forced air helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:11 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced air helmets

i am getting the pyrotech forced air for the hot california days(g-force out of stock) and later down the road getting the forced air kit. are they stuffy/hot/uncomfortable if you don't use the forced air bits?

should i just get a normally ventilated helmet?

tia
Old 05-06-2005, 02:41 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used one once for a three day period. It had a dust skirt with it. When the F.A. was turned off it got very hot but when the skirt was removed it felt more like a normal helmet. I suspect in a closed cockpit car more air comes from underneath than from any ventilation port. You also have the option of leaving the F.A. port uncapped and a fair amount of air should come in.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

I noticed nothing different from my Bell Sport II ventilated helmets. As chrisp said, in a closed cockpit car it doesn't make much difference. To be honest, I never really felt like the vents did anything when I was racing karts because most of the air still came from under the chin bar.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

George....great sig! I just donated to that event this week. A friend of mine out in SF is doing the 100mile bike ride around Tahoe. She has raised over $5K from friends. Great cause. I lost my cousin Eric to Luekemia when we were just kids. So tragic.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Geo
Race Director

Dell, thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin.

Luekemia is the number one killing desease of children, but great strides have been made and the survival rate is 85% now. I'd love to do the Tahoe ride someday. I'm a marathoner (not that you would dream it to look at me). But, I'm nursing my second stress fracture (back to back) so I'm getting a road bike to begin my training for my next running marathon (my wife and I are walking the Anchorage Marathon next month with my in-laws - we raised money for that event). I may end up doing a century ride after doing the bike training.

Team in Training is a great organization. The people in whose honor we run are tremendously inspiring. My wife is a coach and I'm a mentor for our local training group. We just don't feel like we can do enough.

Sorry for the hi-jack folks.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My apologies as well for the hijack but I just felt the need to comment on George's sig. Makes me realize the more important things in like are the one's we love.

Ok, yes you can include your P-Car in "the one's you love".
Old 05-07-2005, 02:39 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BIG George! My Mom was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma last year (she's 67). It's been a tough ride but she is doing very well. They are making amazing strides with these diseases & it's because of generous people like yourself. Thanks for the support!

Quick Reply: forced air helmets