HaulMark vs. Pace

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 03:57 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HaulMark vs. Pace

Am I missing something, haulmark ...vs. Pace...
Please let me hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 06:35 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Pace 24' trailer that I like, however, I found out recently that they're no fun to deal with when it comes to parts. It took 3 months to get the parts in to repair some of the body panels, trim, and side door. The side door wasn't even the correct size, so the repair shop had to do extra work to get it to fit. It's not like there aren't a bunch of similar trailers on the road, and presumably being produced now, so this is simply ridiculous.

During my experience I began to hear similar stories from other Pace owners, so it seems to be a problem with the company itself. I don't know if Haulmark would be any better in this respect, but at this point I would have a very hard time buying another Pace or recommending the brand to anyone else. It's bad enough having to deal with race cars, and "exotic" German ones at that, but I really didn't expect something as low-tech as a trailer to be such a pain.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skips post about Pace is almost a carbon copy of my experience with the folks at Haulmark, and the local dealer who sold me the trailer. After an almost unbelievable runaround from the dealer I sourced the needed body parts from another dealer near San Diego. Shipping was not even an option with anyone I spoke with, no matter the cost. The parts had to be picked-up at the dealer. I drove the 220 mile round-trip and nothing was correct. I repaired my bent fender, modified the corner,left the biggest panel bent, and cussed for hours (after I was told there was no way to direct-ship the correct parts to me, even after I volunteered to pay again!) I followed-up with calls to the contact person and manager at the dealer and never heard back. When I upgrade I will take a loss on the trailer and consider it a lesson well-learned.
Granted these are support issues and not quality ones, I still think I bought a good trailer, but next time I'll find the best dealer and then make my deal. As opposed to the closest dealer I could find.
-CJ
Old 04-19-2005, 02:50 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Here are the differences.

http://www.primotrailersales.com/PDF...s_haulmark.pdf

My company sells Pace and have sold them for over 10 years. The company itself is excellent to deal with. That's not to say there aren't hiccups.

With this sort of product your dealer is as important as the manufacturer- if not more so.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:41 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Have you considerded buying a Classic? I spent the last few years trying to educate myself about trailers and I was down to Pace & Classic. My local dealer had Continental Cargo on the lower end and ATC and Feathlite on the upper end. I decided to go with the Classic thought it was a good value. I think they make a nice product and it weighs a bout 500lbs less than a Wells Cargo or a Haulmark. My2C
C
Old 04-19-2005, 08:09 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have narrowed it down to a Pace Pursuit or a Haulmark Thrifty Hauler both so similar 10K GVW differences I see are outside hinges on doors as opposed to Piano hinge style, on pace, gavenelle rounded roof as opposed to a flat one piece aluminum, a standard 48 side door as opposed to a standard 36 " side door. HaulMark has one roof vent Pace has 2, Haulmark has a rear loading light, Pace doesn't Pace has a nice interior finish, and is $1700 more than Haulmark... I think I would prefer the pace, but my walletsays buy the HaulMark...
Old 04-19-2005, 11:05 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

I have a 24ft Haulmark Race Trl. Love it 7500lb axels, tows like a dream. Interior is complete with diamond plate etc. Would def recommend one.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Sweet 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy's got a 24 ft. Haulmark with diamond plate floor.. and the floor is warping baddly.. maybe it's due to the heat/cold temp change I don't know.. But for what he paid for the trailer I don't think it should be warping...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:31 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the subfloor plywood is delaminating. Is it treated plywood?

Originally Posted by Sweet 944
My buddy's got a 24 ft. Haulmark with diamond plate floor.. and the floor is warping baddly.. maybe it's due to the heat/cold temp change I don't know.. But for what he paid for the trailer I don't think it should be warping...
Old 04-19-2005, 10:37 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have 3 enclosed Haulmark trailers and one Cargo King. I am not overly impressed with the quality of the Haulmark. i bought the cargo king and it seems a little better. Most of these trailers are made in the same area and from what i am told many of them have questionable quality. From what i can see the higher end trailers have a much better level of fit and finish.

As for pure utility the Haulmark works just fine and tows well beind my Touareg.

Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Sweet 944, looks like a heat expansion issue. Maybe tell your friend to look into cutting down the diamond plate a little. Got a grinder??
Old 04-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Sweet 944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RICHVIZZ951
Sweet 944, looks like a heat expansion issue. Maybe tell your friend to look into cutting down the diamond plate a little. Got a grinder??
The only problem with that is that it is the subfloor doing the expanding.. so if we cut the diamond plate while the subfloor is expanded.. then when the subfloor contracts your (I mean the) diamond plate will have gaps.. & look like sh*t....
Old 04-21-2005, 01:39 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Very good observation, sweet44. Any suggestions? The trailer will be empty next week...
Old 04-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Sweet 944
Three Wheelin'

Maybe remove one of the diamond plate sheets to see if the it is indeed the wood subfloor that is wet... If it is, then you should leave the trailer open for awhile to allow for some airflow to dry it out..
Old 04-22-2005, 07:38 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Skip in Boulder]I have a Pace 24' trailer that I like, however, I found out recently that they're no fun to deal with when it comes to parts. It took 3 months to get the parts in to repair some of the body panels, trim, and side door. The side door wasn't even the correct size, so the repair shop had to do extra work to get it to fit. It's not like there aren't a bunch of similar trailers on the road, and presumably being produced now, so this is simply ridiculous.[QUOTE]

You know, there are multiple Pace plants around the US. I deal with the one in Georgia and have found really good parts service. Granted, I haven't had any real big problems but the three times I have ordered items from them, I received them very fast. I love my trailer other than the fact that I have a tendency to want to overload it...

Don't forget to consider the Featherlite trailers as well. They have made a strong committment to racing and know how to build a really nice trailer.

Quick Reply: HaulMark vs. Pace