Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy 500 Surprises...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:45 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright... again my ignorance is shown.. damn... i'm just gonna shut up....

The IRL has added some road courses for this year and is trying to get Long Beach for next year. I think we will start to see the IRL add more and more road courses and I think that will give Danicka even more of an advantage since she has a very deep road racing background.

I am waiting in anticipation for the new circuit that the F1 constructors are supposedly creating after the Concorde Agreement is over. I think when that happens, we will see more races in the US, and definately more competitive racing than we have seen in the last couple years. However, I love the way this F1 season is going so far this year, and not just because I love to see Ferrari fail.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:47 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I kinda think that any successful racing series needs a strong sanctioning body (read "Czar") calling the shots.... the CART "rule by committee" worked just as the books predicted... and a franchise race (read Indy 500).

Whatever you think about TG, he has both those plus inside deals with the other two powerful sanctioning bodies... he's best positioned to build a successful open wheel championship series... and I say the sooner the better... I'm sorry, but NASCAR taxicab racing just doesn't take the place of running 230MPH wheel to wheel....
Old 05-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years since the split. I was a pro-CART guy for numerous years, but now I'm getting to the point where I just want good, OW racing in the States. In the early '90s, CART was unbelievably good. I honestly thought that it was giving F1 a good run for the money in '93, '94 & '95.

My only request is that if the IRL & Champ Car were to come together, that they make the cars look good, again. The current IRL cars, IMHO, are the ugliest things in OW racing. I love the look of CCs, btw.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:38 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Looks to me like IRL is really drawing the critical mass of teams <snip>
Well, almost. Don't forgt about Newman/Haas.

ALMS is to Grand Am as Champ Car is to the IRL. Penske's jump into the ALMS with Porsche is not a good thing for the IRL. Not to mention Toyota and Honda are less than happy with the IRL series. I doubt they enjoy loosing weekend after weekend in F1 and pouring $millions into a series nobody is watching with the IRL.
There has been talk of the IRL going to a NASCAR spec engine to cut costs and cover their *** if Toyota and/or Honda pulls out.

Tony George has the Indy 500 but zero business sense when lined up next to Kalkhoven & Forsythe. Now that Kalkhoven owns Cosworth, Champ Cars future is looking better. The Superfund chassis has been looked into as a low cost replacement / updated chassis for Champ Car.

I've been a die hard Champ Car (CART, Indy Car, etc..) since the start. I don't care what series "survives" anymore, I just want US OW racing back where it was 10 years ago. I also wish the IRL cars were not so ugly.

Quick Reply: Indy 500 Surprises...