Sponsored by:

DE insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 AM
DMG
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE insurance

Would someone give me the names of insurance companies who supply DE insurance?. I did a quick search, but couldn't find any company names. I know I've seen some posted in the past, just couldn't find them

Thanks,
Dave.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:53 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMG
Would someone give me the names of insurance companies who supply DE insurance?. I did a quick search, but couldn't find any company names. I know I've seen some posted in the past, just couldn't find them

Thanks,
Dave.
There isn't any...in terms of risk-insured dollar benefits. Best thing to do is keep mouth shut, foot down and be safe!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/141437-de-insurance.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/125488-track-insurance-found.html
Old 04-14-2005, 11:15 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bobby is partly right, there are a couple of companies, Leyland etc, but remember ALL ins co share data via a common data bank, could spell trouble in the future( not only auto ins, but life,health etc. Hate to lose my life ins bc I did a DE).
Old 04-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Hate to lose my life ins bc I did a DE).
That isn't going to happen unless you made a material misrepresentation on the application. And even then there is only a two year window where the insurance company could rescind your policy.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, this is a bit disconcerting.

Laurel Driver Education - Porsche Club of America On-Track Insurance<Laurel Driver Education>, Legal Information.
www.laurelde.com/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

I just tried the website and got this?

This Account Has Been Suspended

The above URL has been suspended. If you are the site owner please contact our billing department billing@katzglobal.com. If you are NOT the site owner please do not contact this department of the hosting company as we will not be able to help you. Please contact us with your Account details so we can assit you and your hosting account.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Disconcerting, indeed, particularly since I had purchased insurance. However, I called Laurel Consulting, talked with Peter Sereda, and he assured me that they are still in business selling DE insurance and honoring my policy. He expressed surprise that the web site is down, and said he intends to rectify the situation.

He can be reached toll-free at 866-518-1110
Old 04-14-2005, 12:28 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool, I just left a message with Dave. I am only half way through my 30 days.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Bill, N, thanks for that info.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

www.laurelde.com is back up.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:21 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I use www.laurelde.com. Dave Epringham (sp?) raced in the Canadien 944 turbo cup races.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:33 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave just left me a message that everything is okay. He is racing Mustangs in ALMS this year and called me from Road Atlanta where they are practicing. I was watching the first race of the season and his hood popped open and luckily flew right off. It would have sucked if it didn't fly off and just lied (or is that layed?) on the windshield!

Jim
Old 04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not an insurance expert, but have read some stuff. Bottom line, the DE policy suppliments your car insurance. Any covered claim goes against the DE policy. Your Street Ins company could care less since they are not on the hook for the risk. I see no reason why the DE policiy should adversely affect other insurance... unless of course you declare that you do not drive on the track or something.

Auto Ins companies are getting wise to track use and either specifically excluding it or potentially denying claims. Personally, unless you are specifically covered by your street policy, I would err on the side of caution and assume you are not... if you do get your claim settled, it is possible your premiums will go up, or you'll get dropped or something. If you lie about it you could get into trouble for fraud etc. I wouldn't try it.

This day and age if you are actively doing DE more than a couple times a year, I would strongly consider DE insurance. It is usually declared value. My policy works out to roughly 1.5% of declared value with a 20% deductable. Good risk management and piece of mind.

American Collectors is the company I use. 800-360-2277. I have never had a claim, but I have heard stories and most of them have been totally satisfactory. I am not recommending them, just giving you the contact info.

DE will generally not cover any racing or timed event
Old 04-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of things to add to what JCP said. Some are based on my own experience (and experience I've seen others had) and some are based from conversations with relatives who sell insurance.

1) If you are in an at-fault accident (which almost all DE accidents are), you should expect your premiums to go up. The number I've often heard is 15% for a total of 3 years. From my conversations with relatives, this amount is somewhat standard and as little to do with whether or not your accident was on the street or on the track.

2) If you have an accident on the track, don't lie and say that it happened somewhere else. The worst that can happen if you tell the truth is that they either deny the claim or they pay out and drop you later. The worst that can happen if you lie is you go to jail. I've seen enough prison movies to decide that's not where I want to be.

3) If you have any doubts about whether or not your policy covers you, get the most recent copy of your policy and read it. If you don't understand it, find someone to help you decipher it. Ultimately, if a company decides they don't cover DE, it's the wording of your policy that determines whether or not you are covered. It is NOT the conversation that you had with your agent. It may be worthwhile to check your policy every time that you are renewed to ensure that it hasn't changed.

4) A policy may look like it covers DE's and then when it comes time to pay, the insurance company may hem and haw over it. If you do lots of events and you are concerned about this, you may want to check with other people who have put claims through the same company and see what their experience has been with them. If you are putting through a $15000 claim and it costs you $10000 in lawyer fees to get the company to pay, you might as well not bother.

5) The DE policies that you purchase separately seem best suited to cover catastrophic loss. Most people probably wouldn't insure a cheap car and 20% of an expensive car means that you need a lot of damage to get past the deductible. Before buying the policy, you may want to run the numbers to see if it really makes sense.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:05 PM
c4bliss
Racer

hmmm, ok, i spoke with my agent at AAA. After explaining a DE event to them, that it is not racing, no timing involved ect, and informing them that it was being held on a race track, i was told i would be covered.....

Quick Reply: DE insurance