Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

home delv. of race fuel (55 gal drums)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Default home delv. of race fuel (55 gal drums)

Before I get my name on the Darwin Award list, I thought I would ask a few questions. Due to the stupid cost of on track side race fuel, I am thinking I could buy 55 gal drums of 100-104 octane gas and have it delv to my home. Fill the car with 18 gals, Jugs with another 25 and have a little left over for when the car gets back from the track or divide the leftovers up with local race buddies. Only place to store the drums before it gets into the jugs or car is my attached garage. I live downtown Chicago so I cant put it out back... Do the drums seal back up once open in a safe enough manner (I know they have a steel screw cap but just want to make sure it could stand with 10 or so gal. in the drum for a couple of weeks. I have a open trailer so I cant strap a drum down and take it with, and from what I understand, transport in a enclosed trailer in not DOT legal. My guess is most tracks wont let you take delv. of fuel at the track. Anyone else have this idea of saving a couple of hunderd buck a weekend?
Any ideas of the best way to do this is appreciated!!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:50 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked into this here in California and was told of a local company that delivers 50 Ga drums. Apparently the DOT transport issue is moot if your drum is under 55 Ga. In your case it may not matter with the open trailer. In the end I didn't think the savings was great enough to justify the extra hassle and danger of carrying extra fuel. IIRC the savings was 2 dollars or so per Ga.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: home delv. of race fuel (55 gal drums)