Sponsored by:

HANS device slippage--crossing harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:28 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased seat back braces from IO PORT.... aluminum seats require seat back braces for PCA Club racing... the IO PORT ones looked good to me.... they will attach to the DAS BAR I have..
Old 05-24-2005, 03:28 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hwy All;

I don't see what the seat material has to do with back braces? If it is not an FIA seat, it needs one. End of story. Personally, I don't care if it is FIA cert'd, I'd have a brace. The alloy seat has the advantage in that you COULD drill it and bolt it solidly to the belt bar without compromising the head rest. I would ONLY do this with a containment seat, by the way.

If you are looking at Ultrashield seats, the only thing that would keep me from getting the Road Race Super Seat (containment w/halo) is if you can't afford them ($1000), or can't get in or out with them (halos). Barring those two caveats, they are without question the best option. If they are properly configured (custom spec build is included), then vision to the side mirrors is NOT effected.

Alloy seats offer so many more options for mounting and other configuration options as to render plastic seats far less than ideal in my opinion. Now, with Ultrashield building quality road race specific seats, the choice is clear in my mind. They are the only company that is building an ideal alloy seat. I wish I was getting a cut of their action! I should get a commission!!

The HANS issue is important. You really do need to have the belts passing over the shoulders as near to level as possible. Mine are mounted only about 1.5" below my shoulders, but the compression is quite noticeable in a static state. I do not notice it on track, and my HANS retention seems adequate.

Having said that, I will be joining Lew in the Schroth camp sometime soon.

Last edited by RedlineMan; 05-24-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Having said that, I will be joining Lew in the Schroth camp sometime soon.
Nice to know I am in good company and made a good decision
Old 05-24-2005, 04:57 PM
DK
Instructor

I have the Schroth, and another thing that helped a bit was to use some elastic material behind the seat to 'pull' the left and right belts together on the bar. Often the belts would wander apart on the roll bar when loose, and the elastic material helped kept them close together behind the seat, so that when the belts are loose, they stay closer together at the back, and have less tendency to fall off the harness when getting belted in. Once cinched in, the elastic material does not interfere. Elastic material/cloth works better than elastic bands.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:56 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

If you are looking at mods in order to accommodate the HANS device, you may wish to consider upgrading to an Isaac system. You could break even in $ and be ahead of the curve in time and effort.

If the size and style of your HANS device is one we are looking for, we could offer you market value for it toward the purchase of an Isaac system. You would be plus some $ for the upgrade, but zero for seats, hardware, fab shop time, etc.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Unhappy

Originally Posted by gbaker
If you are looking at mods in order to accommodate the HANS device, you may wish to consider upgrading to an Isaac system. You could break even in $ and be ahead of the curve in time and effort.

If the size and style of your HANS device is one we are looking for, we could offer you market value for it toward the purchase of an Isaac system. You would be plus some $ for the upgrade, but zero for seats, hardware, fab shop time, etc.

except by their very own admission, ISSAC LINK is NOT as good as the HANS on the chart they show on the website...
Old 05-24-2005, 07:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ceboyd
except by their very own admission, ISSAC LINK is NOT as good as the HANS on the chart they show on the website...
I think gbaker was referring to the ISAAC:
http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/prod...l#Intermediate
and not the new ISAAC Link:
http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/product.html#Link

Here is the chart showing the ISAAC vs the HANS:
http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/chart.html
whereby the ISAAC performs equal to or better than a HANS.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:31 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmmm.... i have yet to see this in person.... looks like it is more restricted neck side to side movement and where does the other end get anchored to??? (the seat or the roll cage or what?)
Old 05-25-2005, 08:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

hmmm.... i have yet to see this in person....
You can 'try it before you buy it' via the rental program:
http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/product.html#Rental
looks like it is more restricted neck side to side movement
Several other members of this forum have posted their experiences (both crash and non crash) and this doesn't seem to be the case.
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/187044-tried-an-isaac.html
(a search for 'ISAAC" in this forum will yield approx 3 pages of returned links if you are so inclined)
Most people report that you quickly forget you're wearing after the first couple of times.
There are also some discussions regarding the damper's effects in side impacts vs the HANS tethers....of course a Halo also helps!
where does the other end get anchored to??? (the seat or the roll cage or what?)
One end of the damper is mounted (via quick release pin) to your helmet, the other end "rides' along the belts:
http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/Othe...s/Product.html

There is another H&N restraint/product, the R3, which IIRC Larry Herman (member of this forum as well) recently purchased:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/182282-r3-h-and-n-restraint.html
(just in case you're interested).

In the end, regardless of people's opinions/affiliations, it's your head and spine. Ask lots of questions, do your homework and finally choose whatever product you feel comfortable with.

Quick Reply: HANS device slippage--crossing harnesses