Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lime Rock Race /Scales /Bizarre

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:17 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I witnessed some confusion at a race recently when corner stations were not flying yellows, but the green had not been waved for a restart either. It is my impression that the whole track does not go green until the green is waved at the start finish line for a start or restart. The corner stations don't always show yellow in that situation. I've definetely seen passes made before the start finish line when the green flys also and I've never seen it penalized in PCA. I once watched a lead car get a huge jump by rightfully taking advantage of following congestion and taking off early out of the final turn before the green dropped in a Star Mazda race. It's the following cars job to stay close and react to the lead car as well as the green.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:57 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Having given it more thought, I just should have passed the guy when it was evident he was not keeping up with the pack. Unquestionably, I was not "racing," and therefore, I was not violating any rule which prohibits "racing" before the green is flown. I was merely trying to keep up with the pack.

The problem with this approach (and this is the reason I did not pass him) is that I thought there was a large risk of being black flagged. If that would have occurred, I probably would have been vindicated, but at the same time fallen even further behind. Or,in a much worse case (but clearly not unforeseeable), I would have been "scolded" and I would have lost my temper with the PCA- a no win position.

John
Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

Amondc:
From my experience during a double yellow last year at Summit Point, as soon as the green is thrown at start finish the whole track goes green. I got caught sleeping when the corner worker at turn 10 pulled the yellows in and the car behind me got a jump on me. Cost me a second in class. I learned my lesson.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

But as a collary to what Mark said, you have to be careful when you're not in sight of the green flag. A couple of years ago at the Glen race, we were under one of (the many) double yellows. I was way in back of the line and didn't have a radio. I was watching the corner worker ahead of me in the off-camber turn. He dropped the yellow and I punched it and jumped out and around the car in front of me, only to find the next station still holding the yellows. I slowed up and let the passed car get in front of me and then they threw the green Of course, I got dinged for a pass under yellow and had to come in for a stop & go. I guess the first corner station got antsy or maybe they just sneezed!

Quick Reply: Lime Rock Race /Scales /Bizarre