56.60%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

PCA Stock & Street Driven???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 04:07 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So it seems that for most folks their stock class car is really track only. Street registraion is only for the occasion convienience of taking to the shop or so forth. Seems to me that for those folkings street comfort is irrelvant as their trips consist of 5-10 runs and that as long as their "street legal" it adds some convienence.

For a few others they actually do drive the car for pleasure on the street on a few occasions and few daily drive their cars.

For me my car is GT car obviously. I consider making it street legal from time to time, but never wanted to deal with the insurance issues and cost. I know it would get boring on street in 5 min anyway. Since some events are local it would be nice to street drive to an autocross or DE, but as other pointed out a cage and no helmet does not make me comfortable.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:33 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Send a few bucks to Maine and you can get a plate for testing on the street

Very uncomfortable due to sound levels. Drove a few hours on the highway after a rebuild last summer to and from the dyno and it was not too bad with tall rain tires, except for the noise.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:59 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Send a few bucks to Maine and you can get a plate for testing on the street
Sorry for the OT, but I have to ask, Mike, have you renewed that plate for this year or did you go for Cup Car?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:41 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
Sorry for the OT, but I have to ask, Mike, have you renewed that plate for this year or did you go for Cup Car?
Yes
Old 03-20-2005, 06:14 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
Yes
So are you ordering a second plate?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Been known to drive mine to a local track or shop. Trailer most of the time.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I was the only person (I know of ) who drove to and from our Mid Ohio clubrace two years ago.
I trailer now but drive it to the gas station,car wash ,mechanics,storage,break ins ect...
Old 03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
jim3
Instructor

Since 1994 I driven my 84 944 and since 1999 my 87 944S to the track, put nos. on and switched tires. Three race tires fit in the back and 1 in the passenger seat although they occasionally hitch a ride in a friend's trailer. Car has roll bar not full cage, Butler built Nascar style seat, and Koni yellows with just 250 lb springs in front and 26.5mm torsion bars in the rear. Set fastest race lap in the Glen sprint race of the 944 NA cars. After the race I switch tires, take off nos. and drive home. On the way home Sunday morning after the Glen race a deer wiped out the RF headlamp, fender, and door! Furthest I driven is to Summit Point 560 miles each way from Boston. I ship the car to Sebring though. Drive it to work (35 mi commute into Boston occasionally) and drive it most weekends during the nice weather.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

I'm only time trialing right now, but should be racing by the end of the season and my car has been a track / street car for about a year and a half. I drive it to the track and a few days during the week... works great for me in both cases. The furthest I've driven it for an event is to Laguna Seca from LA and I've driven it to Santa Barbara and Vegas multiple times for fun. I would trailer it to events, but I don't have a parking space for a trailer ( I live in a condo). As far as comfort, my girlfriend and I don't mind the stiff ride, Sparco Evo seats or the harnesses... we've both gotten accustomed to them.

I can fit everything I need as far as tools, etc. for a weekend inside. I bring a jack, tools, cooler, chairs, jackstands, and all the other misc. stuff I need w/ out much of a problem. The biggest issue was when I blew a motor @ willow springs... I ended up w/ a $250 tow bill which didn't seem like much in light of the bill to rebuild the engine.

Sometime I feel like a bit of a weirdo w/ everyone else having their trick setups w/ trailers, motorhomes etc. and I'm just showing up looking like I'm going to work... but my budget just isn't there yet.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:07 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=analogmike]Send a few bucks to Maine and you can get a plate for testing on the street

Mike, could you explain this?

Charlie

Quick Reply: PCA Stock & Street Driven???