Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Hey Bill, Jim...

How are you guys? Yes, I did sell my Turbo car...and yes I picked up a 3R chassis, so it's in the works now..Might be turbo ...might not...

Bill, that guy at Mosport was Jim Sullivan from Rochester. The Mosport race was the first outting for that car...I built a twin turbo engine Cup engine for him and installed it just before the race. At that race it was limited to .6 bar for development purposes. Put out about 400HP to the wheels. Since then we upped the fuel delivery and now can run 1.1 Bar...it now puts out 535hp at the wheels and 575 lb/ft tq at the wheels. Better watch out for him!!!

I sold my turbo car after spending a little time in a cup car...the platform is just far superior!! With all my HP in the turbo, some cup cars with really great drivers could almost stay with me..!
I was at the Lime Rock race just spectating and found the opportunity to get in a cup car for the fun race...started dead last and came in third...BUT...with no experience in a cup car I still turned a 56.1..in traffic! That was it for me...then after seeing Savino with all that HP and googles of development $$ into his 944 swapping places with Spencer *** in a CUP car all race, I was convinced!!
So my new project will most likley be a 3R chassis a little lighter than a stock 3R...maybe 2200 or so and an unrestricted 3R engine with say 500-525 hp should be much more potent than a CUP car at 2850# with 390HP...and with bigger tires..!

Bill, I wish we had a chance to race this summer...you have really picked things up quite a bit with that new car, and now with a better motor...well, I'll just have to come at you from GT2R...instead of 1R..

Norm, I will see you in Sebring...I have 3 cutomers racing and I'm renting an 04 Cup car from Farnbarker/Lowles for the sprint race. You should be quite fast there..I would think a 2:10 should be possible..

See ya there!!

Rick

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 01-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rick – Norm (all)
Thanks – we did have a pretty good year nothing like close to 400bls lighter to make a hero out of the driver.
I know what you mean with the well driven cup cars. My first weekend with the new car was at Sebring last year, David Farnbacher lapped me toward the end of the enduro. TRYING to follow him through 10-11-12-13 was a treat. The Cup platform transitions so sweetly from side to side and of course the sooner you get weight down the sooner you get back to the throttle.
I knew Jim was down on power (thank god) at Mosport he was still all over me like a junk yard dog in the early laps using his ABS while the tires were cold. He got me nicely in the sprint and then I lost him in traffic, (no excuse). I did a much better job in the enduro.
All in all I think GT1’s will generally be a comfortably quicker at places like Mosport, WG etc. as we can dial in more down force in the high speed stuff and strait line speed but as you say at places like Lime Rock watch out!! And as you point out at what price $$??.
Sorry to see you leave GT1 of course I’m sure we will still be see each other somewhere near the front. It really shapes up as good class if we are all there. Steve Savino, Jim Sullivan, John Ellis, Norm and Me and maybe you if we show up at the same races? (no slight intended if I missed someone)
A 3Rs paired down to 2200 lbs OUCH! I would think motor maintenance expenses would be about the same on this car, that is a high revving natural Vs a turbo, my new motor will be about the same RPM/service life as the old shifting at 6800 with a Rev limit of 7200. What due you figure the service life will be running 525 (RWHP?) in the 3Rs. I’m going to Garret turbos I’m sick and tired of getting ripped off by Porsche Motorsports on the K-24’s.
Norm – I did not get into the test and tune day at Sebring. Would have liked to shake down and learn characteristics of the new lump but will just have to make the best use of Friday.
All the best
Old 01-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Jim Clark,

To get back on subject, I talked to a guy named Broadfoot, who I think was from Jacksonville, a couple of years ago about locking the 944 diff. He said he had tried it and it definitely did not work. It caused the car to push in corner, though I can't remember why. I eventually found a limited slip trans for a reasonable price, which is very difficult now, with all the people running 944 Cup, NASA GTS Challenge, that BMW, Porsche orginization, plus SCCA. I really wouldn't try it, unless I had a transmission, I was ready to throw away.

I too ran one in a Spitfire about 20 years ago, with no problem, but aside from Broadfoot, I know that Nort in Orlando, also says don't do it.

Your choice, though. If you do it and it works, keep us posted.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car

Quick Reply: Welded Diff.???????