DE insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:31 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c4bliss
hmmm, ok, i spoke with my agent at AAA. After explaining a DE event to them, that it is not racing, no timing involved ect, and informing them that it was being held on a race track, i was told i would be covered.....
did you mention the word "track"? i am wondering how to go about asking my agent if DE's are covered. how did you describe DE to them?

oh ya, better get that in writing. i've heard AAA is one of the worst around at paying up.

Last edited by karlooz; 04-18-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree. Ths agent is not the underwriter. There is no risk to the the agent to say you are covered. You say "oh it is driver education"... then the car comes in with a rollcage, race seats, 5-points and numbers on it.... talk your way out of that one....

Bottom line you have to make your own personal risk assessment, how hard you drive and how many events you do. But someone who hapily forks out $3,500 for new wheels and balks at spending $600 to hedge a $40K loss... I don;t know. If you do ten events, its $60 a weekend.

I'm not on commission here.... just trying ot put things into perspecitve. I've seen a number of guys eat $30-40K and it really ruins your day.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Originally Posted by karlooz
did you every mention the word "track"? i am wondering how to go about asking my agent if DE's are covered. how did you describe DE to them?

oh ya, better get that in writing. i've heard AAA is one of the worst around at paying up.
Carlos,

When i spoke to them i specifically said "race track" and drivers education. Their first response was no, your not covered. i had to explain them that this was being held at a track, but we were not being timed, there was no "racing". She told me as long as their was no racing, and you were not being timed, i would be covered. They had a spaz at first when i mentioned race track. I had to explain the details of the event to them and they told me ok.....
Old 04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4bliss
Carlos,

When i spoke to them i specifically said "race track" and drivers education. Their first response was no, your not covered. i had to explain them that this was being held at a track, but we were not being timed, there was no "racing". She told me as long as their was no racing, and you were not being timed, i would be covered. They had a spaz at first when i mentioned race track. I had to explain the details of the event to them and they told me ok.....
Verbal OK is no ok...get it in writing...ensure that DE is not an "exclusion" in your policy...
Old 04-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Kavo
Rennlist Member

c4bliss

I was told exactly the same thing by my insurance company (Prudential now High Point) and was denighed after a DE Accident. Make sure you get it in writing or your conversation doesn't mean a thing.

Kavo
Old 04-15-2005, 02:27 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would add that the easiest way to get it in writing is to send them the flyer or URL for the event you will be attending and ask them to send you back a response. That way you know that they know what you are going to do, and you have proof that they knew what you were going to do.

BTW, the "no timing" claim is normally not the case at DE's I have attended. Someone always has a lap timer set up, and many people have portable telemetry systems in-car. So the best you could claim would be that YOU weren't timing your laps. But if the people on-track with you are, it certainly gives the insurance company wiggle room.

Quick Reply: DE insurance