Sponsored by:

Mini street/DE car????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005 | 12:50 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Mini street/DE car????

I am in the process of replacing my daily driver with a Mini Cooper. In the process of researching the Mini I have come across a number of people that use their Mini Cooper S for track duty (lots more autox, but I am more interested in track).

I have had the bizarre thought of selling my 951 and prepping the mini for daily driver/DE car. Brey Krause makes a harness bar and with an upgraded suspension it should do quite nicely. Throw my Recaros in there and slap some 10lb racing wheels on when I am at the track and voila!!!

What do you guys think about using the Mini Cooper S for DE duty? I think I will learn more from driving a lower power car than with my relatively high power 951. Also, who here tracks their daily driver?

Oh yeah, I would probably sell my 951...am I crazy? Oh and I still love Porsches and my 951 but consolidating would make my life much simpler right now.

Thanks-
Max

BTW, I would still hangout on RL, specifically this forum as it is the best track discussion I have found online.
Old 01-02-2005 | 12:58 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macnewma
I think I will learn more from driving a lower power car than with my relatively high power 951. Also, who here tracks their daily driver?
I tracked my 2.5L Boxster for 3 years while it was also a daily driver. I turned it in back to the leasing company, and now I'm tracking my new daily driver, a Boxster S.

For what it's worth, if you are looking for a low horsepower car, I'd go with a 2.5L boxster, like a 1998. You'll learn a ton from that car, and you'll still be driving a Porsche.
Old 01-02-2005 | 01:15 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see quite a few Mini Coopers on the track with most of them being relatively stock. Don't forget that the Mini is a FWD car.

If you have spent some time getting your 951 just right for open track duty and feel comfortable in the car, it doesn't make sense to me starting over in a totally new platform. You're already talking about spending money on suspension and a harness bar. You'll probably need a separate set of wheels and tires if you want to be competitive on the autocross. So...it rarely makes monetary sense buying a new car to do the same thing that something you already own does quite well.

Are you looking for one car that you can drive daily and still enjoy on the track and autocross? Why not get a 944? Much cheaper than a Mini and there are plenty of them out there? You've already got some stuff in your 951 that can go right over.
Old 01-02-2005 | 01:34 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should back up. I really like my 951 and I do feel I can learn adequately in it. At the same time, since I am buying a Mini Cooper S as my primary car it occured to me that I could simplify things.

As far as the Boxster and 944 go, I wouldn't be able to use them year round here and I would rather just stick to the 951 as a weekend street/DE car.

I also realize that the MCS is fwd. I think that will allow me to learn even more as it is.

Basically here is what I see:

1. MCS + 951 = 2 insurance bills, 2 cars to maintain but a faster track car that I can toy with
2. MCS = 1 insurance bill, 1 car to maintain (under warranty!) but slower on the straights and no Porsche feel (but more nimble) + cash from sale of 951

Oh and I don't really care much about auto-x, I would just do it for learning and giggles. From what I see, it would cost about $1200 (BK harness bar + Konis) and I would be ready to roll.

Max
Old 01-02-2005 | 01:43 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

As far as the Boxster and 944 go, I wouldn't be able to use them year round here and I would rather just stick to the 951 as a weekend street/DE car.
I'm going to assume you mean because of snow. FWIW, I've gone through several major snowstorms (8+ inches in a day) with my Boxster. With a set of snow tires, the Boxster can be a very good all-season car.
Old 01-02-2005 | 01:50 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Tracking a Mini would be a lot like tracking a Miata, I'd guess. I drove a new Mini on a track recently. It's a very nicely balanced car, but -- even in the S configuration -- there's not a lot of power.

The downside to one car for both jobs is when the track car hits something or breaks. I drive my 911 more than my 'daily driver' car, but I do so knowing I've always got the other car if the 911 breaks.
Old 01-02-2005 | 10:15 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, yes snow driving is a major consideration. Carrying more than 2 people is also a consideration as is toting my dog. I thought about a Boxster a while back but I just wouldn't be able to daily drive it.

Jack, I think I can accept the lower power. I wouldn't even consider modifying the Mini to gain additional power as it would still be fairly weak. From my experience on the track, at least at my novice level, the additional power really doesn't add much fun. At the same time, I wouldn't turn down a GT3. I am pretty sure there are a fair number of very happy stock 914 and early 911 drivers.

I think part of my attraction to the Mini as a track car is that it would be similar to a Miata. The added bonus is its greater daily functionality. Now did the Mini feel at home on the track? Was the suspension and drivetrain up to the task? I know it will be more nimble than my 951, but I also know it won't have the same Porsche feel. I think I can live with that...for now.

As far as the car breaking, I am not as concerned about that with a Mini at the track as I am with my 951. Maybe that is naive. I know there is the possibility of wrecking, but that possibility exists every day. I wouldn't race the Mini as I know the wear and tear goes up significantly as does the level of modification.

Max
Old 01-02-2005 | 11:11 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like what you need is not the MINI, but the WRX Wagon... (My wife has one, loves it)

And if that isn't exciting enough, you could alwyas go for the STi, but it's probably more fun to hop up the cheaper wagon. Hauls an amazing amount of stuff, including a$$.
Old 01-02-2005 | 11:15 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I have driven the WRX in both sedan and wagon and it isn't nearly as fun as the Mini. It is more practical though and does have more power. The Mini does get about 10mpg better mileage which is nice.

I don't think I need the ultimate track car right now. I am pretty certain I am going to purchase the Mini, but I had not originally thought about tracking it. It just simplifies things by only having to worry about one car.

Maybe I will give the Mini a shot at a track event and if I like it I will sell the 951.

Max
Old 01-02-2005 | 11:53 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think I need the ultimate track car right now. I am pretty certain I am going to purchase the Mini, but I had not originally thought about tracking it. It just simplifies things by only having to worry about one car.
Max
Personally I wouldn't. DE isn't risk free, find some antifreeze or oil and your daily driver might not be available for a while. If its a money thing, as is often said, if you can't afford to lose everything, you shouldn't be out there. Perhaps you live in a state where you can get DE insurance, dunno. Second, its difficult not to want to do springs and shocks, tires etc which make the car a compromise for either activity. For me, having a dedicated car for track simplifies things, particularly when it comes to worrying, like worrying whether if I stay flat or lift in this corner will I still be able to drive home tonight. My advice, buy a pickup truck and keep the 944. I had to give up my nice 3-series BMW for an F-250 diesel, such is life.

One other thing to consider is who you'll run with. Not sure about your area but here at lot of PCA regions only allow Porsches at the events. You probably want to make sure there are enough venues for a Mini, which is a great car, I must admit, if you decide to go that way.
Old 01-02-2005 | 01:16 PM
Bradskii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use my 996 as my daily driver and do 5-6 DEs per year. I did the same thing with my M3. No doubt, it is cheaper to use one car to do both. But remember, as pointed out above, there are definate downsides. When my M3 "kissed" the wall, I had to find alternative wheels for several weeks. It comes down to your personal situation and pocketbook. To go against the grain, I feel the Mini S would be a great track car. It is a blast to drive, and doesn't need a lot of modification-"Not that there's anything wrong with that." Porsche guys are, for the most part, not going to reccommend Minis, and BMW/Mini guys are not going to favor Porsches. The beautiful part is, these are all good choices, whichever you decide will give you tons of fun!
Old 01-02-2005 | 01:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I drive a Mini Cooper S everyday. It's a great car and would be fun on the track once in a while, but I wouldn't trade any Porsche on the track for it. FWD is not my idea of fun in high performance driving. I would not hesitate to suggest it as a daily driver, but keep the 951.

Matt
Old 01-02-2005 | 02:38 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't imagine the MCS is as home at the track as my semi-prepared 951. I know it would be a compromise.

I think that I would learn more from a low hp fwd car for a few years and then bring back a 951/911/993/etc.

These are my main two concerns:

1. Being disappointed my the MCS on the track
2. Being stupid for doing 10-15 DEs a year with a daily driver

I am pretty sure I won't be disappointed with the MCS on the track. I know it won't scream down the straights like the 951, but the straights are boring anyway. I will probably carry as much speed through the turns.

I am still a little concerned about running my daily at the track. I guess it is a compromise between the cost of only having one car and potentially more down time versus the cost of two cars and less downtime.

I appreciated everyone's feedback. I'll let you all know what I decide.

Thanks,
Max
Old 01-02-2005 | 10:59 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Nice dilemma to have, eh?

Hard to go too far wrong here, but some thoughts -

I've been in a Mini S on the track (riding with a fairly experienced student) and I liked the car a lot. I haven't been in one on the street, but I think it would brighten up every day for someone who has one for a daily driver. It's a great car and just exudes good vibes.

That said, the question of having a Mini (or any other nice car) as both one's track and street car isn't easy. And I agree that the idea of simplifying life by having fewer cars is appealing.

I've seriously thought about it, and for me it wouldn't work. I'm now in the position of having a daily driver (Audi S4) that is a lot more powerful than my track car and handles great, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable driving it hard enough to be satisfying on the track. Despite all the modifications I have done to my track car ('87 924S), if I wreck it or blow it up it won't be a financial crisis. I could buy a 924S or 944 for a few thousand $ and with only a billion or so hours of work transfer all the good stuff over to it. To me, a track car that I can't drive all-out doesn't make sense.

So, I think the question really is about how hard you do, or in the future will, push the envelope on the track. I think if you don't intend to let it hang too far out, which is a perfectly good approach, the Mini would serve very well (the fwd issue notwithstanding). If you're going to push the limits on a regular basis, or want to keep that option open, having another car for the track is a good idea. To further complicate matters, you might even consider something other than the 951.

Let us know what you decide -

Matt
Old 01-03-2005 | 10:54 AM
M758
Race Director

Max,
In Arizona we have 944-spec and Spec-Mini S. On the track the spec mini's are just a tiny bit slower than the 944-spec cars. A good driver in Mini will beat a average 944 driver anyday. Their edge is in HP. Our edge is in cornering. Their cars are relativly stock 17" wheels and they remove the rear seats to bolt in a cage. Otherwise they appear to have full interiors.

Seem to be fine track/race cars, but had a front wheel drive car and would not get another. I just don't like the way front wheel drive's handle. It is a very different technique.

Quick Reply: Mini street/DE car????