Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a roll bar be installed/removed easily on a 2000 996? Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005 | 07:46 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Default Can a roll bar be installed/removed easily on a 2000 996? Need advice.

I'd like to get a roll bar,harness, and race seat for my 996 for DE. My problem is that I use the car on the street and I put my boys in the back. So If I were to get a roll bar, Is it something I could install the night before DE and then take it back out after? I'm not worried if it takes a while, I just don't know what it takes to put one in and out of the car. I have the same question for a race seat. Could I swap out the stock seat for the race seat in an hour or so or is it not even worth it. Please let me know if this is a pipe dream. Any suggestion on who makes a good roll bar and race seat besides Porsche. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2005 | 10:14 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can get the seats in and out within an hour. The Porsche GT3 seat fits well, but it doesn't fit everyone's rear end. Recaro seats also work well and BK sells a full line of seat mounts to make it work. They also make a nice harness bar for the 996.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/index.php

There's been long discussions regarding the safety of harness bars versus roll bars versus cages. You should do a search and read a bit before putting any money down.
Old 03-30-2005 | 11:24 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You won't get a Tequipment bar in and out in any short amount of time. A DAS sport bar could be taken out reasonably (30-45 minutes with GT3 seats). The operation is delicate as not to scratch any of the interior or the side of the car. It will require another person to help.
Old 03-31-2005 | 08:43 AM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Scott:
I have 2 boys, and switched to a 996 from a Boxster to get the back seats! After alot of research, I had to take out the back seats to accomodate a rollbar.
The answer is NO. There is no saving the back seats with a rollbar.
I have a 996TT and installed a Tequipment Rollbar. I looked into several different bars and none of them are easily removeable.
You can go with GT3 seats (I think they look ugly and out of place in a street car) AND use a Harness bar that is easily removeable to save the back seats.
PM me if you need a Harness Bar, I have one for sale.
Old 03-31-2005 | 11:56 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I also went thru this. The roll bar is a PITA to install, and I had to switch to a harness bar because I can easly move that in/out of the car. My car has the Bose stereo system, so I had to get a harness bar that didn't attach to the rear strut-mounts.

I'm also selling my harness bar because I'm selling my car, let me know if you are interested.
Old 04-02-2005 | 12:57 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will have to keep thinking on this. I know a rollbar is best, but there is no way I can go with one and leave it in the car full time. I need the back for the kids. I planned on going with a harness bar and my stock seats or swaping out the stock seat for a racing seat on track days, but many people have said it is more dangerous to do that than just leave the car as is. I will have to do more research. Any more thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Can a roll bar be installed/removed easily on a 2000 996? Need advice.