Sponsored by:

Roll Cages and Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:59 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roll Cages and Inspections

I didn't really know where to post this, so forgive me if there would have been a better forum.

As I have mentioned in past posts, I am buying a NA 944. My car has a full roll cage welded into it, and someone just told me that they seriously doubt that the car will pass inspection with a full cage. That is a shame, because I would like to have the option to drive the car to and from the gas station and perhaps to nearby tracks like Summit Point.

Has anyone been able to get a car with a full cage through inspection? How about in DC? Any hints, apart from give it up and buy a truck and trailer?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just went through CA smog inspection/testing last week without issue. It's far from stock with cage, Recaro PP seats, fire supression, no heater blower, and other mods. YRMV. I'd try it.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:28 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are plenty of full cage cars in Arizona that are street legal. In the Phoenix Area we only are concerned about emissions.

I can't say the same for DC, Virgina, or Maryland
Old 05-31-2005, 08:43 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell the guy it's just for looks....
Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

TD,

My 944 w/ full cage has passed virginia inspection 3 years running with a full cage, race seats, etc. Not sure if you're actually in DC or not, but the only point of contention that I could think of is whether or not the stock seat belts are in the car AND if they are mounted to the stock locations. Mine have been slightly re-located (the mounts near the tunnel are bolted to the sparco brackets) as the OEM belts mount directly to the seat. however, an inspector would have to be REALLY picky to look at that, and likely wouldn't even know where to look.

Also, not sure how it works in DC, but they may look to see if you have a cat on the exhaust, even if you're just getting a regular safety (not emissions) inspection.

You may also get some hassle if you have a windshield banner. I haven't yet in virginia, but DC inspections may be different.

Double check to see that your wheel bearings are tight, and that the A-arms and ball joints are good, and you should have no issues.

Also, don't forget to swap out your track tires if they're all ragged out for something with some tread on them. R compound tires are fine, but they still need to pass the minimum tread depth reqs.

I drive mine to Summit Point about half the time - just remember to keep the speed down on Rt. 7 on the way to the track - cops love 944's (don't ask how I know. lol)

Matt
Old 06-01-2005, 01:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

Thanks for the advice. I do live in DC proper. However, I have decided to avoid DC inspections altogether. I am going to co-title the car with my brother-in-law, who lives in VA. Since DC has only one inspection location, there is a much greater risk that I will fail, and then I will have no alternatives. Since VA has numerous inspectors, I can keep trying until I pass.

Thanks,

TD
Old 06-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I take mine to the Shell Station at the corner of prosperity and lee highway in merrifield (next to the main post office).

Peter at IMA motorsport (which is accross the street) takes care of the details for me. Give him a call at 703-843-9590 if you need any minor work or want to get the car run through for you

Quick Reply: Roll Cages and Inspections