Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944-Spec running as a PCA class in one of the west coast club races?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 944-Spec running as a PCA class in one of the west coast club races?

Did I see a post a couple of weeks ago saying that there would be a 944-Spec class as one of the classes for a PCA club race (on the west coast, I think)?

If so, does anyone know how that would work? Would they be running with the H and I cars as a run group, or as part of the GT-4 field with some of the other GT classes?

Thanks!

Matt
Old 02-24-2005, 04:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well,
I just got a sneak peak at the Entry list for the PCA Club Race at Phoenix International Raceway.

The 944-spec group is the largest single group (8 cars) and comprises the entire GT4S class.

So in a way 944-spec has it's own class. and is running in the same run group as H, I, G, F, E.

Speeds of 944-spec cars runs in the H, G, F range depending on driver speeds. The top 944-spec cannot stay with the top F cars, but possibly with top G cars.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Ahh....got it. PCA hasn't recognized you guys as an "official" class,then? You're just running as a "race within a race"?

I run 944 Cup on the east coast, and we're trying to get PCA Potomac or other club to let us run with the other 944's as most of the 944 cup cars have their interiors out.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:25 PM
M758
Race Director

I would love it if PCA would allow stock mods + interior revmoval for 10% weight reduction to be a one or two class bump.

That would move I or H cars to H, G or F and there by keep us reasonably on pace. Unfortunally we are rolling chicanes in GT4S. We got lucky at this event since we are in the slower run group and therefore will fit nicely. Not too fast nor too slow. Make us run with GTC, and other GT cars and forget about it.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

We have the same problem...we were told run in GT-4 and be happy that we let you in at all...lol I know that Dave Deracola (944 Cup Director) has been working with PCA national to try to get the class recognized, so we were hoping that you guys had a breakthrough with the local regions out west.

I agree with you 100% on the interior removal plus weight and/or class penalty. Guaranteed that you'd get another 10-15 cars minimum at every club race, and not just 944's.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
M758
Race Director

Hmm,
So maybe this is the year to push PCA National for an across the board rule change.

All stock class cars may recduce weight by 10% by means of interior and ancillary part removal for a 1 or 2 class bump. I know there are a number of folks that would love to do that especially in older cars just for a bit more speed.

I don't think they will do it for just the 944's, but maybe if we show it will help all classes and is easily managable, enforceable and won't upset the current balance in the classes...

I have spread sheet I made up based on power to weight for all the car in each class and figured how a 10% weight reduction(from stock classed weight) would impact that car in the next higher class. Seemed like 95% of cars would fit in with current power to weight in each of those classes so limited chance of creating an overdog.

So a 10% reduction on a 2779 lbs 944 would mean a race weight of 2500 lbs. I think my car is 2450 or so with 40 lbs of ballast so making 2500 with no driver should not be that hard. However getting it to 2779 aint going to happen and if it does the car will handle like crap since it is not set-up for that much weight.

Quick Reply: 944-Spec running as a PCA class in one of the west coast club races?