Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

PCA Stock & Street Driven???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 04:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PCA Stock & Street Driven???

Ok lets see how many of you folks have PCA stock class cars that are daily drivers?
Old 03-17-2005, 04:18 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once in a "blue moon" weekend driver.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:20 PM
James Achard
Pro

Yup...Drive it to work in the summer..
Old 03-17-2005, 04:47 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

FT daily PT track.....but would like to use race only.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Full cage w/door bars, Recaro SPGs, full race suspension, GHLs.

I do drive it on the street, but trailer to all events

Last edited by Pesky 914; 03-18-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:19 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Headers, cage, racing seats and harnesses, RSA tail, 18 inch Fikses, pagid blacks, quick release steering wheel, fire sytem and cool suit set-up. Otherwise, it's the same car as delivered. Basically a 964 RS. Great car and competitive with the RS street suspension.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I used to drive my car around town. I still could - it still has a street-legal exhaust. It would look very silly, though, with the race numbers and the decals. Also - after I bought a truck, I replaced the 944 as a 2nd car to the 911. It did come in handy when the 911 was in the shop, but since I had the truck, this was no longer an issue. I bought an open trailer when I got the truck, so I could save on insurance, etc - by taking plates off the 944.
If I didn't buy the truck and trailer (which it turns out I really can't afford anyway), I would still be driving the 944 around town when necessary, and to/from the track.
Also, if I didn't have another Porsche, it would have been tough for me to give up Porsche street driving.
I think that those two factors will have alot to do with the outcome of a poll like this - if there was a good response -
- do you own a truck and trailer?
- does your enjoyment of street-driving your track car preclude you from turning in your plates?

or - maybe another choice on the poll: "No, but I could if I wanted to"
Old 03-18-2005, 09:59 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine is (or will be once the repairs are complete) street legal. I even have it insured and will get tags for it. I agree that i would feel silly driving around with no mufflers and numbers and graphics on it, but I could if I wanted to. I am sure I will do the occasional blast around town because i have no other Porsche. Right now I am jonesing sooooo bad, I can hardly stand it. Can't wait til the Mid Ohio DE in mid April. It can't come soon enough. Even though I know I can't afford it right now, I find myself cruising the ads.... I think I'm a junkie
Old 03-18-2005, 10:28 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last car was a dual use car, but entirely non-competitive in F class, and never races for that reason.

The current car is a dedicated race appliance. Not registered, and probably not practical as a street car. This sucks when it comes to driving a few miles to a friend's shop or or a club tech inspection, etc.

It would certainly draw the wrong kind of attention running around with numbers and obvious race prep features. It might blend in with traffic if I added a few Mugen and Type R stickers?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:43 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Graphics and exhaust are the set backs for sure. Had to get really cozy with a lettering shop so I can afford several applications. Not to hip on magnetic. The exhaust gets swapped for track too. Not hard just the final pipe swapped for another with race muffler. Cheaper than a trailer right now.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

87 944S with full cage, suspension, big reds, numbers, contigency stickers, tow hooks, seats, harnesses - you name it.

But, it is insured, inspected, emissioned (still has stock exhaust/cat) and is 100% street legal with the exception of not having a front license plate mounted, stickers on the windshield, and generally worn down Toyos. Still drive it to work or around town occasionally between track events to keep all of the seals lubricated abd the battery charged.

I agree with Tony that the type R stickers might help, but have received zero attention from the northern virginia police. Most of the comments I get are from the young ricers at stop lights who ask me "What'll it do in the 1/4", or "what strip do I run it at" or "do you run nitrous?"

I keep the plates on it specifically to drive it to the mechanic if needed, or to take to the tire shop to have my tires flipped. Plus, it embarrasses my wife ;-)
Old 03-18-2005, 01:02 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove my race car to the races for several years, and it is still registered, but I recently bought a truck and trailer. "Dual use" car is one that is equally bad in both roles.

Issues with driving to the track:

Breakage. Potholes big bumps etc can reqlly screw up a full boat race suspension.

Safety. Driving with a roll cage and no helmet is a really bad idea.

Comfort. Driving a race car for 6 hours in August is a real fun time.

Stress. Worry all weekend about getting home if something happens to the car.

Convenience. It is difficult to get all the stuff you need for a race weekend in a 911.

It can be done but it is a real Pain in the ***
Old 03-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JCP -

Also need to mention risk of picking up a nail in your fresh new R compound tires...
Old 03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

My car was dual-use (at least occasional street driven) until this winter when I went to a stiff suspension. I installed a bolt-in cage years ago so I could remove the front section during the winter for street driving.

That said, it is still tagged and street legal w/ cat and such. Too much hassle to trailer it everywhere for inspections and to the mechanic's shop so I'll keep it this way.

I like the sleeper look so no permanent graphics (unlike Matt and Tony who look like rolling billboards). ;-)
I hand-cut numbers and class letters out of roll vinyl and remove them at the end of the racing season.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:40 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

As of last year, I was running a "D" Class 1995 C2 993. Race suspension, cage and Recaros were enough to keep me off of the street but the scargo headers would have awaken the dead down San Jose Blvd so definately track only automobile.

I do think it was harsh though referring to these fine pieces of equipment as "race appliances". (Tongue in cheek Tony) LOL

Quick Reply: PCA Stock & Street Driven???