Sponsored by:

Formula Fords?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:16 PM
4re308
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Formula Fords?

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 1984 Royale RP-33 Formula Ford car, with lots of comp history, 2 sets of bodywork, 4 set of wheels and rain tires. It is missing the engine and tranny. Does anyone here have any FF experience, parts, tech data, books? Anything about Formula Fords?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:43 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know a damn thing about FF.
...but you must have bought it cheap if you just got a rolling chassis and some extra bodywork.

I've often considered the "wisdom" of buying an older race car. Everytime I see a Radical, I wonder what they'll go for after having been campaigned for two or three seasons.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have heard of some issues with early FFs (maybe all FFs) in regard to protection of the driver. I believe Sunday Driver (Mark Dalen) has a friend that lost both legs in one. There is not much in front of your legs compared to more modern sports racers or open wheel cars. I would also consider a SRF. They are very tough little cars compared to FFs. Friend with a FF had a slight coming together with another car and ended up on landing on his competitor. Really tweaked the car. In a SRF he wouldn't have had to do anything but remove a "donut" mark from his car.

I am sure there are FF shops in your area, might want to check out the scca boards.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:02 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Dad's business partner runs a Van Damien chassis in a full national schedule, runoffs, etc. I've run the car a few times and it is a blast! Nothing like looking over those front tires, using first gear and no clutch.

If you're looking to be nationally competitive, the old chassis probably won't do the trick. The package you're looking at is probably VERY reasonably priced vs Porsches, but you're at a totally different type of racing. The motors need rebuilds, you'll need 4 sets of new slicks for a double national. At the regional scene you could have a great time, but don't count on large classes at every race.

If you're serious about the FFs, PM and i'll put you in touch with a shop here in PA that has been preping and racing the little cars for decades.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:52 AM
4re308
Racer

Hey guys! Awesome, yes I bought it fairly inexpensively. The car is 1984 Royale RP33, its still a few years young for vintage and historic status. I plan on putting it back to original, and running it in some PCA and NASA events. No professional competition for me, just for fun. Any contacts, or any leads on a good drivetrain will be much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Will PCA events let this car run? Pretty dangerous, IMO, to have little open wheel cars on track with 3000lb street/track cars.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 PM
ryoji
Advanced

you can find lots of info for FF, FC at http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/ (www.formula1600.com)
Old 05-03-2005, 02:10 PM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Will PCA events let this car run? Pretty dangerous, IMO, to have little open wheel cars on track with 3000lb street/track cars.
PCA (at least in Oklahoma) won't allow you to run an open wheeler at DE's.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many PCA regions allow other makes -- we, Potomac, do not. As Greg pointed out, it is dangerous to mix cars like that. I raced a Z in SCCA and in Regional races we were often mixed with SRFs which can pass you anywhere in a corner and you cannot see them unless they are behind you or in front of you. If they are next to you, forget it, the only thing visible is the top of the other driver's helmet and the main roll hoop. FF are even shorter then SRFs.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know of any race/DE groups that allow open wheel cars with sports cars/sedans.

I have raced with SFR's here and there (rare) and the biggest issue is you can hardly see them since they are so darn low. I prefer not to run with any proper race car chassis simply due to visiblity issues.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:46 AM
4re308
Racer

Yeah, probably not any PCA events. I joined NASA for that very reason.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

NASA has no classes for open-wheelers.

While they're a blast to race, it's a bitch finding track time for set-up, diddling and driver development in an open-wheeler.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:14 PM
prg
Pro

I'm highly biased, but for me nothing matches the joy of racing an open wheeler. No production based car (at least not that I can afford to race) come even close to the feel of a purpose built car running an inch off the ground.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:00 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

FF still runs in SCCA. club fords were the skippy teaching sled for years.
Chin was allowing open wheeled cars in his de events...

few things to consider, wheel to wheel contact is a space launch, your legs are in front of the axle, and it very unforgiving.

some say real race cars dont have fenders...

try and decide what you want to do with it 1st.

do you really want to go to the runoffs in 3 years, or are your goals more modest...

Quick Reply: Formula Fords?