Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage Padding

Was wondering if anyone has a preference on these available cage pads:

1. Kirkey high density foam.
2. BSCI SFI 45 rated foam.

It appears that some have velcro in the inside for the half foam types while others use tie straps, any preferences on attachment methods?

TIA
Old 01-03-2005, 09:50 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Kirkey offers two types of foam. Both are high density. One is SFI rated and one is not. I can't tell the difference except the price is a lot steeper for the SFI extorted... I mean certified version. About $7 a stick to get the SFI sticker.

One thing you do want to do is get the sticky backed HD pad. The HD stuff does not stay in place at all well like the old mushy stuff, especially on door bars that you grab or slide over. Cable ties will not keep it in place. It also does not form to sharp curves as well.

One bonus - other than increased protection - is that it can be sanded and smoothed to create nice rounded ends or mitered corners if you care to be that particular. I generally do.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:51 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High-density FIA foam on upper portions of the new cage, manufacturer unknown but I got it from OG Racing-- the fabricators used glue, thereby eliminating the need for zip-ties.

Lee in D.C.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

My SFI padding came with the velcro, which was held on with an adhesive. As soon as the cabin got warm in the sun, the adhesive softened. I had to add zip-ties to keep the padding in place.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage Padding