Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 12:52 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts
Default AMB cockpit display

Anyone try the ABM DisplayIT yet?

http://www.amb-it.com/shop/amer/cata...d02358638c27e4

It says it will work with any club that uses an AMB timing system.
It also says you can get additional info (class position, etc) if the club is using the latest version AMB Orbits2 or Blind Apex's Kronos 2 timing software. Anyone know what the PCA is using?

thanks!

Old 05-08-2005, 02:18 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500 is a high price for a good lap timer. If cost isn't a big concern then you know it is accurate and what you're reading in the cockpit is what they're using at timing and scoring.

My Ultra Lap Timer has been very close to the AMB times this year so I'm pretty satisfied over the accuracy. What I want to know is the other folks qualifying times while I'm still on track.

If your group uses AMB and transmits to the I-card(That's a Gameboy with a $150 wireless card) like SCCA has been doing at the last 4 events, then you will get the same numbers for your car plus every other car on track in real time. So, crewman are operating the gameboy and calling times to their drivers. I think that if you set the Gameboy on the correct screen that is: Group X session X then you will see the field of car numbers with low time in real time. This could be velcroed into the car for the driver to watch. Set that way I don't think you would see your current time unless it was your lowest. Or you could set it to your car only and monitor your session only. I have not seen anyone else using the Gameboy in-car it's just an idea I had. But now I think I'll follow-up and get it. BTW if you get a Gameboy get one that loads the card from the top or else you have to turn it over to get the antanna pointing up for good reception. And speaking of reception, I dont know if it will work all around the track but if they're marketing this in-car display it's a good bet the gameboy signal will be just as strong.

That AMB cockpit display looks more driver friendly with big numbers and only 2 buttons but doesn't show nearly as much as the Gameboy does.Really cool stuff in either case though.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:59 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Anyone try the ABM DisplayIT yet?
I just got one. One of the main reasons I wanted it was I'd know immediately if I was having transponder issues. Plus, my hot lap is dead again .
Old 05-09-2005, 08:14 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

My Aim MyChron3 XG unit is always within .005 of my PCA transponder times. Hasn't missed a lap in 2 years and does so much more than just times. There new stuff looks pretty cool, but the prices are going up.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:48 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

The advantage of the AMB unit is that it shows gap to the overall leader, position in class, how far behind you are from the class leader, and the gap to the next car in front of you.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:08 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out that PCA is currently using Orbits 1 (Service Pack 1/Hotfix 3) software. They should be upgrading to Orbits 2 but there is no timeline at this point.

That extra info would be worth it IMHO.

Quick Reply: AMB cockpit display