Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please kill me now.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 10:58 AM
P.Po
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys want to see the british coverage, you are all welcome to come over to my house in Toronto, Canada and watch it. My wife will cook breakfast.

cheers,
Patrick Parato
Old 01-14-2005, 11:22 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P.Po
If you guys want to see the british coverage, you are all welcome to come over to my house in Toronto, Canada and watch it. My wife will cook breakfast.

cheers,
Patrick Parato

I'm there! She's a great cook. Is 6:30am too early? I need a few coffee before the race starts
Old 01-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Barring his substance addiction issues after his marriage went down the tube and his daughter contracted that nasty desease...
So, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play ?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
So, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play ?
Pretty good, but the effects were too real.

Yeah, I know, I thought about that as I wrote, but he was contrite about the whole thing and has since gotten his life back together (except his broken marriage). I genuinely feel for Little Al. He seems to be a truly nice guy and doesn't fit the rest of the Unser mold except for the failed marriage and it's not like that's a rare thing these days.

It's too bad his career ended the way it did (but admittedly, he did that to himself).
Old 01-14-2005, 02:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Give me back my belt and shoelaces.....I'm OK:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/14712/
Old 01-14-2005, 03:03 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Since w're off-topic and reminiscing, CART was (notice the past tense) the best open wheel racing series in history.

We used to go to the Nazereth race... it was great. Nobody went there so it was Very low key. You could drive right up on qualifying day, park about ten spaces away from the entrance, and wonder aournd the paddock and even get pit passes!!!!!!! It was really like a PCA club race.

THe drivers would hang out beside their trailers and BS with people. I remember my wife and I chatting with Bobby Rahal for about ten minutes, and Mario Andretti coming out and telling war stories to about ten of us for twenty minutes and signing autographs.

My wife was chatting with Ari Leyandyk (or howver you spell it) for a while on Saturday. He was just sitting in the paddock on a chair.... later she was standing in line while he autographed t-shirts.... he saw her and wived her to the front of the line and chatted for about half a minute while about 25 other women just stared wondering who the hell she was..... how cool is that?

Then on Sunday watch guys drive around a glorified skid pad at 200+mph..... I remember watching Nigel Mansell and Paul Tracy racing side by side for lap after lap, cutting throught backmarkers inches away from each other.... this on a track about three car-lengths wide on its best day.

How about some names.... Mario and Michael A, Emerson Fittipaldi, Nigel Mansell, Paul Tracey, Bobby Rahal, Al Unser jr, just for starters.... maybe more World Champions than you see in F! today...

The cars went by so fast that if you didn't turn your head, you couldn;t even tell what color they were. There was more flat out racing in one lap than you would see in a whole season of F1.

We also go the the Montreal GP .... no comparison.... but it is a good excuse to go to Montreal
Old 01-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

In the late 80s & mid-90s, CART was fabulous and gave F1 a good run for the money, IMO. The quality of the field was very good, and the crowds & tv ratings were fairly good, as well. I think those days are long gone due to the split.

Back to the topic: Does anyone know when CBS will announce their broadcast team for these 4 races? I'll double check with the guys on Atlas, too.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911
George,

Yes, I meant your first race this year. Good luck w/ the enduro (marathon! - whoa. that's 26 miles further than I can run at the moment!) and let us know how it turned out.

Rich
Rich, thanks for asking.

We finished in 5:58:57 on the gun and 5:52:37 on the chip. They use a little chip transponder to track everyone and it took 6 minutes to get the the starting line after the gun.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:12 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I have to agree, CART was great. What a mess now ... if at all.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:48 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I am trying to remember what happened to CART. When was it that the original split into 2 groups occured, with one taking Mich. 500 and the other the Indy 500 ? I remember back in the 70's as a kid, the Indy 500 was a spectacular event. The Test days, Qualifying, and race build up was incredible and the network coverage was fought over fiercely like football. It had drivers like Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, Gordon Johncock, and Johnny Rutherford. What was the approximate timeline of events ?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Geo,

Congrats on finishing. That is an accomplishment in itself! Great job.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Geo
Race Director

Thanks Rich. I decided to do one just over a year ago when my wife walked in her first, but I told her I wanted to run. I always thought marathoners were crazy (and sometimes still do ), but I wanted to do this. I'd show a photo of me of the day I decided to do a marathon, but it's too embarassing I was so pudgy and fat. I'm still very much overweight, but I'm loosing all the time now. Finishing this marathon in legal time really means a lot to me. It won't be my last.

We run for the Luekemia and Lymphoma Society through their Team in Training organization, the world's largest endurance sports training organization. Once my car is done I plan to use it to raise money for the L&LS. We're currently raising money to do the Anchorange Marathon in June.

http://www.teamintraining

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Here's me and my bride with our finisher's medals.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2005, 10:33 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I found a link with the timeline for CART / IRL split events. Amazing what you can find on the internet. http://www.netaxs.com/~gg1/race/cartirl.htm

After reading all that mess, it's not hard to see why NASCAR is the most popular motorsport. If USAC and the team owners could have found a way to work together and share some power back in the late 70's , things would have been much different IMHO.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
We run for the Luekemia and Lymphoma Society through their Team in Training organization, the world's largest endurance sports training organization. <snip> Sorry for the thread hi-jack. <snip> Here's me and my bride with our finisher's medals.
Congratulations George. My wife was the Director of Fund raising for Team in Training for the Philadelphia chapter for 4 years, and was a 3 time marathon participant as well. I myself rode in 3 of TNTs century rides. It is a worthy cause, and you have every right to feel proud of your accomplishment!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:17 PM
James Achard
Pro

What I don't understand is that more US funds are going into F1( more US companies are sponsoring F1 teams, Bud, Sun, Hp to name a few) and yet our coverage gets worse. What is Ecclestone up to? I guess our money is not good enough for him.

Cheers, James

Quick Reply: Please kill me now.