Qualifying for 1st IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:12 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
...(they cost as much as a driver 944, chump change for him but a lot of guitar pedals to sell for me).
You're my hero Mike! Really sorry to hear you got punted. Might have to buy a pedal or two for the cause.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Laura
Pro

We went into this series to compete at the next level up from club racing, a stepping stone future paticipation at a higher level. We have a young driver, Nathan Swartzbaugh, that we felt was ready to test the waters with stiff competition in cup racing. I am sure he was, by far the 'greenest' competitor in a Porsche or any sportscar in this race. He was able to compete with drivers who have had club, Rolex Sportscar, Grand Am Cup, ALMS, Formula Ford and BMW experience. We felt this was a great venue for him to compete in and take advantage of the experience and exposure.

Expensive ? Isn't it all relative to what you are trying to accomplish? Our biggest expense is getting the team and equipment from Southern California to the other side of the US. But the travel expense was the same as when we've traveled back for other customers to go to a PCA event. Entry fee is more, I would expect it to be (don't the elite golf tournaments have higher fees?). Tires - we were limited to 2 sets, it is not unusual for our customers to request 3 or 4 sets for a club weekend, granted more track time, but $$ spent. Fees for engine and trans inspection - steep but I realize they are trying to manage a level playing field. I think most amateurs who are entering this series already have crews that support them in semi-pro or club level events, those fees are expected wherever they participate.

As for the pro drivers, that is something the entrants and IMSA may need to clarify to everyone's satisfaction. Patrick Long didn't compete in the race but he was willing to talk to Nathan and give him any pointers he could. A few weeks ago, Brent Martini and Cort Wagner sat Nathan down and told him how to drive this car. The pro drivers in this capacity was invaluable to Nathan and along with his natural talent, showed what he could do in a field of equally prepared cars. In our opinion, this is what the series was sold to us as, we may be looking thru rose colored glasses at the moment, but we had a good event and are very proud of Nathan's performance, we were pleased with the first round. IMSA was easy to work with and we have always enjoyed a good relationship with the group at Porsche Motorsports.
Laura
Hergesheimer MotorSports

P.S. Nathan's sponsor, Mom & Dad Swartzbaugh Retirement Account, would love to share equity in this endeavor with anyone interested !
Old 04-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Happily '06 Cup Cars will come with sealed engines and transmissions and will thus eliminate those costs for the new cars.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Dick Dobson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi all,

Congrats to Mark Hupfer for his podium finish and all the other club racers in this ground breaking inaugural event. I was proud to be there and double proud to see our club racers at the next level. Regards to all,

Dick
Old 05-12-2005, 08:06 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts
Default IMSA race story with lots of pictures.

HI,

I finally finished my Atlanta GT3 Cup race story (mostly pictures) and there is also a link to the IMSA web site with plenty more pictures.

Have fun!

Old 05-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really cool, Mike. Good luck in Ohio!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:30 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Live the life Mr. Mike!!! Best of luck in the heartland. Full report when you get back eh?

Quick Reply: Qualifying for 1st IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge