Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you use reference points?
As much as possible (turn-in and brake)
55.93%
Only for brake
13.56%
Only for brake where marked by track
3.39%
I drive cone to cone
1.69%
Other
25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use reference points?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I always use reference points. Everything I can get when ever I can get it. I am never "fixed" to them, but I use them to generate a metal reference picture of where I want to be when at the point on the track. Reciently I had some difficulty with turn 2 at PIR. This is corner that is wide and requires off track referene points. At some point they painted over a sign on the oval wall that I used to line-up the for turn in. I struggled a bit untill I trained myself to use other markers. Now I use 3-4 other items to help keep me aligned. I never fixate on these markers, but I do try keep them located properly in the mental picture of that corner.

I also use reference points to determine exit speed as well.

Some say there is not place in racing for reference points. I scoff at that. Lets say you need to chase down a competitor? How are you going to do it? Well lay down a series of very fast laps over and over again. These more consitant the laps the greater chance you pickup a few tenths each lap and close that 4-5 sec gap before you know it. You also may in front of a competitor and need to run a few hard laps to open a gap too. Racing is not just about running side by side. For me running 10 laps 0.4 sec off my personall best all running with in 0.5 of second is key to any race and if I have done that it will often lead to good results.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, the whole track is a "reference point" use any tool you can to become a more consistent driver.

As far as vision, think of a big league pitcher.... if he looks at a spot, he can hit it with a baseball within inches... that is pure "ocular technique"... millions of repititions matching body control and visual image.... but cover the target and he can't hit a barn..... I alway think of the apex as the strike zone and "throw" the car at it.... same process different 'ball"

Ever go into your living room wthen the wife moved a chair, or your best friend shaves his mustache? You immediately sense something is different but it takes you a while to figure it out... this shows how powerfuly human beings respond to visual images and matching their mental picture with reality.... deltas stick out a mile.... people evolved recognizing human faces... human beings probably have the most developed image recognition processing capacity (as opposed to acute eyesight) of any species....this is a physiological fact.

I always tell people, it is like you have a film in your head of what the "perfect line" looks like, and in each turn, you compare what you are seing to that film.... when they match up perfectly, you are there.... it is very instinctive, and comes from hours and hours and hours of track time.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:35 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
.... it is very instinctive, and comes from hours and hours and hours of track time.

or hrs and hrs of watching in car video!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:55 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keith Code's 'Twist of the Wrist' series was the bible of my bike racing youth, and a huge eye opener (low pun I know) to the incredible importance of vision skills. I have around 100 DE's/track days under my belt since returning to the tracks as a 4 wheeler (after a 20 year break) and at none of them has discussed vision, or vision technique, much beyond saying 'look way ahead' and 'the car follows your eyes'. I would dearly love to find an instructor team that go into vision skills to the extent that Kieth Code did, as many the secrets of speed lie there.

Quick Reply: Do you use reference points?