Sponsored by:

997 GT3 cup vs 996 GT3 cup

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Ted Brewer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konstantin:

I hear that the sequential transmissions are very maintenance intensive and must be inspected and often rebuilt after each race. I also hear that the factory is working on a second generation of this tranny since the current trannsmission would not be user friendly for next years 997 club racers. What is your experience with the sequential transmission?

Ted Brewer

PS We met once in upstate New York at J.R's while he corner balanced my silver 993 a couple of years ago if you remember that.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Ted
The Supercup is a sprint race series, until this season's Supercup most cars with the Hollinger gearbox have run in endurance races, you can't really compare the maintenance cycles of the two. The Hollinger gearbox is bought in by PAG, its manufacturer is in Australia.
What do you mean by 'not user friendly for next year's 997 club racers'? Most of the 997 GT3 Cup cars are destined to be driven in the Supercup and Carrera Cup series, whose drivers would, for the most part, rankle at being described as club racers, and with some justification, after all the likes of Wolf Henzler have to be kept out of club racing if tears are to be avoided.
Cup car engines and gearboxes are sealed, though it can be interesting to watch an expert performing 'keyhole surgery' on them. I really wonder who you 'heard' your (mis)information from?

R+C
Old 06-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello
we never had to do any work on the gearbox it self in 5 races and 3 test days.
the only think that must be inspected are the elektric and the sensors on the gearbox.
The tranny is betetr than the older one you can not missshift and you can run well over 10000 rpm without destroy the cltch as in the 996 GT3 car

yes I remember you. you drove to watkins glen after the set up and you were happy with it.
greetings to joel

Konstantin
Old 06-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well even in monaco and Nurburgring the 997 GT3 cup is much faster than the older 996 GT3.
In every race till now the 997 is clearly much faster than the 996.
The only problem is that we will hit the rev limiter (8200 rpm) in 6th at Indy this year.
the 996 GT3 made just 7200 rpm on the straights
I hope porsche will reprogramm the DME to overcome this problem

Konstantin
Old 06-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Konstantin, very interesting real life experiences, tahnks for sharing them...hope it went well this last week end? I'm set for July 24-27th.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well after the Indy results where the 997 was up to 1.2 sec faster in qualy than last year (even if porsche added a guerny which cost us 7 km/h top speed) nobody think anymore that the 996 is faster ;-)
In the first race the difference between this and last year was also about 1 sec

Konstantin
Old 06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So with the flap were you RPM's ok down the straight? It seemed like there was some concern about hitting redline down the straight at Indy due to increased speed of the cars.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Ted
The Supercup is a sprint race series, until this season's Supercup most cars with the Hollinger gearbox have run in endurance races, you can't really compare the maintenance cycles of the two. The Hollinger gearbox is bought in by PAG, its manufacturer is in Australia.
What do you mean by 'not user friendly for next year's 997 club racers'? Most of the 997 GT3 Cup cars are destined to be driven in the Supercup and Carrera Cup series, whose drivers would, for the most part, rankle at being described as club racers, and with some justification, after all the likes of Wolf Henzler have to be kept out of club racing if tears are to be avoided.
Cup car engines and gearboxes are sealed, though it can be interesting to watch an expert performing 'keyhole surgery' on them. I really wonder who you 'heard' your (mis)information from?

R+C
I think Ted was asking if the tranny would be a maintainance issue as the 997 Cups trickle down to PCA club racing (since club racers don't typically have the budget to rebuild after every race).
Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 38D
I think Ted was asking if the tranny would be a maintainance issue as the 997 Cups trickle down to PCA club racing (since club racers don't typically have the budget to rebuild after every race).
Colin

Ted didn't ask if maintenance would be an issue, he 'made up' a problem, or one of his chums did. I might have been mildly ascerbic, it was appropriate in that context.
R+C
Old 06-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M758
So with the flap were you RPM's ok down the straight? It seemed like there was some concern about hitting redline down the straight at Indy due to increased speed of the cars.
Porsche raised the rev limit in 6th gear only to avoid this problem. Even with the gurney we overcame the stock rev limit.

Konstantin
Old 06-23-2005, 05:59 PM
gt3cup98
Racer

Konstantin:
Do any of the 997 Cup racers left foot break and downshift without clutch?
Thanks for your insights!!
Boyd
Old 06-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

it depends on the tarck and driver. usually not.

no reason to downshift without clucth no time gain and you ruin the clucth ovebrake teh rear and all the othe rknown disadvandages

Konstantin
Old 06-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
... after all the likes of Wolf Henzler have to be kept out of club racing if tears are to be avoided.
Actualy, Wolf got his PCA Club Racing licence at this years Sebring event. We all got a laugh watching him receive his rookie licence considering he just came from a class win at the Daytona 24. He was second on the grid for the sprint and took the overall after the race leader crashed out. There are always a few "pros" running this club event and there are never any tears shed.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

From what I've witnessed, most PCA events are a practice weekend for a professional race to follow at the same venue. It's a lot cheaper to pay a PCA entry fee than to rent the track for just you!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

he he.:-)
The Old tricks form Europe be used in the USA now ;-)
Now you see hoe the pro teams works and how they manage to win. Racing is not just be on the track. Strategy is everything

Konstantin

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 cup vs 996 GT3 cup