Sponsored by:

PBOC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PBOC?

From a quick search, it looks like some of you have experience with PBOC racing. I'm considering signing up for a race; how does it compare with PCA Club racing or SCCA? How is contact treated? Anything a newbie to PBOC should know before diving in?

I've looked at the PBOC site, though I'm having trouble w/access tonight, but am looking for first hand experience. I have raced in a number of series, and am always open to trying another. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:13 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run with PBOC and I can not say enough good things about them. Of my 7 races I have competed in with them, I have witnessed only 1 crash. My car is a mid-pack car in the race group and I am always completely surrounded by cars on all sides and sometimes 3-4 wide into the turns. All of the racers are friendly and very "gentlemanly" on the race track.

PBOC runs their races very similar to PCA where any inncodent must be reported immediately and 13s are common place when fault is found. The only difference I have found is that there are alot less of them given out. Then again, there are usually alot less racers out there too. But sometimes, PBOC has alot of racers out there at once. For instaance, there was 57 cars in my group last weekend and we had 3 races over the weekend......the best of all......NO ACCIDENTS!!. As for comparing PBOC to SCCA, I won't even go there. Were I am from, SCCA is a demolition derby.

Alot of SCCA drivers have tried their hands in the PBOC and have gotten kicked out for their behavior on and off the track. That is another reason I really like PBOC. They take a very strong stance with "idiots" and we don't see them out there with us much. This is exactly why I chose to go racing for the first time with PBOC and I couldn't have chosen better, IMHO!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have only done one race with PBOC but it was a well run event. All racers were in one run session. From Cup cars to 944 N/A, various BMWs and Legend cars. Only issue I had was the stoopid Legend cars, not sure I would race again if they were part of my run group. They didn't look in their mirrors (or even have them in some cases) and some were so slow I lapped them two or three times in a session. The quicker ones were good drivers but the bad ones were pitiful. I honestly can't believe they let them race with full size cars but it is their life at risk. I had one try to squeeze me off the back straight at Road Atlanta, I guarantee he would have been worse for wear if he had gotten any closer. I just had a problem putting my car at risk when these cars are basically disposable. Sorry for the rant, but it was fun to run with the BMW's and having all cars in one group kept it interesting.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:29 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Rich & Greg, thanks for your replies, that's exactly the type of info I wanted.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

I've had very good experiences with PBOC. They are a little pedantic with the race group - "now listen up you whippersnappers, when your tires are cold you can slide off the track" - but overall a great group, little contact and very fun racing.

If you can imagine such, it is even MORE political than PCA though.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:17 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running with PBOC for 2 years in DE and racing in one event, the one that Rich described above. They run clean events. They are serious about good, clean racing. Every incident is investigated and dealt with appropriately. You will enjoy it. As for the roughly 60 cars running at Homestead, which isn't a very wide track, it was a blast. Especially going into turn one at the start, and not one casualty!!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:20 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

"If you can imagine such, it is even MORE political than PCA though."

Thanks Derick. I just try to stay as far away from the politics as possible.

If I race with PBOC, I'd take my Ferrari 360 Challenge car - I think others have run before me, so hopefully classification & tech issues have been resolved already. There aren't that many venues for the Challenge cars, so I'm glad to hear good things about PBOC.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I ran with them at Sebring,I wish they were here that is who I would run with !
Outstanding !
Old 05-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wch
"If you can imagine such, it is even MORE political than PCA though."

Thanks Derick. I just try to stay as far away from the politics as possible.

If I race with PBOC, I'd take my Ferrari 360 Challenge car - I think others have run before me, so hopefully classification & tech issues have been resolved already. There aren't that many venues for the Challenge cars, so I'm glad to hear good things about PBOC.
That's one of the most fun things about PBOC - lots of different makes. Although it does create some "moving pylon" issues as Greg F. described. However, I think that's part of the fun and creates real sportscar type racing. For example, I was able to pass a car in January at Sebring (that I just couldn't seem to get around) by following a GT3 cup car that came up on us. He bored a hole on the inside headed into a turn and the guy in front had to let him by (and me too glued to his tail ).

-dc
Old 05-04-2005, 11:41 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

I haven't raced with PBOC, but I've observed quite a few of their races. I'd say they're well run. Experience levels of the drivers is generally good, but probably on average somewhat lower than in a PCA club race. Incidents seemed to me to be maybe less than in PCA club racing ... maybe because there seemed to be fewer cars on the track. My only reservation is the speed disparity ... Vipers and GT3RS cars out there with Miatas (which are great cars, just a lot slower). Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Quick Reply: PBOC?