Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 03:10 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunllop Slicks Vs Hoosier Slicks vs Goodyear Slicks vs Michelin Slicks

OK Gang:

I know first-hand from watching you guys and some of my friends that the Dunlop Slicks are a killer tire.

My question is, has anyone ran true Hoosier Race Slicks, or Goodyear Race Slicks, or Michelin Race slicks, and if so, can you offer any comparison between the them and the Dunlops.

Is the concensus that the Dunlop slicks are the fastest, or is it just a thing of they are readily available, and easy to get, so that is why people use them?

(I'm not talking about comparing the Dunlops to R-compound DOT Slicks, we know that the Dunlops kick the R Compounds all over the place)

I'm just wondering who has ran other brands of race slicks and how do they compare to Dunlops, or other brands of race slicks that they have ran?

Has anyone out there ran different brands of Race Slicks? If so, which one was the best in your opinion?

Brian
Old 04-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

The Michelin slicks make all the others look like junk. AFAIK, they are only available in Cup sizes, so they are not for everybody.

The difference is that they are made for a heavy, rear engine car. All the others are one size fits all. Either the rear isn't tough enough or the front is way too tough.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 04-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Chris,
What is your guess on the percentage of 996 Cup cars in PCA run the Michelins? I don't recall seeing them on many cars but have heard good things about them.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting thread. I'd be interested to get some feedback on yokohama as well. On my C4S the Yokohama slicks would last only for about 10 heat cycles...

Are Michelin more durable?

AW
Old 04-21-2005, 06:07 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Michelins come in many sizes. I looked at them for my GT2 but decided against them. I knew another GT2 that ran them too. I also have a friend that ran them on their WC TT. They were not as fast as the Dunlops from what I heard.

Keep in mind though, for cup cars there are different compunds. There are also the european cup tires which are yet another compound. So it may be for cup cars the Michelins are faster.

From everything I have heard, another point is that the Michelin customer tire is no where near as good as the 'Factory' Team car tires that the Alex Job cars run.

Again, I have not run them back to back, but friends have done so.

So just take it as a one reference point.

Norm
Old 04-21-2005, 06:14 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
The Michelin slicks make all the others look like junk. AFAIK, they are only available in Cup sizes, so they are not for everybody.

The difference is that they are made for a heavy, rear engine car. All the others are one size fits all. Either the rear isn't tough enough or the front is way too tough.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
I totally agree with Chris. Michelin is the way to go. I wish that we could run them in the ROLEX GRAND AM. We have had problems with the Hoosiers. Speaking with the other teams like TRG, TPC, NONAMAKER, SYNERGY, ........ we all have had issues of the damn tires spinning on the rim. Hoosier says its the wheels and the drivers. Not the tires. Hence no solution of course. They also don't last worth a crap either when you are really haullin .....

Theo
Old 04-22-2005, 07:41 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone ran Goodyear slicks? Looks like we've covered Michelin, and in other threads Dunlop, any other comments about Pirellis or Goodyears?

Brian
Old 04-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith, I have run on the Pirellis and they are probably the slowest of the race tires, but they have great sizes for our cars, are the least expensive, and probably have the most usable heat cycles. Think of them as a super Hoosier.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:01 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Larry:

Thanks man. Which model Pirellis are you referring to?

Are you running Dunlops now or Pirellis?

Brian
Old 04-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I am still running the Pirelli P Zero slicks, but also the Dunlop SSRs (R compounds). I have a link for the Pirellis from Bob Woodman Tires here. I have not tried the Dunlop slicks yet because #1) The Pirellis are about $1100 a set from Woodman and the Dunlop slicks are $1650 from Sasco, and #2) everyone who is going really fast on the Dunlops say that the peformance starts to fall off after 3 heat cycles. That is a little much for a DE. Now if it were for Club Racing and that $30 trophy, well that's different!
Old 04-24-2005, 12:09 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what would happen if I started using new slicks instead of used slicks with who knows how many heat cycles.... LOL

On one hand they are $75 a tire used and I can get 450-600 miles out them, but a new set would be nice, fast and expensive.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:04 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heck forget the tires, I wonder how fast I could go if I wasn't breaking stuff....

Brian
Old 04-24-2005, 12:24 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Now if it were for Club Racing and that $30 trophy, well that's different!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
Heck forget the tires, I wonder how fast I could go if I wasn't breaking stuff....

Brian
Having a 1000 hp does have it's downsides. I am thankful that I only have 400. It's as much as I need.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:01 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

No, you always need more.

Quick Reply: Dunllop Slicks Vs Hoosier Slicks vs Goodyear Slicks vs Michelin Slicks