Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Schroth 6 pt: Hybrid vs Profi

Would anyone care to comment on fit/comfort differences between:

Schroth Profi 6 point (t-bar type sub belts):
http://www.schroth.com/produkte/raci...rofi_III_6.htm

versus

Schroth Hybrid 6 point (sub attaches to lap belts @ buckle...best way I can describe it):
http://www.schroth.com/produkte/raci...hybrid_III.htm

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:54 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Chad DeMarco at Sube Sports. He knows a lot about Schroth (former American Rally Champ).
Old 12-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the idea of the hybrid myself. There is no safety difference according to the HMS crew.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:57 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Can't comment on the Hybrid as I have not tried them. But I have run the Profi for the last 4 years and like them a lot. The dual sub connects as one (single tongue holding both sub belts). Overall, they are quite comfortable and easy to put on. All tongues click into the camlock in a pretty reassuring fashion. I have the pull-down style shoulder straps and just added harness pads this year (I usually have the should belts tight enough to give a bit of light bruising, kinda a nut about being strapped in as tight as possible).

If there is one likely difference, it might be this... The buckle that holds the two sub belts really needs to remain quite low on the body to be effective at locating the main belts low and tight across the pelvis. This does not leave much room for your body parts, if you know what I mean. The buckle itself kinda forms a flat extension of the cam, not uncomfortable in my experience. I don't believe there's a big difference in clearance, but could be a consideration.

By way of reference, I am about 6' and run only about 160 lbs.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:14 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

THe t-bar always hits me funny when I am in student's cars. I worry that in an accident the t-bar would hit your femural artery and really cause problems.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the replies.
I'm heading up to HMS next week (little over an hour from the house) for HANS purchase (and helmet mounts installed), so I'll probably try and test fit each type and see how they feel.
I'll most likely end up buying the HANS version of the harness
Old 01-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

I would be curious as to how the Hybrid subs get attached. If it's a "slide the lap through the sub and into the camlock" arrangement, then it may prove to be a hassle to strap in. Please share your observations.

Thanks,
Old 01-01-2005, 06:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I should be heading up there this Thursday. I'll call and see if Joe will be there and will post my observations about the harnesses when I get home.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Dave,
I came across this:

http://www.schroth.com/english/produ...ogy_hybrid.htm
http://www.schroth.com/english/produ...nology_rfr.htm

Still can't quite see exactly how they attach to the lap belts. Should definitely know more after Thursday.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The sub belt has loops that the male end of the lap belt buckle slides through. It might be a touch more difficult to buckle with a helmet on.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:24 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
The sub belt has loops that the male end of the lap belt buckle slides through. It might be a touch more difficult to buckle with a helmet on.

All of that style I have used (which does not include Schroth) have a buckle on the lap belt and the sub threads through that and loops over the shoulder strap.
These are quite a bit more challenging to get buckled - especially if you are alos using arm restraints.

However, every safety expert I have heard from says this style is far superior to the standard (T-Bar) style of belt. The sub straps really wrap around yoiur upper leg and prvide a lot of support.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

I love the convenience of the Profi design, click, click, click, click... you're in! That said, they've been DE belts for 4+ years now. As I will be sticking the car and self into F-stock this year, I would certainly consider the Hybrid approach when the belts are due for a change. I allow a generous amount of time for strapping into the car anyway, so a bit more fumbling with belts wouldn't bother me.

You learn something new every day here at RennList. Thanks all.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:39 AM
brucegre
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the hybrids, and they work well. They only loop over the lap belt tongue, which is then inserted into the camlock. Not a quick belt to get into, but pretty comfortable on the body. Every now and again my five point will act as an anti braking device (it hurts, it hurts!), never had that with the Schroth.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I have the Hybrid system installed in my race car. Much more comfortable than any previously used 5 or 6 point sytem. I bought from Joe Marko/HMS Motorsports, and followed Schroth guidelines foro the install. I also referred to a friend's factory car (GT3 RSR). I bought the version with 3 inch lap belts. I would have preferred the 2 inch lap belts, but at tthe time (last winter) they were not yet legal for the sanctioning bodies under which I race. Now, with one exception, they are. Highly recommended.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry to bring this thead back to the surface, but has anyone ever seen or had experience with these:

http://www.curpiermotorsport.com/xca...ess-p-137.html

It appears to be very similar to the Schroth Hybrid concept.

Quick Reply: Schroth 6 pt: Hybrid vs Profi