Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAS Sport Bar for PCA club Racing????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:26 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DAS Sport Bar for PCA club Racing????

I have a confusion regarding the DAS sport roll bar. When I purchased one for last fall for my 96TT I was told it qualified for PCA Club Races. Now I heard that only certain newer versions qualify. I looked at Colin's website and the pics looks just like my bar, and the add states that it does qualify for PCA club racing.

Anyone out there that can clarify this for me?? I'd hate to have to buy another bar....
Old 04-14-2005, 01:43 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

If only newer versions are CR legal, it's news to me and/or I missed it when PCA made their changes for the new year.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Mark apparently the PCA approved the bars as of Aug 2003, as reported on CDOC's website.
http://www.dassport.com/race_993_bar.asp
Old 04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

JR - if you read the statement, it is a re-establishment of it legality. At one point a couple years ago PCA CR was evaluating whether the DAS bars would remain legal or not.

I would take 30 minutes and read the 2005 club racing rules and you'll find that the DAS bar is sufficient and meets CR rules. Many folks have been using it to CR in the past and nothing was changed in the rules for 2005 to change that.

Many will argue that a roll bar isn't good enough and shouldn't be allowed, but that is a philisophical discussion, not a factual one. I have the DAS bar and plan to use it when I club race.

-Skip
Old 04-14-2005, 05:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Skip I have read the manual and always thought it was authorized. A PCA tech rep here on the West Coast told me yesterday that it may or may not be authorized and that was the basis of my original post. After talking with CDOC today I agree that it is the correct bar, though it has to have the actual front bolts installed, which many people don't drill through when they do their install as they don't want to drill into their car.

Originally Posted by swftiii
JR - if you read the statement, it is a re-establishment of it legality. At one point a couple years ago PCA CR was evaluating whether the DAS bars would remain legal or not.

I would take 30 minutes and read the 2005 club racing rules and you'll find that the DAS bar is sufficient and meets CR rules. Many folks have been using it to CR in the past and nothing was changed in the rules for 2005 to change that.

Many will argue that a roll bar isn't good enough and shouldn't be allowed, but that is a philisophical discussion, not a factual one. I have the DAS bar and plan to use it when I club race.

-Skip
Old 04-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

JR,

For coupes, no drilling is necessary for installation. The bar bolts right into the B-pillar.

I'm curious: was this a national PCA club racing tech that told you this or a regional person?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to settle this is to e-mail either Donna Amico or Lance Weeks (or both) and if they say it's OK make a copy of the e-mail and staple it in your log book. Local scruts can sometimes have a slightly different interpretation of the GCRs and no matter how good your argument is they always win unless you have documentation from a "higher power"

That said, racing with a roll bar instead of a cage is dumb but as has been said that's a philisophical discussion. Your the one in the car not me.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:39 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
JR,
For coupes, no drilling is necessary for installation. The bar bolts right into the B-pillar.
I'm curious: was this a national PCA club racing tech that told you this or a regional person?
Mark, As I understand it there is a bolt, washer, and nut that can be ordered with the bar. It is supposed to be drilled though the flange plate and then attached w/ washer & nut under the pan. Unfortunatley, since I spoke to CDOC tis morning I have been unable to get to my car to check it out. Anothr weird thing is that is doen't say that on CDOC page that details the bar...

The guy was reginonal as referred to me by Susan Shire @ PCA. I'm still not sure if he was wrong....
Old 04-14-2005, 10:39 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JR,
Take AL's advice. Get an email from Donna or Lance, and keep a copy in your logbook. Golden!
Old 04-15-2005, 12:43 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

JR - I agree with the others - email Lance or Donna and keep that for your log book. Mark in Balt has been club racing with the DAS bar bolted into the stock bolt locations. I have never read or seen anything about additional bolts to the flange plate for a coupe. As Mark stated, the cab version of the bar requires drilling and mounting because the dimensions and such are different in the back seat.

Good luck with the confirmation from Lance, but there are numerous others racing with the no-drill DAS bar in the stock class coupes.

-Skip
Old 04-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

JR,

Thanks for the info. It's news to me.

Quick Reply: DAS Sport Bar for PCA club Racing????