Sponsored by:

PCA Club Racing Rule Clarification, Suspension 951 Prepared Class

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 04:44 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PCA Club Racing Rule Clarification, Suspension 951 Prepared Class

I completed my first club race at Mid-Ohio earlier in the month. I entered my 86' 944 Turbo in "E" stock class as a prepared car because of the transmission having a short R&P.

During scrutineering on the Friday afternoon I was told I needed to pin my front strut mounts in the stock location. I have Racer's Edge adjustable camber plates installed on the car. Confused I later I consulted the rule book for guidance I noted the following from page 11 and 12 Car Classification:

Stock: Suspension
K. Adjustable Spring Plates are allowed

Prepared: Suspension

A. Slotting to achieve suspension settings is allowed. Pickup points cannot be welded or machined.

b. Non-factory shock housings set at factory settings are allowed.

My question is if your allowed to use slotted suspenion settings, why would the struts have to be pinned in the factory location offering no camber advantage as a prepared upgrade?

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, help please.

JF
Old 05-24-2005, 08:55 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

There is also a line that mentions suspension pickup points cannot be changed (for stock class at least). Altering the location of the top of the strut in relation to the original point is violating this rule. You need to line up the strut top at the intersection of diagonal lines drawn between the 4 strut mount mounting bolts and pin it there.

Knowing this, I saved some money and used the KLA monoball upper mounts ($115/pair) as I can't use the adjustability that slotted camber plates allow.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:05 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a prepared car, you can run camber plates and you can run them in any setting you like (a Class E 951 running in E-Stock must pin their camber plates in order to run them). Scruts, many times, don't realize a 944 Turbo they are looking at is a Prepared Car since some 944 Turbo's run in F-stock and some run in E-stock. So if they are looking at a Class E car, you have to make it clear that its a Prepared car.

I had the same problem with my 87 951 when I race in E-Prepared. Simple oversight on the part of the scrut. Easily fixed.
Autometrics Motorsports Porsche 996 - Grand-Am Cup #45
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo - PCA GT3s

Quick Reply: PCA Club Racing Rule Clarification, Suspension 951 Prepared Class