Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi OT: Please tell Speed what you think!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005 | 11:21 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I got home from the office I turned the TV onto Speed and there was some sort of fashion show. I actually had to make sure I was on the correct channel. I then noticed that they were modelling NASCAR jackets!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

In my mind NASCAR is separate from auto racing. I know that at its core it is auto racing, but most of its fans are not auto racing fans. Likewise, most auto racing fans aren't big NASCAR fans. In my opinion, it is what Vince McMahon tried to do to football with the XFL. They have maximized the casual entertainment value and the development of the NASCAR culture. People are hooked on this like some people are hooked on Survivor or the Apprentice. It has nothing to do with auto racing.

I would venture to guess that 2/3 of all NASCAR fans couldn't tell you what "loose" or "tight" really mean or how they adjust for it. They just know that Dale was "tight" coming out of turn three so he wasn't able to "bump draft". Yeeehaaa! But I'm not knocking that. Their fans love that. It gets their blood boiling and I am happy for them.

I think that Fox bought Speedvision for two reasons. First, it was a recognized name, although they ended up ditching it. Second, and most important, was that they eliminated even the smallest trace of competition for an all NASCAR station. They didn't want to lose the NASCAR fans that are also auto racing fans if ALMS was put up against a Craftsman Truck race. They also feel that they can tap into a more sophisticated wealthy crowd as is evidenced by their pursuit of sports car racing in Grand-Am/Rolex. NASCAR is run like the NFL whereas all other auto racing is run like amateur women's softball. One is strictly business...the other is strictly hobby. One makes money...one costs money. One has a TV station...the other goes head to head with Carlton Sheets commercials.
Old 03-02-2005 | 12:49 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's face it...except for those that truly appreciate the nuances of road racing, it is boring to watch on TV.

NASCAR has a broad fan base because (1) it has rivalries among car manufacturers and drivers and (2) NASCAR has worked very hard to make each race exciting and the race series suspenseful. It is also very American - which in these times of Nationalism, seems to be an important quality.

Due to poor management, road racing has none of those qualities. No Porsche versus Ferrari, no Tony Stewart versus Dale Jr. , no wins pulled out in the final lap and no championships that come down to the wire. If the France family can imbue road racing with these features, I'll support it all the way - it's the only chance it will ever receive more attention and media coverage.
Old 03-02-2005 | 05:36 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Did you realize the France family owns Grand Am?

Yes... I made this statement, see page 3 this thread.
Old 03-02-2005 | 08:52 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

you mean H*D*TV, not Home & Garden Television
Actually, I meant what I said. I find it much more interesting to watch HGTV and find ideas for yard and home improvement. For the garage - Install sink, overhead lights, drywall, remote junction box, floor coverings... Lots of useful information. I have the TV in the garage and the time that it is on NASCAR TV is less and less - Have it on non-NASCAR-Speed, HBO, HGTV, news, or DVD player. If viewing time were checked Speed has progressively moved down my Nielson Ratings. Unfortunately, I am not one their poll.
Old 03-02-2005 | 09:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Speed sucks. They still have (most of the) Formula 1 races, when they cancel that, I'm done with them.

I agree with Max, most Nascar fans don't really know much about car racing, it's just sort of a big party. My neigbor is a Nascar fan and his favourite drive is Sterling Marlin, why? Because his car's sponsor is Coors Light (his favourite beer)... I don't think he is unique with his driver choise either.

I realize NASCAR is big here in States but please, all these "fashion shows", bobsled etc. is just too much. I'm sure most of the NASCAR fand would rather watch i.e. WRC than bobsled...

Well, there's still some hope, I'm going to Homestead this Saturday to watch Rolex series race and then later that evening, FIRST RACE OF THE F1 SEASON!
Old 03-02-2005 | 09:18 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I have no clue where they are going with bobsledding. It is interesting for a few moments and I would love to do it, but I can't imagine anybody outside of those that actually sled enjoying this. I would think their ratings would higher with NASCAR race repeats.
Old 03-02-2005 | 09:21 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

There is still useful information on Speed that is not NASCAR or Road Racing. I believe that many of the fans are car guys and would watch more shows like Two Guys garage, Car Crazy, some other 'how to' series... I also realize that NASCAR is the big money maker for them, but I don't really think that the average car guy, NASCAR fan, is all that interested in seeing 12 reruns of the NASCAR talking heads. Early on sports car racing at least in this country seemed to be shaped by the diletante set, and open sponsorship was viewed with disdain. As late as the 60's and early 70s sponsorship was limited to little stickers. Now the whole car can be a decal. Good ole boy racing was shaped by reality -- racing is expensive, product recognition, and sponsorship dollars are important. If the NASCAR bubbas moved their experience to more road courses, I feel it would bring in more of us -- but it would probably loose the stadium set.
Old 03-02-2005 | 09:56 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing that NASCAR has, and it is what IMO has really catapulted it, is complete family appeal. It is not just the man of the house watching on Sunday afternoon. The wife and kids are as tuned in as the dad in many of these NASCAR homes. I think this is due to the fact that you don't need to have a true appreciation of racing to enjoy NASCAR.

Bringing in the casual fans is what has taken NASCAR over the top. Now how many of you guys have wives that will watch an entire F1, ALMS, Grand-am or touring car race with you and actually stay interested?

Living in Indianapolis, I have attended the 500, the Brickyard and the USGP. Here is what I see:

1. The 500 attracts primarily men but there are families scattered about. Most people are pretty avid race fans or Indianapolis residents that just love the race. (wonderful race btw, just not easy to view, go if you have never been)
2. The Brickyard is probably 2/3 families and most of the time husband, wife, and 2-3 kids. The whole gang dressed in Bud, Miller, HD, Dupont, etc. There are also many men attending but they are usually hammered.
3. The F1 race is probably 75-80% men. Most all are avid auto racing fans. There are occaisional families around, but it is rare. (this is probably unique to the US as F1's popularity overseas is like NASCAR here)

I think this is the primary difference between NASCAR now and NASCAR 15-20 years ago. You are more likely to see Smirnoff Ice ads as you are to see Skoal or Kodiak ads now. I'm guessing marketers enjoy having the whole family tuning in.

Just as a disclaimer, I did not intend this to be sexist. I know that there are many women, some on this board, that are avid racers and fans of racing. I am certain there were women attending the race without their families or their SOs, but there were certainly more men.
Old 03-02-2005 | 09:59 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
If the NASCAR bubbas moved their experience to more road courses, I feel it would bring in more of us -- but it would probably loose the stadium set.
You know, I wonder about this. Is it the ovals that are annoy me the most or is the antiquated, or at least retro, machinery they are running. I doubt they'll do a lot more road course, the cars are just too heavy to be taken seriously, although I must admit they are fun to watch wallowing all over the place.

The irony is, that while Nascar fans talk about how competive things are, the star personalities and how close the racing is, it really does comes down to this overweight, 60's design of a car. When drivers talk about the car being good they aren't kidding. Comcast offered the seven channel in-car Nascar cams complete with telemetry for the Daytona 500. It was free so I tuned in for a while. Every single driver for every lap that I watched was at 100% throttle the entire way around the track. Not even the slightest lift. So essentially driving a Nextel Cup Car, at least at the "Worlds Greatest Race" is a 1-dimensional experience, the only thing you do is steer. Some how I find the whole thing, while interesting, unsatisfying.
Old 03-02-2005 | 10:06 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macnewma
Now how many of you guys have wives that will watch an entire F1, ALMS, Grand-am or touring car race with you and actually stay interested?
I do. My wife, who was never exposed to any racing, has never been into cars, won't AX let alone do a DE, has become an avid F1 and WRC fan. She enjoys watching, recognizes that the skill level is beyond all mortal comprehension and enjoys the strategy as well. She'll even watch ALMS, DTM etc now thanks to Johnny Herbert, JJ Lehto and the other ex-F1 drivers who compete in those series.
Old 03-02-2005 | 10:21 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I must admit they are fun to watch wallowing all over the place.
Have you ever been on the track with one of these beasts? They are fast and at 3400 pounds they are not that much heavier then a Boxster or a 996. Granted the suspension is almost pre-historic; but, the road course version is optimized for handling and they are not afraid to lean on each other while running high slip angles through twisties. I associate wallowing with old Buicks and other boulevard cruisers, not with heavy go-karts. This makes them appear to handle more like early sports cars with bias ply racing tires.
Old 03-02-2005 | 04:17 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lets face it Road Racing is a participant sport not a spectator sport. And it is growing at the grassroots as never before. It is really the exciting undiscovered racing story of the decade. When you are watching your husband or brother or best friend racing... that is as exciting as it can get.

Road Racers will watch on weekends they are not at the track to get thier fix.... but there aren;t enough road racers in America to fill one grandstand at the Glen.

NASCAR is brilliant business built around racing. The marketing guy in me finds the business aspects of NASCAR more exciting than the racer guy in me finds the racing.... but after my eyes glaze over watching the umpteenth uncompetitive F1 race as I wait for the paint to dry in the bathroom I must admit that at least NASCAR HAS racing.
Old 03-02-2005 | 04:31 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJay
I do. My wife, who was never exposed to any racing, has never been into cars, won't AX let alone do a DE, has become an avid F1 and WRC fan. She enjoys watching, recognizes that the skill level is beyond all mortal comprehension and enjoys the strategy as well. She'll even watch ALMS, DTM etc now thanks to Johnny Herbert, JJ Lehto and the other ex-F1 drivers who compete in those series.
Well, there is always an exception to the rule.

Good for you though. How did you luck out with a cool wife and an awesome set of Porsches?
Old 03-02-2005 | 04:42 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I happened to watch SPEED this morning, and caught the "24/7" show that features behind the scenes looks at the past week in Nascar, and it seems that they're coming up to (if they haven't already run) a road course in Mexico.

One of the young "super-stars", can't remember his name (car #32) was out practicing for the road race, and I **** you not, his quote was something like "I've never done this road racing thing before... I've gotta go learn how to shift and stuff".

During the testing, he seemed to be all over the test track, and ended up wiping out and bashing in the rear quarter panel of the car.

I guess I just find it amazing how different the racing is between Nascar and road, where you can excel at one without even knowing how to shift.

I wonder how well a "road" guy would do in Nascar?
Old 03-02-2005 | 04:51 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Not well so far. Boris Said is running the #36 car in Nextel series. He has done a few of the races but never faired all that well but keep your eyes on him I am sure there is a curve to adjust to, like 200 mph 3 wide!

Quick Reply: Semi OT: Please tell Speed what you think!