars so I have a pretty good idea of what you are asking for.

The 73 RS will be MUCH cheaper to run, as long as you don't destroy the tub it will be very cheap racing. The only expensive part is missing shifts, which I have done twice requiring full engine rebuilds. Tires, Brakes, tranny, etc are all much much cheaper on the RS. Rear rotors will last several years, fronts at least a year. On the GT3 cup you get about 2 races out of the front rotors which are several times more expensive than the RS. GT3 cup tires are MUCH more expensive and do not last like the Hoosier tires. Brake pads are also more expensive and wear out quicker. GT3 allows missing a few shifts without damaging the engine but you will break the clutch cover.

An RS engine should last hundreds of hours or more between rebuilds, Porsche wants you to rebuild the GT3 cup engine in under 100 hours. GT3 cup engine costs about twice as much to rebuild ($20K) than the RS ($10K) depending on parts.

Doors, rear bumper, and deck lid on the cup car are carbon fiber so VERY VERY expensive. Other body parts cost about the same to fix on both cars.

After driving the cup car, the RS feels like a pig... slow to turn in, very soft, and no power. Brakes and steering on the RS are very hard, GT3 very low effort.

The older car will hold it's value better or appreciate, a late model 2004-5 GT3 cup may not be too bad as it's the best of breed, but right now prices are crazy, more than when they were new due to IMSA GT3 cup (a 2004 like new for sale is asking $175K).

Hope that helps!

Old 06-06-2005 | 02:52 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
Doors, rear bumper, and deck lid on the cup car are carbon fiber so VERY VERY expensive. Other body parts cost about the same to fix on both cars.
Is this true of all the gt3 cups, or just the later models, and if so what years?
Thanks.
Old 06-06-2005 | 03:06 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by analogmike
The older car will hold it's value better or appreciate, a late model 2004-5 GT3 cup may not be too bad as it's the best of breed, but right now prices are crazy, more than when they were new due to IMSA GT3 cup (a 2004 like new for sale is asking $175K).
Speaking of the price hike....With the first 3 997 3Cup's being offered at 200k right now, when do you guys think the price balloon will go back down?

Has IMSA said what cars they will be allowing next season? I remember the Ferrari Challenge a few years ago when the 355 was grandfathered in a for a couple of years when the 360 was introduced...
Old 06-06-2005 | 03:25 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Speaking of the price hike....With the first 3 997 3Cup's being offered at 200k right now, when do you guys think the price balloon will go back down?

Has IMSA said what cars they will be allowing next season? I remember the Ferrari Challenge a few years ago when the 355 was grandfathered in a for a couple of years when the 360 was introduced...
The 996 GT3 will be allowed next year. But we can get the 997 GT3 cup cars for a decent price next year for IMSA. So don't spend 200K yet

p.s. I think all GT3 cup cars had the carbon fibre parts though the earlier ones had some different designs (rear bumper, etc).
Old 06-06-2005 | 04:00 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Mike,
Are most saying they will go ahead and upgrade to the 997 for next season, or stick with the 996?
Old 06-06-2005 | 07:46 PM
Kiko
Racer

WOW!! Thanks ! Very usefull information here!!! Can you guys give me an ideia of how much do you spend in a season on both Gt3 and RS? The reason I ask is that I only know the costs of "seat and race" kind of racing where you buy the whole season as a pack.

Thanx

Last edited by Kiko; 06-06-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2005 | 08:04 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

HI,

> Are most saying they will go ahead and upgrade to the 997 for next season, or stick with the 996? <

Most will probably want to go to the 997 if possible financially.

As for costs, running a 2.7RS is VERY cheap, about $1500 per race weekend including travel etc. The GT3 cup is $1500 just for tires. Probably close to $5000 per weekend with support etc. If you dont have bales of cash to waste (!) I would skip the GT3. I'm not sure it is worth what I have spent this year running it, but it has been an excellent learning experience! Could have had a new Boxster S for what I have spent in the 1st half of this year... of course I have had 3 crashes already which did not help.
Old 06-06-2005 | 08:23 PM
Kiko
Racer

Mike, I think you just spared me loads of cash with the valuable information you provided. Thanks!!!
Now that I skipped the GT3 option I need a few more tips...
I'm already in contact with Konstantin to search for a car but where else should I go to try and find a good car with papers? And also after buying the car where should I go for buying parts and where should I go to get all the technical data like (set up's, tire pressures, alignments, engine information, etc?

Thank you guys for help!
Old 06-07-2005 | 08:16 PM
Kiko
Racer

bump (sorry but I really need some pointers here...)
Old 06-08-2005 | 09:11 AM
smokey
Pro

Here's an SVRA car:
Old 06-08-2005 | 09:13 AM
smokey
Pro

Sorry, I don't know how to upload the link.
Old 06-08-2005 | 09:32 AM
smokey
Pro

http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/forum/post.jsp?postid=3544
Old 06-08-2005 | 06:17 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Kiko
I may be able to assist you with finding a suitable car in Europe. In the first place send me an email at uberseehandel@yahoo.com.
I am often in Barcelona, if that helps.

R+C

Quick Reply: Buying a used GT3 cup car