Sponsored by:

trailer help, maybe not what you're thinking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 02:38 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer help, maybe not what you're thinking

looking for trailers for my go kart operation. thinking something like a 12ft, maybe 16ft, but nothing that can't be towed by a 4runner or similar SUV. must be enclosed with ramp. know any shops? shops in georgia?

how big must a trailer be to fit a car? if i junk the karting operation in favor of specmiata next year i'd like to use the same trailer. hopefully still under the 5000lb MAX towing capacity...

thoughts?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

12 ft won't be long enough for a car. The Miata is 13' long according to what I saw on the web. So get a 14' car trailer. The steel trailer will be ok for a Miata (figure 1350 lb trailer weight, 2300lb car weight, 3650 lbs total) (http://www.econotrailer.com/about.html).

Also, trailers hold their value suprisingly well, so if you aren't sure you are getting a spec Miata, just try to get a good deal on a used trailer for the carts, then sell it if your needs change later.

Keep in mind that a car trailer will be dual axle and for the carts you only need a single axle. Why does that matter? If I tow my dual axle from Philly to NYC and back, I pay about $100 in tolls, since they charge by the axle!
Old 02-08-2005, 03:08 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

thanks for the advice!

one thing though, i need an enclosed trailer.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would go with a 16' enclosed aluminum, just so you have room to walk around the car (and not crawl over your car and everything else).
I had a similar problem (my son drives karts), and ended up with a 20' aluminum enclosed Cargopro:
http://www.cargoprotrailers.com/car_haulers.asp
2500# with a fully finished interior/walls/diamondplate floor. The 16' is 2000#, so you would have 3000# for a car.
All aluminum definitely has higher resale value than a steel trailer.
Another thing to consider is that a car hauler will be wider than a std enclosed cargo trailer, so tow mirrors/extentions are recommended.
A V nose will definitely help with reducing drag, especially with a smaller tow vehicle.
Another nice to have is an escape door on the driver side of the trailer; makes exiting the car much easier.
Good luck.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i couldn't find any info on pricing on the website. ballpark what does a trailer like that run? do you think its better to buy a used one or is it not worth it?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

About $8600 (just called my local trailer company where I bought mine), with wood floor/ramp and wood walls.
From there, add your options (diamondplate floor/ramp, cabinets, lights, walls, escape door, etc).

Here are a couple of pics of mine:
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=18142
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=18140
Old 02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

At that price, I'd seriously consider getting 2 trailers. You could get a new small enclosed for $4k or so for karting, then later buy a open steel trailer for $1200 for the car.

You can't have too many trailers.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If you do consider a small enclosed karting trailer, I believe you have to get a 10' before you can stand up inside (76" or so); the smaller ones are too low for you to stand up in.
http://www.cargoprotrailers.com/moto...p?ProductID=73
You can also decide between 6.5' wide and 8.5' wide.

All depends on if you use it strictly for transport or if you work on your kart inside or having a place to go when it rains.

IIRC, the price is pretty much proportional to the length, so a 10' would be 10/16 * 8500, so around ~$5K or so?

As far as having too many trailers, if you have the room, why not?

Quick Reply: trailer help, maybe not what you're thinking