Sponsored by:

GT3 cup car costs to race

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:05 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Bill, about the 964 engines life... Oliver's C2 was VERY VERY fast with over 100K on the original engine, with several years of track events. So you may never need to rebuild yours if you don't drive it on the street.
Mike,
Hope so . What ever happened to Oliver ? Is he going to do SCCA or something ? Yeah, I could go for the GT3 now as well, but I've been happy with the current ride so I'll hang with it for awhile. It's hard watching everyone else having a blast in those GT3's though and I can feel the allure of speed pulling me that direction. I need to somehow make it a business first so I can play with funny money. Enjoy the new ride when you get it.
Bill
Old 01-09-2005, 10:31 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Default D-Class Cars

When I mentioned the costs compared to a competitive D car, I worried someone might bring up the 964 Cups which are [obviously] less to run. What I was really trying to convey was that my observation of most people with highly modded/built racecars is that they regularly breakdown while the Cups are pretty bullet-proof. (Now watch, I'll probably breakdown at the next event for even saying that)

One sidenote that I have also observed with my own experience: I actually enjoy a bit of tinkering and upgrading of the car in the garage bnetween seasons and events - I'm guessing most people here do to. With the Cup car, there's nothing to do - they are pretty boring in that respect. I mean, it's kinda fun upgrading clutches, diffs, swaybars and the like - to me. With PCA rules anf the Cup car, you can't do anything. There's a better clutch for them - you can't install it. There are lighter rims - you can't use them. And, so on and so on.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

PatK, You have a PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:21 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by PatK-Mpls
Now, I know people are going to balk at that and point to the engine rebuild, but do you really think that a stock car gets much more than 60 hard track hours out of it before the leakdown starts falling off?
There's one huge difference between a GT3 engine a a 964/964t engine: Revs. Running it up to 8200 is vastly different than 6800. I would think a stock D engine would last 5-7 years, assuming no abuse.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Mike,
If you can do it now the heck with waiting. You could get hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow. You have mad driving skills that only those who know you understand. If you buy a Cup you might be the next president ...or something like that. Based on my experience PatKs numbers are right on. The one comment I woulds make is to be very careful when buying. Quite a few of the series cars have had some real hard bumps and bruises and some of the repair work is slightly less then Newton's quality. I have a real nice 04 US delivery virgin that is probably for sale . Let me know if your interested
Dan J
Old 01-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

HI Mike
I think you could give them hell in SCCA I posted this in another thread
I know what you mean with the well driven cup cars. My first weekend with the new car was at Sebring last year, David Farnbacher lapped me toward the end of the enduro. TRYING to follow him through 10-11-12-13 was a treat. The Cup platform transitions so sweetly from side to side and of course the sooner you get weight down the sooner you get back to the throttle
There is no doubt in my mind that you could due LRP in at least high 56's low 57's Where would that put you in SCCA?
The figures quoted hear for GTC3 look very much in the same ball park to mine except fuel cost is higher using VP c12 (and lots of it in a two race weekend !!)

For bang for the buck I think Scotto/Buger/Castagna are on the right track in GTC1 I hear the year to year updates cost a ton IE bringing a 2002 car up to 2004 spec.
good luck
Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

[QUOTE=PatK-Mpls]Here are my costs for operating a GT3 Cup in a Club Race:

Tires: Michelin Slicks - 1 set per race weekend: ~$1450
Gas: 100 octane no-lead - ~35 gals per weekend: ~$225
Front Brake Pads: 1 pair per 3 weekends at $500/pair: $165
Front Brake Rotors: 1 pair per 6 weekends at $600/pair: $100
Motor Rebuild: Every 60 hours at $20,000 (figue 3 hours per weekend): $1,000
Tranny Rebuild: Every 20 Events at $4,000: $200
Oil Change & Plugs: I change oil every weekend and plugs every third: $100
QUOTE]

PatK, and Redline Man's comments have nailed it down pretty good. The only other cost factors are the upgrades that you will face after a couple of years when your car becomes uncompetitive with newer Cups, and that could double your costs. But this might be a good time to buy a newer Cup if your main intent is PCA Racing and if the new 997 forces yet another class.. you'll be locked in with the most developed car in the class.

I'll have to check back with SCCA. When I raced with them, I had two choices, GT1 if I wanted a National class (tube frame Trans Am type cars.. I didn't have a prayer), or SPO which was good for Regional status only and was mostly cob job Corvettes.

As for tires, you'll only need new slicks for a race if your competition has them. I ran many race weekends on pro team hand-me-downs and otherwise used up slicks with CASC and SCCA because that's what everybody else was doing. Only the PCA guys use new tires.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:54 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...

Upgrade comments bring up a good point. If your intent is to win or at least be very competitive, you will have to have the latest version car for the class you are running, particularly C3. The jumps between model years are relatively incremental, but noticeable. Two years will put you at a significant dissadvantage.

Man in Nomex has an '01 car. He did '03 updates (computers/wiring harnesses, exhaust), but did not really stand a chance against the '04 cars. We now have the double adjustable shocks, and it will be interesting to see how the car fairs against the '04s now. These upgrades fall somewhere north of $20k. Of course now, the '04 guys will get smoked by the 05s.

This might give one the impetus to wait until the class is capped, and then buy the latest and greatest. Or... just get any good one and have a go. Great piece of kit!

Doug Adams was selling his, by the way.

Quick Reply: GT3 cup car costs to race