Sponsored by:

Radical SR3 or Used Cup Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:30 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radical SR3 or Used Cup Car?

Well my father and I currently race two seperate cars. Him a 993 and me a 944 turbo. He has no aspirations of racing of any sort but loves to do track days. I on the other hand have done some overseas karting and am getting into a racing a whole lot. Looking for something a lot more competetive and something that I can race in different types of races. gt3 in grand am, radical in the new radical series starting, scca csr and I even heard the radicals will be running with some overseas supercup events. We would sell both cars and buy just one. He would do a couple DEs a year, nothing major and I would campaign the car mostly and pay for a lot of the maintnance that is why I was really leaning towards a radical. I hear the maintnance is not too extreme for them whereas a cupcar might be. He is a 911 guy so he prefers the cup car while I am leaning towards a radical, but would still love a cupcar. Anyone have experience with these two cars that could shed some light. I am completely torn.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

if you pm AW, he has both. perhaps he can answer your question.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Mo,
SundayDriver (Mark Dalen) ran a radical for a couple of years. If he does not chime in here shoot him a e mail
Old 04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want to be competitive in SCCA there are better (and cheaper) options for sports racers but they aren't two seaters.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:28 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS
Well my father and I currently race two seperate cars. Him a 993 and me a 944 turbo. He has no aspirations of racing of any sort but loves to do track days. I on the other hand have done some overseas karting and am getting into a racing a whole lot. Looking for something a lot more competetive and something that I can race in different types of races. gt3 in grand am, radical in the new radical series starting, scca csr and I even heard the radicals will be running with some overseas supercup events. We would sell both cars and buy just one. He would do a couple DEs a year, nothing major and I would campaign the car mostly and pay for a lot of the maintnance that is why I was really leaning towards a radical. I hear the maintnance is not too extreme for them whereas a cupcar might be. He is a 911 guy so he prefers the cup car while I am leaning towards a radical, but would still love a cupcar. Anyone have experience with these two cars that could shed some light. I am completely torn.
No experience in either, although I did witness what an SR3 can do on the track at Tremblant a couple of years back. Very impressive! A few thoughts from a non-participant who has considered both these cars. If you're serious about racing and want to win, make sure that you buy a car that is capable of it. No idea if a Radical fits the bill in this regard. Second thought $$$$. There's little doubt that in general a CSR will cost far less to run then a Cup Car. Third thought, the Radical is an aero car, quite a different kettle of fish from a 911, is that the type of racing you want to do? Lastly, I wonder, if you can really pull it off. Racing at the levels you mention seems to be a contact sport these days, how easy-going will you father be, if you get punted and he misses a DE or two?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:01 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Get a Pheonix/Maloy, Stohr, ADR, OMS, or one of the bigger names for CSR/DSR. Radical is not really a contender at this time, as they are developing bigger things for bigger series, like lmp2 with the Sr9, and developing Sr8 series, and whatnot.

Sportsracers are so much fun, easy to work on, and you can devleop them in DSR/DSR yourself, rules are great for engineering the cars yourself.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:56 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS
I asked myself the exact same question so I went and drove a Radical at one of their customer days at Brands Hatch (I now live in the UK for a while) and though the Radical was awesone (I drove the 4 as the 3 is for enduro series and the 1 only has 1 seat and I like having 2) it was not what I was looking for. The maintenance costs are extremely high. Over £20,000 for a season here, excluding going to races, and really require a mechanic to set-up properly as you can't do it all alone. In the end, I bought a 1991 cup car converted to a 1994 RSR look and part, except the engine which is a modified street 3.6 pushed to 3.8 with 325hp (max allowed in my series for the weight in UK Porsche Open). I think that you should try the radical before you decide
JM
Old 04-24-2005, 11:16 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw an SR3 eat up everything except for a Porsche factory spec race car at Homestead this weekend. It was pretty impressive!

Quick Reply: Radical SR3 or Used Cup Car?