Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The long road to Sebring. Ready to race

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005 | 03:59 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Give up running? Are yoou nuts? I was training at 07:20 pace pre crash now I have worked like a dog to get to 08:45 training pace. Tough after 3+ months on crutches. running 25 miles or so a week. Hope to be back to low 7's in 6 weeks or so. Biking is dangerous. I raced M/C enduros for 6 years and never got hurt. Training ride during bike race season I shattered my knee,broke my wrist (don't recommend that) broke my jaw bone, 3 ribs and spokes sticking out of my lower leg all in one silly incident.

See you at Sebring Mac!
Old 01-19-2005 | 04:07 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bill walczak
Biking is dangerous. I raced M/C enduros for 6 years and never got hurt. Training ride during bike race season I shattered my knee,broke my wrist (don't recommend that) broke my jaw bone, 3 ribs and spokes sticking out of my lower leg all in one silly incident.

See you at Sebring Mac!
Whoa; I guess then that bike racing is more dangerous than Club Racing. Go figure...

I'll take you on running at Sebring. I can still hit the seven's even though I haven't run in a few months. One more sprint won't use up the rest of my cartilage.
Old 01-19-2005 | 05:35 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was at that race and saw the car. It is amazing what can be done by real pros witht the right equipment. Doubt I'll be at CMP this March but may do the fall race there. Hope to see you and Mac then.
Old 01-19-2005 | 06:03 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

John H

From the look of your avitar, you have experienced what most of us already have. I submit for your viewing:

This happened to me at Road Atlanta on a wet track, courtesy of a wet paint stripe on the outside of turn 5.

BTW, there won't be a March CMP race this year. November though is on the schedule
Old 01-19-2005 | 07:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Glad to see that you and your car are back together, Bill. My offer still stands. Good luck at Sebring.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-20-2005 | 09:50 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been told, "it's not a matter of if, but when."
Old 01-20-2005 | 10:33 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

ho-lee-**** man. that was a feirce crash. glad 2 here that you're recovering tho.

as for the car, what kind of repair costs did u incure as a result (i'm sure its probably best not to think about it). How did they fix the frame damage that probably resulted from te crash? does the car handle just like it did before?
Old 01-20-2005 | 10:54 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
ho-lee-**** man. that was a feirce crash. glad 2 here that you're recovering tho.

as for the car, what kind of repair costs did u incure as a result (i'm sure its probably best not to think about it). How did they fix the frame damage that probably resulted from te crash? does the car handle just like it did before?

GTP took everthing off the front of the car leaving only the tub. Next they set it up on the frame machine and starting tweeking. The front was destroyed but the rest of the car was saved by the cage I would guess. The frame was certainly "out" but not by much. Next they got a full front clip from the drivers seat area forward and drilled out all the welds that are in the factory seam about 12" forward of the drivers seat. They cut off the bent up clip by drilling out the factory seam. Then set up and adjusted the new front clip untill satisfied and reattached as it left the factory. Amazing stuff to me. The car will be stiffer due to to some additional bracing and much lighter as lots of the street car stuff was left off. No reason the car should not be as good or better than before. Cost? Your kidding right? It will take 3 months to add up all the time cards. By then I will have won several races and have lots of prize money.

Last edited by Dbltime; 01-20-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2005 | 11:16 AM
M758
Race Director

. By then I will have won several races done and have lots of prize money.

Now that is funny!

Bill Good luck on your future races and may the bill come in at something you can manage!

PS.... Be SAFE
Old 01-20-2005 | 11:31 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fortunately, or unfortunately, GTP has peformed this surgery before on other 993 race cars, so Bill wasn't a guinea pig. I can barely cut a straight line in a piece of wood, I marvel how they can join two cars together and when it's all said and done, it's very hard to trace it.
Old 01-20-2005 | 12:46 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Manny,

Your Dakar Rally vehicle came out nice as well.
Old 01-20-2005 | 12:53 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

By then I will have won several races and have lots of prize money.
haha! nice man. good luck. what series do u compete in?
Old 01-20-2005 | 01:07 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
haha! nice man. good luck. what series do u compete in?
For the big bucks I will bolt on the Cayenne pick up body and race the Craftsman Truck Series.

Then enjoy the winnings racing with PCA & NASA. There are many pro teams that would love for me to crash I mean drive their cars but PCA & NASA is all the excitement I can handle.
Old 01-20-2005 | 02:22 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill;

You are resilient, if nothing else. Absolute Best of Luck from here on out. I never found you "at home" in your pits at the Glen last year. In fact the closest I got was when your avatar photo was taken, as the car that I tend (in my avatar) was only a couple down the way from you. I will definitely find you at Sebring. Since you've got a big bill coming due, the beer is on me!

Anyone else who is there, look for the car in my avatar and stop by for a beer!
Old 01-20-2005 | 03:33 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Roger that John!

Quick Reply: The long road to Sebring. Ready to race