Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is $250 for painting DAS bar an OK price.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:10 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go get 2 cans of SEM self etching black primer, and 2 cans of SEM Trim Black in spray cans.

A 2 year old can spray this stuff and make it look great. It will have a nice flat finish, and regardless of how you spray it, it will "even itself out" and you'll have a nice even flat finish on all the bars. 3 coats and you are done. The self etching primer will help it adhere pretty well to the bar, even if you don't prep it other than wiping it down with some solvent beforehand.

$250 is basically 4 hours of shop labor +/-.

I know it sounds cheap to use spray cans on $75K car, but I'm telling you, it'll have a nice flat/satin black finish on it.

Brian
Old 04-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine powdercoated for $271.48. It's semi-gloss black, I'd call it a satin finish, and it's gorgeous. I'd never paint what I could powdercoat, especially something that gets bumped and scraped like a roll-bar.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:19 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can agree with that too Larry.

Powder coating has gotten alot cheaper. I had all of my sheet metal on my engine powder coated last year for $120. To me, that was a deal.

If you take it to a good powder coater, they are going to put it in a big blast cabinet, then blow it off, and spray powder on it, then put it in the oven. That has to take less time than at a body shop where they may/may not have a blast cabinet large enough to blast it.

So I could see it costing less than what you were quoted by the body shop.

Brian
Old 04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I suggest slowing down and doing it right the first time. If you rush to get it done and don't do it right, it will bother you and then you will pay to do it right anyway. If you need the bar in the car for an immediate track event, either install it as is or throw on a quick coat of some spray paint.

I had my powder coated for between 100 and 150, I can't remember exactly the amount, but it wasn't as expensive as you are talking. I think powder coating is the right answer because it is more durable and the roll bar will bet bumped and beaten up a little where paint will chip more easily. I had it done before installation and installed it myself, so maybe that has been built into your prices.

Good luck and do what you want.

-Skip
Old 04-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva
But....isn't powder coating more expensive than painting, my mechanic said it'll be atleast twice as much.
Depends on the shop. If you find a job shop doing a batch of motorcycle frames, they can toss the bar in CHEAP!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:50 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rustolum makes hammer finish spray paint. Home Depot has a line of colors from silver to red. I use the dark gray or black. It has more texture than regular paint but not as much as rocker coating. You do not need to use any primer with this product, just clean with flash dry solvent to remove oils (Red can Brake-Kleen works well) Small imperfections and flash rust are no problem and will be well masked by the paints slightly textured surface. The paint is dry to touch in hours. Install the next day. The paint has a mottled finish and hides amateur spray work real well. One $5 can will cover a bar but get two you can go back over any areas that look uneven.

If you spray a thin cover coat, wait 10 min then recover to get the surface finish you like it works well and can be done by a shade tree wrench without drips.

If you got the time and $ powder coat.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:09 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

My cage was powder coated for $180. Doesn't sound like you are being offered much of a deal.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kurt M
Rustolum makes hammer finish spray paint. Home Depot has a line of colors from silver to red. I use the dark gray or black. It has more texture than regular paint but not as much as rocker coating. You do not need to use any primer with this product, just clean with flash dry solvent to remove oils (Red can Brake-Kleen works well) Small imperfections and flash rust are no problem and will be well masked by the paints slightly textured surface. The paint is dry to touch in hours. Install the next day. The paint has a mottled finish and hides amateur spray work real well. One $5 can will cover a bar but get two you can go back over any areas that look uneven.

If you spray a thin cover coat, wait 10 min then recover to get the surface finish you like it works well and can be done by a shade tree wrench without drips.

If you got the time and $ powder coat.
Thanks, If you have tried it and liked it, I'll check that out after work today, I was thinking of the near by advance auto parts which carry duplicolor primer and paint, any experience with those.....I couldn't find any stores selling SEM primer/paint like Brian had suggested.

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 04-22-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeeva,

Does this mean you are trying to get ready for the three day Potomac event at Mid-Ohio next weekend (April 29,30 and May1)? If so, I'll see you there. I'll PM you my cell number. You should join us for dinner on Thurs or Friday night.

BTW, I painted my DAS-Sport bar with Rustoleum primer and Gloss Black paint. I'm very happy with the resuilts. Grand total cost was about $15 for the paint. It did take me about two days between the multiple coats of paint and the sanding.

Noel
Old 04-22-2005, 01:52 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

I got mine done for approximately $135.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

I had my cage sprayed in the car. Primer top coat. The cost was $350 which i thought was pretty good considering how tight some of the places were.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $75 to have the DAS bar powder-coated in black.

Quick Reply: Is $250 for painting DAS bar an OK price.