Sponsored by:

Stupid Q: How to tie down car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point about tongue weight and 911s. Many need to back on to get the proper 10-12% of total weight on the tongue. With a Trailex, you can relocate the axles for proper balance of a rear engined car.(not for a 1-time tow, of course).
Old 03-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Yup, this is a one time deal for now. But, I feel myslef inexorably sliiping and sliding down that slippery slope eventually ending up with a tow vehicle/trailer/track car combo. I was going for a practice run for that inevitable eventuality.

I've already saved this thread and the links to my HD. Next I'll just bug the other track junkies at the next DE and help load and unload some cars. I'll probably do a practice run with a trailer to go nowhere in particular so there's no rush and no pressure.

Thanks, all!!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Yup, this is a one time deal for now. But, I feel myslef inexorably sliiping and sliding down that slippery slope eventually ending up with a tow vehicle/trailer/track car combo. I was going for a practice run for that inevitable eventuality.

I've already saved this thread and the links to my HD. Next I'll just bug the other track junkies at the next DE and help load and unload some cars. I'll probably do a practice run with a trailer to go nowhere in particular so there's no rush and no pressure.

Thanks, all!!
Perfect!
Old 03-04-2005, 04:04 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I have two trailer towing stories. First, I was towing with my Expedition down the hill from Watkins Glen into the Hamlet. No brake controller for the trailer. Well, I sailed right through the intersection against the light in a cloud of white smoke from the truck's brakes. Lesson #1, do not trailer a car without operable trailer brakes.

Second, on my way back to Ohio from Houston with my new pride and joy on the trailer behind me, we were cruising into Jackson Mississippi at about 70 mph in the left hand lane when we went through a dip in the road. I immediately felt something was wrong. Look back and the trailer is not where it is supposed to be. I hit the brakes and it slams into the back of the Expedition and the tongue cuts down the left rear tire. After I got all the way over to the right side berm and cleaned myself up I found I forgot the kotter key for the receiver pin. It was laying on the floor inside the rear gate. The The ball et al pulled right out and was laying 100 yards back up the road. ("Idiot!" I say in my best Napaoleon Dynamite impression). Lesson #2, check and recheck all of your connections and then have someone else check them too.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great set(s) of info here. If you do end up towing, don't go alone. Make sure everything on the truck/trailer works days before you are due to leave. Practice loading/unloading. Check that everything still works on the trailer. CHECK YOUR LOAD! (it should be on every tow vehicle dashboard). We used double D-ring loops over the banana arms and thru the front A-arms, then ratchet straps attached to STRONG trailer mounts. They (the ratchet straps) were also cris-crossed (left banana to right part of trailer, etc). CHECK YOUR LOAD! Stop at 1/2 hour and again 1 hour later and CHECK YOUR LOAD! Tighter everything is much better than just OK. Do sweat the small stuff.
BTW, you haven't had a real thrill until a trailer wheel/tire assembly passes you on the downhill into Watkins.
john

Quick Reply: Stupid Q: How to tie down car?