Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio 4/29-5/1 Places to Stay/Rennlisters Going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get reservations for Rocky's it is not a big place. I would also stay away from the Dutch place, hear it has been shut down a time or two due to health dept citations. KC's across from the Quality Inn isn't bad and on the weekend we were there the prime rib was cheap (less than $12 for a big portion) and was quit good. My 2 cents...
Old 04-24-2005, 05:29 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Jamie, with all your track experience, are you running in White or Black?
Old 04-24-2005, 05:36 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

Actually Mike, I'll be in green. I assume that this is because this will be my first time out with Potomac....hope to progress a bit during the first day or at least by the second.

Hope you had a good time at Lime Rock. Good weather?

Jamie
Old 04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you serious? Don't you have over 20 events experience? I know you run White or Black with some groups, so Potomac putting you in Green might be dangerous.

LRP was cold and a little wet. I need some rain tires as slicks just wouldn't cut it.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jamie, if you have that much experience, have the CI of your region talk to Potomac's CI. They should put you into an appropriate group.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:48 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the few events I have been to, there have typically been two or three cars that are faster than mine. At this Mid-Ohio event, there are only 22 green drivers, and five or six cars are faster than mine, including, if my memory serves me correctly, three 996 TTs, a 997 S, and a couple of GT3s. Wow. That should make for an interesting green group.

Also, I see that it is supposed to rain Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Old 04-25-2005, 01:05 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Todd,
I see you on the list. I'll say hello at the track. Should be plenty of room out there in green with only 22 drivers. There is some nice machinary in green for sure.

Larry,
There will be a couple of Schattenbaum instructors there instructing for Potomac I can probably have them put in a word. That being said...first time at this track (15 turns to boot) so heading out with green might be nice for the first session (I plan on studying some video but still....). I planned on filling my instructor in on my experience and seeing what he thought after a session on the track. Thanks for the advice.

Mike,
You definatley need some rain tires. Looking forward to getting together at the Glen!

Jamie
Old 04-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should not be a problem -- We can take care of it at the track.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jamie,

I had a similar grouping question with these guys. When I first signed up, they put me in Green. I have 10 days experience at Mid-Ohio and another 20 days at other tracks. I inquired about this and they put me in Blue and said they would bump me if needed. Another friend with 10 days at Mid-Ohio and 30 days at other tracks was grouped with White. However, he has run with the Potomac region before. As such, I think they prefer to evaluate you themselves and then bump up if needed.

I also noted that the White group has the fewest number of drivers, so they may be planning to bump a few Blues.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Potomac region does not accept novice drivers. I think the minimum experience is two events or a special high performance dreiving event they offer plus some autocrosses. As such, the run groups could be faster than usual. Let's hope so.

Stop by the garage and say "Hi."
Old 04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Potomac's web software automatically puts you in Green if you haven't run with them before (or at least I had the same experience that others had). A friendly email to the DE chair quickly resolved the issue for me and I was put into an appropriate run group.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again, this is a no-brainer. We have a system of evaluations and promotions. I currently have some unassigned evaluation instructors who will be happy to ride with you to determine which run group you should be in. As you said, going out in Green to see the track for the first time is not all bad. I am in the garage next to registration.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:01 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alan,
Thanks for the input. As I am an unknown to Potomac I fully understand and respect the green asignment. Certainley it will be nice to get the lay of the land in the slow group and see where things go from there. With three days there should be plenty of time for an evaluation and promotion if deemed appropriate. Really looking forward to the event. I will stop by and say hello for sure. Thanks again.

Jamie

Noel and Brian ...thanks for the coments and advice. I'll stop by and say hello.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Once again, this is a no-brainer. We have a system of evaluations and promotions. I currently have some unassigned evaluation instructors who will be happy to ride with you to determine which run group you should be in. As you said, going out in Green to see the track for the first time is not all bad. I am in the garage next to registration.
Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I certainly understand the reasoning behind the approach and it makes sense. It is better to error on the side of grouping too slow than too fast. Besides, it is also easier on egos to get bumped up rather than being bumped down.
I too am looking forward to a fun and safe weekend. Now, let's hope we get some dry weather.

I'll stop by and introduce myself.

Noel

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio 4/29-5/1 Places to Stay/Rennlisters Going?