Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are remote reservoir shocks PCA "prepared" legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
SJN901
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are remote reservoir shocks PCA "prepared" legal?

I'm running a "prepared" 911 in PCA racing, and I am contemplating the installation of Fox remote reservoir shocks. The manufacurer represents that they are PCA legal for "prepared" class cars.

The stock class Rules provide that shocks are free "provided they are of the same type . . ." It is arguable that remote revervoir shocks are not of the same type as OEM. The prepared class Rules provide that non-stock shock housings are allowed, but it is arguable that the shock housing is the strut, not the shock itself.

Does anyone know where PCA is on this issue?
Old 02-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

They are still legal in both prepared and stock classes
Old 02-04-2005, 12:38 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SJN901
I'm running a "prepared" 911 in PCA racing, and I am contemplating the installation of Fox remote reservoir shocks. The manufacurer represents that they are PCA legal for "prepared" class cars.
Just curious as to why you choose Fox over the others available? I'm going Leda, which has the slight advantage that you can start with single adjustables and add (or I assume remove) the remote reservoir (and double adjustability)later which could be advantageous to you if the rules change.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:07 PM
James Achard
Pro

Fox were co-designed by Smart Racing and Smart Racing is selling them. There was an excellent writeup on these in Excellence.

Cheers, James
Old 02-04-2005, 09:12 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

James
They are legal. I ran penske 2 way adjustables in an E class 964 c2.I also ran an 87 carrera in E class for 10 years. The adjustable shocks are a total pain in the ***! takes to much time to get them set up ,and when you think u have em set up just right your never quite sure ,no matter how fast you go.I took meticulous notes as well.On race weekends you really had to do the test and tune day just to get them set up for the race weekend.If you did n't your weekend suffered.Since most of us don't bring a crew and race engineers,I feel they take to much time to set up and figure out,the weekends are short enough! I think the easyest and most effcient way to go is revalved bilsteins.You must also be sure your torsion bar set is correct. At Limerock in my 87 with revalved bilstiens I did a 100.003 in qualifying .With the adjustables in the 964 the best time was 100.23
Old 02-04-2005, 10:44 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur with Ron. Unless you're REALLY going to play with them, just call up Craig Watkins at Smart Racing, tell him your setup and he'll send you a set of custom valved bilsteins (or valve yours) for a very reasonable price.

Of course, if i was driving our 964cup at Sebring this weekend instead of my Dad, i would really take advantage of the shock setup we have (remote motons) b/c Sebring is quite bumpy. But he won't and will still have a ball of fun... so I guess it's all about what you goals are.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:35 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Hell, I still have the stock USA Carrera Cup bilsteins which are the same as the 964RS street set-up. Seems to have worked well so far.

Quick Reply: Are remote reservoir shocks PCA "prepared" legal?