Sponsored by:

Hotlap Vs MyChron

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 01:05 PM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotlap Vs MyChron

Hi, i a planning on getting a hotlap timer to use on the track, however I saw a GT3 this WE at STS that had this unit which is made by AIM. The cost is about $300.
Has anyone used this unit or seen it.
The link is as follows:
http://www.aim-sportline.com/
Click on AIM products for cars.
Click on Discover MyChron Light TG.

Here is a pic.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:58 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Late last year I was looking for something which replaced the 70's technology of the HotLap. I also looked at the AIM products, but ended up with an UltraLap. Here is a link to some info on it: http://www.helmetharbor.com/racing/x...ng/opening.htm
I have run it at about 4-5 DE days, and it has operated flawlessly. There was some original discussion about whether it would pick up the signal through the coated glass of the rear quarter windows, but it has never missed a lap in my use so far. I do use the small 12v gel cell to power the transmitter, which does provide extra power output.

My understanding is that the UltraLap is compatible with AIM transmitters, but it will not pick up the signal from a HotLap transmitter.

One thing to note: This product was originally designed for motorcycle use. Because of this it is very soundly built, and encased in an aluminum housing. BUT: it only has up to a 6' cord, so you don't always have the mounting flexibility you might want. Works O.K. for me with the receiver mounted on the roll bar, but I might have liked some other mounting options for both the receiver and head unit, but there is not enough cord and the cord cannot be easily lengthened.

I bought the download module with the unit, which works really well to dump all lap data onto a laptop.

Check it out. No affiliation, just a satisfied user.

Tom
Old 01-27-2005, 02:08 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slightly OT, but does anyone know if you can use a AMB transponder to trigger lap times for the AIM? Seems silly to have a transponder and have to setup the optical stuff lap trigger as well for in car data display.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:33 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Hot Lap timers have a notoriously short lifespan. I recently gave up on mine, after months of malfunctioning and missed laps. I replaced it with an Ultra-Lap, which is cheaper, and miles ahead of the Hot Lap, technologically. You can learn about it here.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:22 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

why not just go with a mychron 3 or similar
Old 01-27-2005, 03:48 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Because it costs 5 times to 10 times as much.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

My Hotlap timer quit working and we bought one of the Ultra-Lap timers, I haven't gotten a chance to use it on the track yet but it is made from machined Al instead of plastic and looks solid, it is also way smaller and has more features, it also costs about the same or less. Check them out.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 PM
joeblow
Advanced

AIM is great stuff! I have used the basic logger to the full EVO/DASH combos! They are far ahead of Hotlap and unless you are comparing them to comperable units such as Stack or Motec I think the comparison is impossible with the brands and products mentioned.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:14 PM
touf
Pro

I have just ordered The AIM unit.
Will let u know after next track event.
Thx for the feedback.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I'm W/ RJay....you'd think with the $300 we spent on our transponders that we could use them for in car displays as well.....any electrical engineers out there want to take the task on for us???
Old 01-28-2005, 04:11 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
Slightly OT, but does anyone know if you can use a AMB transponder to trigger lap times for the AIM? Seems silly to have a transponder and have to setup the optical stuff lap trigger as well for in car data display.
Won't work. Essentially with the AMB system the in-car transponder is the transmitter portion. The reciever is the loop in the ground. So even if the signals were compatable (which they are not) you would have the situation of an in-car transmitter sending to an in-car receiver. That approach could not tell when you cross S/F.

AMB systems are now as the heart of transmitting lap data via RF at the track. Perhaps they might be able to build an in-car receiver that would get that lap time. BUT - the event you are running would have to be using the AMB system - not likely at DE's - only at races.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mark....that makes sense.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Won't work. Essentially with the AMB system the in-car transponder is the transmitter portion. The reciever is the loop in the ground. So even if the signals were compatable (which they are not) you would have the situation of an in-car transmitter sending to an in-car receiver. That approach could not tell when you cross S/F.

AMB systems are now as the heart of transmitting lap data via RF at the track. Perhaps they might be able to build an in-car receiver that would get that lap time. BUT - the event you are running would have to be using the AMB system - not likely at DE's - only at races.
...sigh... sadly that makes too much sense.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:13 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I use the Aim unit as part of my MXL system. It does not work great (just OK) on the AA batteries, but if you use the otional 12v, it works great. Normally, I don't have to set up my own beacon as my pickup uses other peoples beacons already at the track.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Ultra Lap timers

FYI- I distrubute the Ultra Lap timers. These things sell like hot cakes. I am a racer also. I sell most of them at the track. Take a look at the website for more info. You can get the COMPLETE kit with download cable for under $260- Try that with the AIM device
www.ultralaptimers.com

Thanks,
Chad Plavan
www.plavanracing.com

Last edited by Plavan; 02-16-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Hotlap Vs MyChron