Sponsored by:

Please kill me now.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Can you imagine taking body panels off today? Moss' Greatest win, yeah, either that or the Nurburgring that same year.

Bill
Old 01-13-2005, 09:03 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like I remember some ABC ? coverage of the Monaco GP back in the 70's early 80's with Jackie Stewart doing the color commentary. Pretty entertaining stuff back then for me. It's been a long time since I've seen decent coverage of anything, except the olympics, by the "big three". I really enjoy the Speed channel coverage and thankfully it sounds like they will still have it.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:40 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Me, I miss Sam Posey. Thank geawd Hobbs is still there. Otoh, I'm not so sure its a bad thing that the Nascar...er...Speed Channel doesn't have exclusive rights. I seem to recall that when Schumi past Prost for the most wins, SpeedNews led wth Nascar, followed by Craftsman Trucks, etc and proceeded through Outlaws until they finally talked about the F1 race. I will give them credit for sticking with GrandAm, Speed Challenge and Euro Porsche Cup (6 months after the fact), but to be honest the reason I pay $80/month for extended digital cable is largely to get some road racing. Their current evening lineup is absolute drivel, okay, the Nopi chicks are cute, but who the hell is that Cazzer dweeb? The F1 picture is crap and frankly I'm beginning wonder why I bother paying the premium anymore.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Maybe we need a Speed 1 and Speed 2. I would put all the NASCAR / NOPI stuff on Speed 1 , and F1 , Supercup, ALMS, Speed GT, Grand-AM, SCCA, Porsche Club and Rally on Speed 2 OK, I'm dreaming.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:24 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carreracup21
back in the 70's early 80's with Jackie Stewart doing the color commentary. Pretty entertaining stuff back then for me.
I can _STILL_ hear him say "It's a grrrreat grrrreat day for a motorcar race"... I really enjoyed (and miss) his race commentary.

Last edited by jgrant; 01-13-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJay
Me, I miss Sam Posey.
OOOOOKaaay......

We need you to pee in this cup here...

The only thing worse than Sam Posey is Sam Posey with Bobby Unser. Talk about Dumb and Dumber. My golden retreiver is smarter than both of them put together.

I will give them credit for sticking with GrandAm, Speed Challenge and Euro Porsche Cup (6 months after the fact)
Grand Am is a NADSCAR product and they have to keep grampa France happy. They are the title sponsor of world challenge, so they pretty much need to show it, but they do a damned little of it. I imagine Porsche Cup broadcasting is underwritten by Porsche.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
The only thing worse than Sam Posey is Sam Posey with Bobby Unser. Talk about Dumb and Dumber. My golden retreiver is smarter than both of them put together....
George,

Those were some classic broadcasts when they were covering CART. Sam would say something, and then Bobby would quickly counter with, "Sam, you are WRONG!!!!" That was some funny stuff.

When is your first race, George?

Rich
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
ouch!
not a fan of the unser family! but sam's ok Parkinsons not been good to him.
e
Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911
George,

Those were some classic broadcasts when they were covering CART. Sam would say something, and then Bobby would quickly counter with, "Sam, you are WRONG!!!!" That was some funny stuff.
They were embarrassing.

Originally Posted by 911
When is your first race, George?

Rich
A long time ago. Or do you mean my first race in my 944?

I'm about to start a mad dash to get it on track. I was unemployed for 9 months of last year and that certainly didn't help matters much. I've started scuffing the interior paint to get it ready to shoot. Everything that I'm going to take out of the interior is out with the exception of drain tubes, but as the car is setting outside at the moment, they will stay there a bit longer.

In my quest to speed the process up I think I'm going to try to do a light overhaul of the engine in the car and hope it runs (I don't know yet if it's a runner). I'll start looking for another to do a proper build. All it takes is time and money eh?

I'm competing in a different sort of endurance race this Sunday - the Houston Marathon (my first). Wish me luck.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by riviera 93
ouch!
not a fan of the unser family! but sam's ok Parkinsons not been good to him.
e
I didn't realize Sam has Parkinsons. Damn.

As for the Unsers, I'm generally not a fan, but I am of Little Al. Barring his substance addiction issues after his marriage went down the tube and his daughter contracted that nasty desease, I think he's always been a class act. I was at Mid-Ohio for a CART race 15 years ago and after the race the drivers were all running around being important and all.... Then I saw Al at the back of the trailer standing there signing autographs like he had nothing better to do. Very patient and REALLY nice with the kids, talking with them and all. I became a major fan on the spot. I've read other stories about him talking with kids and giving them his time and attention and this was before his daughter's problem. A genuine nice guy. I couldn't care less about the rest of the clan.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Or do you mean my first race in my 944?
George,

Yes, I meant your first race this year. Good luck w/ the enduro (marathon! - whoa. that's 26 miles further than I can run at the moment!) and let us know how it turned out.

Rich
Old 01-14-2005, 02:33 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

What about Chris Economaki?
Old 01-14-2005, 08:27 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
OOOOOKaaay......

We need you to pee in this cup here...

The only thing worse than Sam Posey is Sam Posey with Bobby Unser.
Me, I miss Posey! You think S&M is better? Posey is the first man to do LRP under a minute, Matchett is the only guy to ever jack Johnny Herberts *** in the air in under 2 tenths of a second. Mind closing your eyes and touching your nose.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Geo
OOOOOKaaay......
Grand Am is a NADSCAR product and they have to keep grampa France happy.
I thought Grand Am was created by NA$CAR grampa so JC France could have a series to race in.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Geo
Race Director

Me, I miss Posey! You think S&M is better?
Listening to Posey and Unser was a bit like S&M, but I digress.....

Mind closing your eyes and touching your nose.
What nose?

Quick Reply: Please kill me now.