Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please kill me now.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:23 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ecclestone's world is crumbling around him. He has lost control of his holding company and the banks are now running things. To make matters worse for him, the big manufacturer teams are about to split off in a rival series. He is making a last ditch effort to keep them around, but it doesn't seem likely they will stay. Looks like the USAC / Penske CART fight all over again. It's easy to follow the money trail. Ecclestone has been busy buying lavish estates worth upwards of 150 mill , and amasing a 3.9 billion dollar fortune off F1 revenues. That kind of high profile behavior tends to create a lot of jealousy in the team ranks. It's a common theme that has played out numerous times before. F1 may have just hit its zenith.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Congratulations George. My wife was the Director of Fund raising for Team in Training for the Philadelphia chapter for 4 years, and was a 3 time marathon participant as well. I myself rode in 3 of TNTs century rides. It is a worthy cause, and you have every right to feel proud of your accomplishment!
Thanks Larry! It's all very motivating. We had a speaker last year who has a T-shirt that says "If you think running a marathon is hard, try chemotherapy." When you think of it in those terms, it's not hard to be touched and stay motivated.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by James Achard
What I don't understand is that more US funds are going into F1( more US companies are sponsoring F1 teams, Bud, Sun, Hp to name a few) and yet our coverage gets worse. What is Ecclestone up to? I guess our money is not good enough for him.

Cheers, James
What really gripes me is that for all the US money in F1 there is zero push from the US companies to get any teams to even test a US driver. Townsend Bell ran F3000 and put in some very credible drivers in 03. It's ironic that it is taking a Swiss company to work hard to put an American in F1 again.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:33 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
What really gripes me is that for all the US money in F1 there is zero push from the US companies to get any teams to even test a US driver. Townsend Bell ran F3000 and put in some very credible drivers in 03. It's ironic that it is taking a Swiss company to work hard to put an American in F1 again.
US Companies that advertise in F1 are doing so to capture business outside the US. Given world opinion these days, I'd say that theres little incentive to insist on a US driver. The push for an American driver is coming from European companies who assume, and judging by your angst, rightly so, want to increase interest in F1 in the US and figure a US driver would do that. I must admit I was surprised that Allmendinger didn't go to Europe, but hell, its not like they're all American drvers in Cart or the IRL.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:21 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

What ever happen to the RedBull program, is it dead?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by David Ray
What ever happen to the RedBull program, is it dead?
No! It's alive and well. It has some real promise of bearing fruit. There are at least a couple of Americans in Europe right now as part of the Red Bull program. They just sent a 13 year old karter to Italy to race there as they feel it has the best karting competition (it's where Schumacher and at least one other F1 driver really started to make a name for themselves).

Red Bull's support of racing in general and their support of this program directly resulted in my drinking Red Bull. Tried it the first time after a long hard day at the track and haven't looked back (although it was a bit of a developed taste).
Old 01-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

As Geo mentions, the program is alive & well. Two of its drivers, Scott Speed & Colin Fleming, did very well in Formula Renault last year. Speed won the championship and I think Colin came in either 2nd or 3rd.

Quick Reply: Please kill me now.