Ford diesel break-in

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford diesel break-in

Just a thought - I think I remember reading SteveW saying that strong acceleration in a single gear, followed by lifting off the throttle and letting the engine slow you down in that gear, aided in seating the rings.

That sounds like what happens with Tow/Haul mode with the Torqshift transmission in Ford trucks: staying in a gear & leaving the torque converter locked up while decellerating. I've got 67 miles on my 05 PSD (picked it up yesterday), and was wondering what everyone else thought about driving the truck in T/H (without load or trailer) as a means to aid break-in.

thanks,

RNH
Old 05-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Tim
Racer

You may experience wierd rear wheel lock up while in t/h, descending grades etc, without any load in the truck some of the downshifts will seem quite abrupt. The torqueshift tranny is a close ratio 5 speed, it will shift alot under normal driving conditions, so Id just leave the tranny in normal mode for break in.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:02 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robert,

Try Dieselstop.com it has a similar forum format as Rennlist, area specific to Ford+Dodge+Chevy, and the guys seem to know what they are talking about.

Tim
Old 05-02-2005, 02:36 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

You you you! Congrats!!! Break in? Did towing my race car helped the break in?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It just *barely* fits in the driveway. I'll be out of town for the May 29 SCCA race, so it'll have at least a thousand miles on it before I start towing. 'Course, my ~2,500# trailer & car hardly qualifies as a load for this thing.

Kelly even tells me she'll let me drive 'her' truck once in a while.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I just followed 'normal' no towing break-in procedures on my bride's new 2005 Excursion PSD (I haven't gotten to tow with this one yet, she says that's what the Cayenne is for!). It seems to have worked well on the previous Ford PSD's I've owned.
As a matter of course, I always do an oil/filter change after a long (1000 mi)round trip track tow....Shell Rotella 15W-40 is not too expensive at WalMart. It does take some getting used to having the oil filter on TOP of the motor!
Best of luck with the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Ford diesel break-in